THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Converting a ZK465 Hornet (1949)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Converting a ZK465 Hornet (1949)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted
Wallace,

I think you should keep that little beauty original. Have the barrle turned to original dimensions, and use the original ring bases for the sights on the new one.

And cartridge? The old good .22 Hornet is good enough, and a real classic worthy that rifle.

I have one, too. It�s a year older than yours, but hardly used. The previous owner bought that, and some other gun in the fifties, but never went shooting with them. Of course I took care of it, together with some boxes pretty good Sako ammo. I bought a Brno mount, in which I put a Leupold V1 2-7x33. Each autumn I take som black grouses with it, and it doas a proper work out to 150 yards.

The quality of these old Brnos is admirable. I also own a Mannlicher-Schoenauer from these days, which is considered one the best worked standard rifles ever. However, I claim that the czechians were still better gunsmiths. The finish and the blueing are exceptional for that class of rifle. The decline during the communist era was astonishing, however, and my other Brno, a Fox .222 Rem, from the eighties looks like rough cast iron beside this one. I presume yours has the same fine appearance!

Keep that nice rifle shooting!

Fritz

My ZKW 465 .22 Hornet - or as stamped on the barrel .22x36. On this picture it has a Nickel/Marburg 1-4x20 instead of the mentioned Leupold.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BAW,

I am a Hornet fan so thats the way I would lean, I have one of the newer cz 527 American Hornets and I really like it. I use sierra 45 gr softs out of it, scope is a leupold 3-9x50mm I use it as my "quiet" spotlighting rifle.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote