THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    RUGER Target Grey varmint rifles - accurate ??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RUGER Target Grey varmint rifles - accurate ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wondering how accurate these rifles are - anyone with firsthand experience ??

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The couple of ruger rifles I've had were nothing to write home about.One was a target grey version, it shot OK just not great. I I'd paid 3/4 of what I did for the gun, I'd have been happy with the way it shot.

Posts: 168 | Location: Kalgoorlie, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Ruger target gray laminated stocked rifles in question a few years back and it was NOT accurate at all.

It was a 22-250 Remingon and right out of the box it MIGHT shoot a 3 inch group at 100 yards, but then it might not.

I tinkered around and decided that the gorilla who put it together at the factory had over tightened the action screws. I had a hell of a time getting the thing out of the wood.

I checked the bedding which seemed reasonable and put it back together with a reasonable amount of tension on the actions screws. (Being carefull not to tighten the middle screw too much.) This helped, it suddenly became a 1.5 inch gun on occasion.

The instructions that came with it flat out stated that you should not try to glass bed these rifles.

I messed with it and messed with it. (The gun and the loads.) I finally got to where I could get an inch group with it on occasion.

Too bad it would not shoot well, it was a nice rifle otherwise. The gray finish was attractive, the laminated stock looked and felt good, the two stage trigger was pretty darned good, etc.

Meanwhile, my dad had just bought a new Remington 700 VS in the same caliber and we had it shooting 1/2 inch groups the first day we took it to the range.

Well, shortly after that a guy at the rifle range was just drooling over that Ruger, thought it was so pretty. I made him a heck of a deal right then and there.

I went and bought myself a Remington 700VS and liked it so much that I wound up buying a second one.

Those Rugers are reported to shoot well, but mine sure did not. Too bad, I used to have an old plain wood stocked, heavy barreled Ruger in 22-250 that shot great!

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ulrik Hentzer,

I own a Ruger M77/22VHZ in .22 Hornet and it came from the factory shooting groups that were just over MOA. A new Timney adjustable trigger, a little load work and it shoots under MOA all day now. It's my varmint calling caliber/rifle of choice. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several in 223 which are great!

I inherited one in 22/250 that did not do all that well, but did show a preference for certain loads.

Like Varget with 40 grain Ballistic tips,
RL7 with 40 grain Ballistic Tips
H 4895 at 32.5 grains with 55 grain SP and FMJs.

Will do minute of prairie dog if the shooter can hold her steady and not jerk the trigger.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one in 308 that was very accurate i.e. 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 200yds. I've had a number of HB 308's and would rate it competetive with my Savage, Remington, and Steyr's but not quite as accurate as my TRG-22 (which here cost 6 times as much). I like the 2-stage trigger and wish Ruger would use it on more of their rifles.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand Ruger is now making their own barrels so maybe that will help. I've always been afraid of Ruger. I'm sure many shoot well, but many do not. It's just too much of a hit or miss proposition for me. I hope this doesn't offend any Ruger owners, but that's the way it has always seemed to me. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
I own one chambered in .22-250 that seems to like a fair dose of Varget and the 40 grain VMAX. It's a keeper.

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote