New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1
 Login/Join

<Short 308>
posted
I am considering buying a Ruger #1 in a 30-06 and was wanting to hear from some owners on how accurate they are when you handload. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. The one I am looking at is the standard B with a 26" barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a ruger lt sporter in 06 for years a 1.5 rifle have done any speical loads for it just rt for deer out to 300 or so. My brother inlaw has a 1b says it well shoot under .750 but he takes a lot more time with his loads.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
Ive got the No.1 standard in 30/06 and it is a Bi Cen. model built in 76. The gun is very accurate with the right loads but will not shoot light bullets at all. Never had any luck getting it to shoot 150/165 gr.bullets but 180 and up is a different matter. The Hornady 190gr.BTSP will shoot 1 moa with heavy loads of IMR4831 and was getting 2835fps. The Speer 200gr.spit.also shoots very well with the same powder and was getting 2785fps. The main thing with the No.1 is to do some forearm work so the barrell is floated. The 06 only needed a spacing washer between the forearm and the hanger it attaches to. Ive got a No.1V that required a full bedding on the forearm to get it right. I mainly use mine for elk hunting so I dont need to use the lighter bullets. Think you would like the No.1 and with the 26" barrel you can really get more velocity out of your reloads with the 06.
Multi Vis.

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
I have a 1K in 7mm STW 3 shots under .5 some close to .3, has been worked on Moyers trigger and a Hicks accurizer and lots of load development, not anymore accurate then my bolt guns, but it does allow a 26" barrel that is still no longer than my bolt's 22". But it is a hell'uva lot better looking gun.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
They are pretty accurate if you get a good bbl and chamber. But first about that 1B 06.

It will be a 9 lb rifle with a scope! That's heavy. I have a 1A in .300 Win Mag and a least that caliber justifys the long bbl and weight to some extent.

For a No.1 in 06 look for a 22" bbl.

I got one of the first ones and it's was a 22" bbl in 7mm Rem Mag. I think the bbl were Wilsons then and they were spotty. Now I think Ruger bbls are much better. Mine would always shoot 1.5" at 100 yds however. I ended up hunting it a lot because the big thing about it is that it is always sighted in! That's worth more than a 1/2" group to me. I wore the bbl out and Ruger rebarreled it. It's a 30-06 now as they don't make a 22" bbl in 7mm Mag. Now it shoots in 1". It may do a lot better but I shoot all of my sporting rifles hand held. I hold the forend in my hand and rest my wrist against the sandbag.

I have had others. They all shot well. The trick is to free float the bbl. You just carve up a faucet washer and put the screw thru it between the hangar and the stock.

I like #1's, the tang safety is really handy. But even the 1A in 22" weighs 8 lbs with a scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don Martin,

Actualy,for the first three years or so,Ruger #1s were made with Douglas barrels.These are the most accurate Ruger #1s out there.They then moved to Wilsons,then Herters (gag),then in house.My #1B 22-250 has a Wilson made barrel (1976),and it will put five Nosler 60 grain Partitions into an inch at 300 yards (that's right,300 yards).My little #1S in 45-70 has an in house barrel,and with a random load out of the book it will put three into an inch to an inch and a half at 100 yards.I have a little #1A in 7x57 that would have either a Wilson or Herters on it (1979 gun).I have no worked up loads for it yet,that's going to happen in a month or two,but with the few rounds of factory ammo I shot out of it,it looks to be a shooter.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote