New
Find
Notify
Tools

My swift likes it....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Its been several years since I have done any load development with a 220 swift. I got financially embarrassed a while back and an old heavy barreled ruger 77 in 220 swift was one of several rifles sacrificed for filthy lucre.

However, I recently had the opportunity to pick up a 220 swift in an older Sako AII that was in good condition and appeared to have very few rounds down the tube. I scoped it with an older 2.5 x 8 vari x III scope. As I mainly shoot at 200 yds or less this magnification scope is perfect for the shooting I do.

I had some rounds I had loaded recently when zeroing the scope but had not had the chance to test. The following two groups were shot at 100 yds off a bench and rest at the range. Cross wind of approx 10mph.
I had gotten some other groups near an inch but these two groups using 52 grain hornady a-maxes over 41 gr. and 43 gr. of H380 were the best. I think I've found my coyote load.
GWB

41 gr. h-380 velocity @ 3,753, 3,727, 3,761 fps.

43 gr. h-380 velocity @ 3,910, 3,920, 3,919 fps.

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Gun.

Great groups, she likes to run fast. I've had very good results with 380 in the swift as well.

Keith

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
Oh what a stunning rifle! It also shoots as good as it looks. I have not had the success you have had with 380 and 52 A Max. For my Swift it is H-414 and the A max or H-4831 and the 55 B tip. Some guys call the Swift the orignal deathray I strongly agree Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle in a great calibre . My first centrefire was a new L579 in Swift and I always regret having sold it.
Mine liked 44gns of H4350 behind the 52gn Hornady match BTHP .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Holy Hannuka!!! 43 grains of H-380? The most H-380 I can use in my current Swift is 38 grains.... Amazing how much difference there is in individual guns, isn't it?

The other load my Swifts have all seemed to like is 40 or 41 grains of IMR 4350 under 55 gr .223" diameter Sisk Express bullets.

Great cartridge, isn't it? I've had one or another in that chambering ever since 1960. Once had a pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester Target, which came with two factory fitted barrels (special order). Sold it in 1981 to Erv Heiman of Edmonton, Alberta. I was insane to do it.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK GW. now looking at your range results, I will load similar tomorrow then off to the range with a FN Supreme double set trigger .220 Swift purchased from Jason......will try your load first.....regards, r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's a sweet-looking rifle...not to mention fantastic groups.

The coyotes in your part of the world better beware... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 42 gr. H380 years ago, but those loads were smokin fast. They are probably over 4000 fps with a 52.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote