New
Find
Notify
Tools

Since when did...
 Login/Join

<MikeW>
posted
the .300 calibers become small calibers.
Not trying to be critical just seems out of place considering the forum.

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
You got to draw the line somewhere..and with a 1008 caliber as a (near) upper end, 0.300 IS well below halfway.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats a mighty good point. I come to this forum to learn about small calibers. I get tired of hearing of the same ol 30's everywhere else.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
<ssleefl>
posted
If we are drawing the line halfway I guess a .475 is a... medium caliber? There are so many .30 cals they should almost have their own designation.

small .17 - .284
30 cal
med .338 - .375
Lrg .40 - .50
Insane above .50

------------------
"A school of Tuna led by a Shark can beat a school of Sharks led by a Tuna"

Most divorces are based on disagreements over small matters, so are most murders.

<cyberhick>
posted
first it was the .30-30, which was instant success and still is a great caliber. Then came the .30-06, no need to embelish there. Start with two great .30 calibers, and the only place to go is up.

cyberhick

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
When I suggested this forumn to Saeed, the thought was since we had a big bore board, we should have one for small bores, though we never defined what that was, and since this board is pretty much anything goes, no reason to get upset.

Personally, I consider 30 caliber and under as small bores, but for this board, I was thinking about 22cf's and under and especially the more esoteric rounds like the flees, crickets, 20's, 17's, 14's, 12's, etc.

Anyhow, if you want to talk about 30 cals, no problem, but you might get more feedback on the reloading board or the big game board. I really can't see why folks are posting about 338's here, perhaps they aren't reading the title of the board before pposting?

[This message has been edited by Paul H (edited 10-23-2001).]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<MikeW>
posted
I'm not upset it just doesn't seem right
especially since there is a forum right above this one titled "Big Bores"
I except to see posts about the .12,14,17,and 20's here,maybe even the 6mm and 25's if they are on a small case.

I guess if you are used to shooting a 50 a 30 is small bore. I just don't think the .30 cal. falls into the category of small bore.

In other words just the opposite of big bore.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Yup, perhaps the best way to state it is, the big bore board is for rounds larger then most folks hunt with, and the small bore board is for rounds smaller then most folks use.

Since the 30 cal is pretty much a std caliber, it falls outside what I'd consider discussing on this board, but I'm not going to jump on folks cases for posting about 30's here.

<Slamfire>
posted
I believe when this forum was started that 6.5s were considered to be the largest, but .30s are a tradiditonal limit, and I am comfortable with that. I did see a thread about a .338 which kind of suprised me.

<BLH>
posted
A small caliber is one that you can shoot 500 rounds in a day and not have your ears ring, head throb and shoulder sore.
Brooks

one of us
posted Hide Post
The big bore form states for 375 and above.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I shoot 200 gr cast bullets at 800 fps from my 35 whelen, no recoil and quiter then a 22rf, does that make it a smallbore? ;-)

Now common, this is all supposed to be fun. It started way back when on the big bore forumn when I started a thread to see how small of a round folks on that board had. Then I suggested to Saeed we have a smallbore board, he agreed, asked if I'd moderate, I said sure, and here we are.

What makes this such a great place is the moderators generally don't moderate. I got real sick and tired of a paticular board where the moderators would move threads, saying, this is off topic, you should have posted it here, I'll move it for you, yada, yada.

I won't do that here, and have yet to moderate a single post. To those that want to discuss 300 mags, I would think you'd get more traffic on the reloading board, but if you want to discuss them here, fine.

Now, why don't we foucus our energies on discussing some interesting little rounds?