Find
Notify
Tools

35 gn .224
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
I just bought a box of the tiny-little 35 grain v-max bullets.

Any load data for them out there, Varget, RL-7, H110, (Unique!)

I cant find anything for the 223. just a couple of obscure .22 calibers. also. What about the
LONG jump to the lands in a 1-9 twist?

TIA

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I was able to shoot off 22 calibre air rifle pellets using a Unique equivalent. I did not bother with fillers. Even the smallest powder charge would drive the pellet out. I loaded up hornet equivalent loads using the same powder. Again, no filler. (I had found it made no difference). What I did do, was keep my powder charge less than half of max charge (in case of a double charge - a triple charge would really overflow the case. A double charge was also quite visible with a quick look). Hope that helps.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
check out seafire2 or do a search on bluedot loads

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Shot out of 20 inch 1-9 AR-15 .223

35 VMAX IMR4198 24.0 3777fps 1109ft-lbs 63fts spread. win primers and win cases

Didnt shot paper but blew up some water jugs and cans. shoot some and let us know how they worked for you.

Jason

Posts: 81 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot about 1,000 of the 35 gr Vmax with 15 gr Blue Dot at 3500-3600 fps.

It can go 4100 fps with 18 gr, but don't do it. It will have pressure sign and bore fouling.

I have no luck with it in AR15s, will not cycle.

But I have shot two Ruger #1s and two bolt action rifles that will shoot consistant sub moa with 15 gr Blue Dot and 35 gr Vmax.

I have killed prairie dogs at 250 yards with 15 gr Blue Dot 35 gr Vmax, but it takes extra effort with the elevation and windage.

The 35 gr Vmax and 15 gr Blue Dot works best for ground squirrels out to 180 yards with a very high hit ratio.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just my personal opinion and I'm a big time fan of Hornady bullets and the V-Max's in particular....."BUT". The 35 V-Max has the BC of a ping pong ball and bleeds energy and velocity at an amazing pace. To me that bullet isn't worth the bother unless a guy is looking for a bullet to duplicate .22 Magnum loads using a .22 Hornet.
The 40 grain V-Max is a "FAR" superior bullet and one of my favorites.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montdoug:
Just my personal opinion and I'm a big time fan of Hornady bullets and the V-Max's in particular....."BUT". The 35 V-Max has the BC of a ping pong ball and bleeds energy and velocity at an amazing pace. To me that bullet isn't worth the bother unless a guy is looking for a bullet to duplicate .22 Magnum loads using a .22 Hornet.
The 40 grain V-Max is a "FAR" superior bullet and one of my favorites.

+ ONE.. well said...

berger's 30 and 35 grainers are a better choice although a little more money...

Calhoon's 37 grain HP is also a dandy bullet...

Sierra's 40 grain HP is often overlooked nowadays in the world of plastic tipped bullets being popular....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sierra's 40 grain HP is often overlooked nowadays in the world of plastic tipped bullets being popular....

I agree seafire and use them as well. My hunting pardner shoots a ton of em in his triple duce.
Also the 40 BlitzKing. No tests run to prove this so just using observed "rat smackage factor" I think the 40 BlitzKing might have just a titch thicker jackets than the V-Max's. I've had several .22 cals that if all I did with their favorite load was change between the 40 BlitzKing or 40 V-Max the groups never showed the change. Because of my real or imagined belief in the thicker case walls I usually use the BlitzKings it stuff that's a little faster. Also the V-Max's are usually cheaper.
I think your right however the incredible BC advantage a guy gets from the plastic tipped projectiles only comes into play quite a ways out there (except for the 35 V-Max Big Grin), for most stuff the old reliables work fine for less $$$.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 35 grain V-Max is a hoot in a Hornet and its short profile will fit in Hornet magazines that will not accomodate the length of a 40 grain V-Max or B-Tip. Both of my Hornets (regular and K-version) shoot it well and it absolutely vaporizes small varmints, even at very modest speeds. But I agree that if you're shooting a .223 the 40 grainers with their sharper ogives and greater SD are better adapted than the little 35 grainer.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montdoug:
The 35 V-Max has the BC of a ping pong ball..
.. 40 grain V-Max is a "FAR" superior..

Yeah, but the 35 gr were 5 cent blems...

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote