Find
Notify
Tools

Roberts Lovers !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got me another Roberts !
Some of you may be aware of the saga of my recent situation regarding buying an FN marked .257 roberts only to find out the hard way that it had been rebord to 25,06.
Well, I made a 300 mile round trip drive yesterday to return the rifle to the guy I bought it from, then went to the shop of a gun smith i use and said , show me every thing you have in .257 roberts. Ended up buying a very prety custom on a early springfield 03.
The rifle was a personal rifle of my smith, chamberd for the 6.5X57. He installed a timney and squared it all up good and shot it for years so chamberd. He later took the 6.5 barell off and used it to build a .260 and put a 24 inch douglas .257 tube on and chamberd it for the roberts. Never shot it as a roberts so the tube is new.
Later he had a stock turned from a very unusual piece of walnut, you will not find another like it I am sure. More collers than you can belive in one piece of wood. any way, its a classic style, with a gloss finish. Not yet checkerd.
I will have to replace the striker as he cut the mushroom off, but thats no problem he will blue one in the same tank next time he fires it up.
I plan to mount a leupold VX3 2.5X8 on it but it will ware somthing different till I can affrod the Leupold. I am loading up some Sierra 100 grain Bts over Win-760. to the length the book gives, and I will bring along a bunch of other loads I did for The fn. It will be funny to see if the loads I did for the FN chamber. As you can imagine since the rifle was really a 25,06 , I seated the bullets out rather far looking for the lands.
Any way I pick her up on Saterday and will shoot her off the hood of my truck. I will post a picture if I can, Hosting sights and such are forign to me. I am pumped ! My favorite deer round in a Beautiful rifle.
It will be awhile before I get it chekerd, but then it will really be prety...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thomas,
Glad that your happy now, with what you really wanted in the first place. I love it when a plan comes together.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a awesome gun. I'd love to see some pics when you figure out how. I had a .257 roberts barrel installed on a vz 24 action last year and I love it.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do you want to meet me & shoot?? Charley Elliott or Elberton gun club.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to meet anybody and shoot but I am in Oregon, and I never herd of those clubs....tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually these are clubs around Georgia & I should have said for WEAGLE..but you are also wealcome, let me know when you will be here

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I'm alway up for some shooting. Charlie Elliot is the closest place for me, but Elberton isn't too far either.

Weagle

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Lets see some pictures of your 257Bob and tell us what loads are working for ya, always good to hear what loads are working for other shooters, so far 90 and 100 gr bullets shoot great in my Ultra Light Ruger 257 with IMR 4064 powder over max load but no pressure signs, CCI primer and RP cases.
I don't normally push my loads much out past the book but most books are real conservative on 257 loads and this combo kept getting more accurate the more I pushed it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Good to hear it. My own is a Browning A-Bolt but I have a couple of mauser actions set aside to eventually make into Roberts.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Roberts in a Remington Classic. It is a little gem.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the few rifles I ever regretted selling was a 257 Roberts in a Rem 700 Mt Rifle.

Congrats, and enjoy your new rifle.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I looked around for a .257 roberts for a while and finally decided to build one. Here's a link to the project. It's just a utility hunting rifle, but it's in the configuration I wanted and I'm pretty happy with it.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=58867

Good shooting,
Weagle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weagle. Thats a nice project you did. i too would be pleased. I did a 35 whelen adams and bennet job and it turned out real well.It has the bold safty too ! I got lucky , my chamber was fine from the factory, and when I go elk hunting I usually carry the whelen or my 45/70.
I will be picking up my Roberts tommorow. I do have another roberts already. Its a little ruger Rl like somebody else here has. I put a timney in it and free floated the barrel, put a dab of bedding compound in front of the lug and played with loads till i finaly got one it likes. It shoots a 100 grain tripple shock over 46 grains of H-414 at 3100= and graoups between .75 and 1.25. But the thin barrel heats up awfully fast, and I wanted a roberts that I could shoot several loads in different bullet weights in. I am pumped about this springfield. I have 20 hand loads that I did up to OAL spec,
and I will take a few that I did for a different rifle. If they chamber OK I will try them all. I going to put a 3.5X10 VariX 3 i borrowed from my .338 win.
But I will probably put a lwer power varible from Leupold or Burris on it long term. I like the 2.5X8s real well but I would love to try the 1.75X6...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Thomas, I have only shot one small deer with my roberts and it was with a 120 gr partition factory load. (too much bullet, but i got some dirt cheap) I've got a bunch of different bullets since I bought a big lot of .257 bullets on ebay, but my hunting load is a 100 gr partition. I've heard great things about those tripple shocks, but I haven't been able to build up any trust that they will always expand. My major concern being out around 300yds where the velocity is pretty pedestrian.

I am already planning another roberts. This time I'm going to do a light weight one on a remington 600 action.

Weagle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a smalll mule deer buck with my Roberts at just over 100 yards. And yes I was using a tripple shock. It flatt out did the job.I shot him right in the crease behind the shoulder and the bullet must have hit right on a rib cause the entrance wound was huge.
I figure bone fragments was the reason for that. The exit wound was about 2 inches across. The buck stood still for a second. Jumped high in the air turned around in a circle 1 or 2 times then dropped dead. All in about 3 to 5 seconds.
I put a post over on the handloading page about this, but I called a nosler tech the other day and they have a factory load that uses the 110 grain accubond at 3040. He was kind enought to tell me that they use VIT-N-550, to push it, but that IMR-4350 And RL-19 were also good. If I can find some, the VIT 550 is gonna get a shot...tj3006

freedom1st

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
One of the few rifles I ever regretted selling was a 257 Roberts in a Rem 700 Mt Rifle.

I recently picked one up here on AR a few months back. It had some honest wear, but has proved sound as a pound. I shot 8, 5-shot groups today with it, 5 of which were less than 1" at 100 yds. My pac-nor barrel 722 action in 257 can do a bit better (same barrel contour), but it is awful hard to be disappointed with that type of performance from a lightweight factory rifle...

If it makes you feel any better, I parted with a NIB 7x57 mountain rifle - never have gotten over that one... killpc

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Guilty as charged. I bought a Model 70 Featherweight for my daughter when she turned 12 with the thought that if she didn't like hunting, I'd have a nice lightweight rifle. She has shot three deer in three years, and will occassionally let me shoot the gun (usually only when I work up a new handload for her). The rifle will consistently put my handloads with 87-grain ballistic tips and 100-grain partitions into 1-inch or smaller three shot groups.

I guess that I will have to find or build another for myself.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3842 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote