New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 PPC
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I know one of the members hear was having one built. Just curious if you've gotten it yet, and how it's shooting.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, When I was home in December it wasn't finished. I'll be back home for two weeks over Christmas and am hoping it will be finished then. Since last posting regarding this I ran into a guy who has built a 6.5 PPC on an AR15 type rifle for competition. He says he's getting ten shot 3 inch groups at 600 yards. He's using H335, 128 gr bullet, and is getting 2800 fps from a 26 inch bbl. He has a description of his rifle on his web page. I'll see if I can find the link.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I meant when I was home in September.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Thanks for the update. I've been pondering what would be a good first gun for the kids. If I can push 120 gr to 2700 fps, then I think it'll make a dandy black tail deer and caribou gun, with very little recoil.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I agree with you. And for old guys who don't want to carry the nine pound 3006 any more. It should weigh six pounds with a 2 X 7 Leopold VariX III compact when finished. It will be 40 inches long. I sure hope it's finished in December. I already have the Lapua brass and am ready to get started testing. I'll probably try the 125 gr Nosler first. Also I'm taking the other 527 carbine to a different 'smith in December for a 6 mm PPC bbl for a walking varmit rifle. Can't wait

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Paul, while I would not discount the effectiveness of a 6.5 PPC, I think I would go with either the BR or perhaps even the new WSSM case. If for no other reason than that there IS no more PPC brass, just the 220 Russian that must be fireformed. I would think that before/after necking to 6.5, you probably also need to anneal. Whereas a 6 mm to 6.5 necking operation would be a no-brainer operation. As a matter of fact, the PPC case capacity is so close to the 222Mag case, I think I'd go with a 222mag/6.5 configuration before the PPC (and I HAVE a PPC!).

Also, the BR/WSSM case stay with a standard or magnum bolt face. If the rumors of a new "mini" action length from both Winchester and Browning are true, then both the BR and WSSM for a light carry rifle would be ideal. Reamerrentals is taking orders for 6.5/243WSSM reamers for delivery in December......

Another thing to think about is that there is a rumor of a 7.62x45 case being introduced by norma (a 7.62x39 lengthened to 223 length). Might be a very interesting platform for a 6.5, as well. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regarding the 7.62 X 45, the guy who built the AR in 6.5 PPC also mentioned that. Dutch, I agree, it's just that the 527 in 7.62 X 39 is so easy to convert to the PPCs. Also with the help of another member I've got four boxes of Sako 6 mm PPC ammo coming and looking for more. Anybody hears of any available I would appreciate a heads up.

<Cobalt>
posted
Bob, I should have the ammo in hand tomorrow. It will be waiting for you upon your return. Will make a pic and send via e-mail. I think my PPC will weigh a bit more with the varmint wt Kreiger and 6-24X50. Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cobalt, My company is probably acquiring more aircraft and if so I'll be going to Ft Worth earlier for training. We might get this done in November but if not in December. Appreciate the help.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Dutch,

Thanks for the input on the 6.5 BR, I was actually thinking of it as another option. As I recall, the little Charles Daly mauser is available as a 22-250, so that would be a good candidate for the 6.5 BR.