THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Biggest Beast youve taken with the 250Sav...?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest Beast youve taken with the 250Sav...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
..bullet used?...range?
This could turn out to be an interesting if not controversial thread.

one of us
posted Hide Post
90 pound doe..340 lasered yds, thought it was 200, aimed at the spine hit the heart.. 120 speer hot core @ 2,550fps

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a few whitetail does and one medium buck from 100-150 yards. None went more than 30 yards. 100 Hornady flat base at 2700+. Going after antelope this fall with the same bullet at 2800 fps.
I've got a book written by a Montana writer telling of his father using the 87 factory load on elk with very satisfactory results back when the M99 was king.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesA rather large mule deer doe. 87grain FP bullet driven a little below 25-35 performance, at about 20 yds. The shot entered the front of the neck and angled down into the chest cavity. Instant kill and bleed out plus rupturing the asophigus. Big stink there. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Small whitetail buck range about 60 yards, 100 grain Nosler Solid Base, Ruger RSI.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bull Moose in Newfoundland back in 1973. I broke my rifle in a fall, and the guide lent me a 99 so chambered. I was suprised on how well that cartridge did. As for Load I think it was a 100 gr Remington RN. The thing I remember most was when I fired the first shot, I never lost the sight picture. If I was going to do one up, I think a NULA Model 20 would be sweet.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
216 lbs. field dressed whitetail buck. Dozens of other whitetails, coyotes, 'chucks, plus a few pdogs, turkeys, and badgers. Mostly with a couple different Savage 99s, a Savage 1920, a Winchester 70, and a Ruger 77 RSI. The Ruger 77 RSI seems like a close to "perfect" vehicle for the 250-3000 cartridge. Short, handy, reasonably accurate, what more could you ask for in that little cartridge?

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of deadkenny
posted Hide Post
'Downed' a piece of paper at 100 yards with 3 'cloverleafed' shots. Wink Thanks for the thread, please don't let this 'sweet' little cartridge 'die'. It really is a close to 'optimal' case for .25 cal, 6mm as well as .22 cal (the last one being the only really 'popular' member of the family).

one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
I have a custom Rem 600 in 250-3000 that hasn't killed anything big but has killed everything I have shot with it. I wish someone would chamber it on a regualr basis.

"One shot is usually enough..."

Posts: 487 | Location: OK | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote