THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: What's an ACCURATE .22 mag?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What's an ACCURATE .22 mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a plain-jane Savage model 93 about a year ago. Since then I've replaced the firing pin and spring (provided free from Savage) because it was misfiring. I also stoned the sear and installed a much lighter trigger return spring. The wood has rough edges. It's an el-cheapo gun, but here is a can I recently shot five shots at, at 200yards. I don't know where the fifth shot went. The ammo was Winchester 40g solids. I used a Simmons 3x9 22mag scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan,

It was a fine ball powder. The pulled bullets were 40gr. I tried duplicating the load with W680 powder, but it was slow and inaccurate.

A friend of mine loaded his Contender with 50gr. bullets.......he stopped adding powder when the case rim started to swell. Sheesh!!!!!!

Kevin G.

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went through a 22 mag "phase" this past summer. Bought a CZ, trigger had a lot of creep and would only group around 1.5". Got a Cooper, very nice wood, great in every way, groups about 1/2" with Remington Premiers. Got a Ruger (wood stock) tried lots of cartridges with little luck. Finally tried cheap Winchester FMJ, 1/4" groups! The only mod to this gun was a Timney trigger kit. Bought another Ruger, doesn't shoot worth a flip! Tried 3 different Green Mountain barrels, Volquartsen stock, maybe get a 1" group on a good day. I guess what I'm saying is that it's pretty much a crap shoot, but I don't think the problem is the ammo.

Posts: 54 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Savage 93ss under MOA all the time...at least mine did it!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an all weather/laminated stock Ruger 77 in .22 mag, fairly heavy barrel on it, but the one that came on it from the factory, i had the rifle recrowned and the trigger worked up on it. I have a Leupold 2x7 Rimfire SP on it in the ruger rings. Up until this past summer, it would shoot 1.5" groups if not larger at 100 yards. I tried a box of the remington premier bullets loaded with vmax's in it, the gun now will shoot three shots, all touching in a tight lil clover leaf at 100 yards. I also had a marlin, it was cheaper, and seemed to be inherently much more accurate with more types of ammo, but i got rid of it in favor of the Ruger.

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a 94/22M Deluxe once that shot 'bout anything in a 1-1.25" group for 5 shots at 100 yds. Sweet rifle, crazy wife. She sold it. Have new wife.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Leftoverdj, the HandiRifle is the most accurate non fussy on ammo 22 Mag I have ever owned. I have a Marlin Bolt action, that was bought as a 25MN, but I got a Laminate Stock for it and had a trigger job done on it. It's favorite ammo is CCI, real 22 Mag ammo, It throws Maxi Mags all over the place.

With a Target turrent scope on it, I shoot consistently prairie dog sized targets out to 200 yds, and beyond.

The trajectory of the CCI ammo is pretty consistent.

Never tried a CZ 452, but if it is half as accurate as the 22 LR one I have, it has to be good. I would buy a CZ if I had to replace one of my 22 Mags now. However since I started reloading 223 cases to 22 mag specs, I find I use the 22 Mags less and less.

While everyone rants and raves over the 17 HMR, I am not that impressed. It does every thing it says it will, but still big deal. The 22 mag is more terminal in my experience with both cartridges.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read a magazine article some time ago dealing with 22WRM accuracy. The gist of it dealt with the bore diameter being different from the regular 22lr. It said some manufacturers don't make enough of the magnums to warrant the correct barrel size so just use the long rifle barrel and chamber it for the mag round. It also cautioned about 'convertible' 22 rimfire revolvers--those that come with 2 cylinders--one isn't going to shoot for crap because the barrel to bullet fit is incorrect for proper accuracy. One of the gunsmiths who frequent this forum might shed some light on the actual bore diameters, but I think the 22long rifle is .222 and the rimfire magnum is .224 like modern centerfires. Either the lead bullet wobbles down the bore or gets squeezed out of shape whichever way the mismatch occurs.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote