New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking to get a 26" heavy barreled 25-06, my choices seem to be the Rem Sendero, Savage 112 FV or BV, or the Ruger 77 Varmint. The Remington looks the best on paper but there have been a lot of recent posts about Remington quality. Anyone have any experience or comments on the Savage or Ruger? Also, does anyone know if the Ruger 77VT is a long action like the standard 77 30-06 (their web site is pretty poor)? All opinions gladly welcomed!

Posts: 57 | Location: Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have fired several sendero's in various calibers and they all shot very well.I did own a ruger 77 varmint and it shot fairly well but I really didn't like the trigger.I have only fired one savage rifle and it wasn't impressive but it was an old 264 win mag that had seen a lot of use so the throat may have had some erosion.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
I own two 25-06's now (both are customs). IF I were going to buy a factory rifle in your configuration, I handle the Rem and Savage, and buy the one I liked best or fit my budget. I'd pass on the Ruger.

JimF

one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Senderos. One in 7MM Rem Mag. and one in 25-06 Both shoot well under MOA. Have had some 1/2 in. groups with the 25-06 No quality issues noted. Great rifles.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own several Rugers, both 77's and #1's. A good gunsmith can either help the stock trigger or replace it. You get scope mounts,a very nice looking gun for several reasons, and as far as I'm concerned the quality is hard to beat. You won't have any trouble selling it either.

Posts: 44 | Location: Deer Park, WA. 99006 | Registered: 23 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a Rem 700 BDL in .25-06. It has a standard 4 profile barrel but ive fitted a HS Kevlar stock, with homeloads i get .325 inch groups at 100 meters. Excellent rifle, trigger easy to adjust and absolute death on anything it touches. [Eek!]

Posts: 136 | Location: England | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Hux>
posted
I have a Ruger 77 VT in 25/06 and am mostly happy with it. Shoot .7" with 85's and 100 Nosler BT's.

Have had a 1 off experience with 75gn VMax's of .3" however unable to duplicate it.

I actually like the trigger and a good smith can get them really nice.

Had a sporter Rem 700 BDL as well and it shot consistent .75" with just about any 100gn pill....shouldn't have sold it but the barrel was stuffed.

I'd prefer the lighter HS stock on the Rem Sendero though....but here in Aus the Sendero is very $$$ premium over the Ruger.

<reload>
posted
Have a number of Rugers and like them,The latest is a target in a .308 and have only put 20 rounds thru it and I think it will be a good shooter. also a 257 roberts and a .25-06 in rugers and they do well. Remingtons are good especialty if you are going to do some custom work on then, gunsmiths like working on them. All rifles need work done on the triggers and a really good scope for good accuracy! Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
go with the remington. has the best action and if it does not shoot they can be made to shoot extremely well with aftermarket products like a jewell trigger, glass bedding it or if need be a new barrel. chances are it will be fine though. buy the remington.

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one of the early Savage Varmint guns, 110 action SS with no magazine cut in .25-06. It gave absolutely reliable .6 groups BUT only with 115 Nosler partitions and more IMR 4350 than I am going to admit to here.

Never could get any other load to shoot worth a whoop.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I've shot several different rem 700's and haven't shot one yet that doesn't perform well. I'm sure there are exceptions i just haven't seen them.

I have seen several factory one hole @ 100 guns though.

The 25-06 sendero would be my choice.

I had to have mine in a 257 weatherby though! [Wink]

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Get the Sendero. I'll put mine up against anybodys .25-06 in any other brand/model. It is the single most accurate non-target rifle I've ever shot - and will beat a lot of target rifles/cartidges.

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Sarge:
Get the Sendero. I'll put mine up against anybodys .25-06 in any other brand/model. It is the single most accurate non-target rifle I've ever shot - and will beat a lot of target rifles/cartidges.

Oh, and the .25-06 and 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips "kill like chain lightnin'".

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Your concerns about Remington quality are well founded but the Sendero doesn't seem to be seriously affected....I think they are still made in Illion, NY (which is a good thing). The one I bought last year was a very good shooter and had good fit/finish.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a big Remington M700 fan, I have a 25-06 in a Limited Edition model that came with a Sightron scope in 4-X. This rifle has a 26" clean barrel and a better than average looking stock. This gun shoots!

I have a M700 chambered in 257 WBY also 26" barrel that shoots better than the factory 25-06. Both rifles have a #4 taper barrel (+/-) which is the standard weight barrel for Remington.

I have a new 2002 Remington M700 "Classic" in 221 Fireball that shoots well beyond my expectations with factory ammo no less. I see the stocks going down hill and a poor choice of dye color on cheap wood as the #1 distraction from the standards Remington had in years past. Plastic stocks might be a better value for the consumers.

I have and do own Sako, Winchester, M98 Customs, Ruger, Kimber, Weatherby, and other stuff like Klinegunther and Gustof rifels, but if I wanted to start new I would look for a near new used Remington.

Posts: 53 | Location: Grand Junction, CO USA | Registered: 13 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what its worth--I have a second hand, beat up, not too pretty, bone stock Savage 110 25-06 that shoots as well as any rifle I've ever owned (at any price) as long as you feed it 115g bullets. I have had great success with .338, 22-250 bbl and 30-06 Savages also. I may be mistaken but I think a guy can get one for just about half of the Sendero price. Up to you but I'm tending to accumulate more Savages (read: "fail to sell")than any other make because they shoot great, don't malfunction in the field, and allow me to buy more rifles! Enjoy whatever you choose, it's a fun round.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot an M77 BB 25-06 and it shoot quite well. When varmint shooting with a 25-06 it is nice haveing that heavy barrel.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill T>
posted
I have a Remington 700 Varmint Model in .25-06 that is very accurate. However I purchased it new in the late 70's, and cannot comment on Remingtons quality today. The gun is stocked in Walnut, not Tupperware. I have a Redfield 6X-18X Variable on it with Redfield mounts. This is the most easy to load for rifle I own. It shoots everything well. I've had 117 Gr. Spitzer Boat Tails go under 5/8" as long as I do my part. I think the .25-06 is one of the most balistically well proportioned cartridges today. It's case compacity to bore size is very well balanced. I just don't know which company I'd buy a rifle in that caliber from today. There is so much talk about poor quality these days. It gets confusing. Bill T.