New
Find
Notify
Tools

shot my 6.5x58 type A mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
light recoil and a pretty accurate rifle maybe i,ll take it on my first deer hunt??...paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am curious !
Never herd of the Type A mauser , or a6.5X58.
Now a 6.5X57 I have herd of, is this a wildcat, or a europian round and tell me somthing about the rifle,please, mabye a link ? or a picture.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the gun is an original sporting rifle from the mauser factory in oberndorf,germany built about 1926 it was made for the british market as it has 1 standing 4 folding leaf sights ,horn forend,single trigger

the round was made for the portugese military mauser it did not have a long life as the military swiched calibers and a lot of the guns were rebarreled i think to 8x57
i guess at one time there were a lot of portugese living in east africa this is where the round was popular sorry i,m not good at posting pics but you can go to westley richards .com and under european rifles you will see it it is a rare cartridge for the mauser sporter as well as the military configuration......paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have a little gem of a rifle there - very cool. That rifle would be a joy to carry for deer hunting and I hope you are successful. I think that hunting takes on a whole new dimension when you carry a rare cartridge/rifle combination like that. Good luck. What bullet type/weight are you shooting out of it?

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had the bullets made for me by bob hayley of texas who was reffered to me by rcbs/huntingtons dies . he made me 3 boxes of i think 160 grain i didnt even ask him i just wanted something to test out the accuracy . at 50 yds.i was able to keep a 3 shot group in a 1 1/2 -2 inch group standing off hand as if i was hunting .
every rifle i buy i say this is the one i will take hunting but i never happens ,im on rifle #30!!!............paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those 160 grain bullets in 6.5 are great game bullets (great penetration). I also understand the problem of choosing which rifle to take huntuing. My only solution has been to take two rifles along in the truck. I have been known to take three.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those 160 grain bullets in 6.5 are great game bullets (great penetration). I also understand the problem of choosing which rifle to take hunting. My only solution has been to take two rifles along in the truck. I have been known to take three.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3, did you go to westley richards site to take a look at this gun,,they still have a pic posted even though i have had the gun for over 2 weeks now it is listed under european rifles .......paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
That is one cool rifle. I love the floorplate release lever that are found on older German Mausers. Your rifle looks like it is in really great condition. It sounds like a great shooter too. Congratulations on a great find. I really like Germanic styling on rifles - I am a little odd in that respect I guess. I really like the little full-stocked Kurz Mauser in .250 Savage listed right below yours on the web page.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
There is no nicer rifle than a Type A sporter.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys....paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the Type A Mauser, but I had one of the original Portuguese mausers in 6.5 X 58, and it was really neat! I had a cheap red dot scope on it, and was getting half-inch groups or so at 50 meters with 160 reloads I made from 7 mauser brass, and without proper dies. Really fun, but boy, did the muzzle heat up on that one!

Posts: 25 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I saw a Saur (sp?) Drilling at the Des Moines gun show today, looked like an imperial grade gun, very nice, cira-1920's. Overall condition was 92-95% with good bores. He had it listed at $13.5K

It was 20ga-20ga-6.5x58R!

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote