Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 ADL .222rem
 Login/Join

posted
I just bought a rem 700adl .222,and i cant get it to shoot small grups at 80meters,,it shoots with,,sako BX 50grains, 30-70mm tree shoots grups.
lapua 55grain sp 30-50mm.
sako 55grain sp 30-50mm
s&b 50grain fmj 25-30mm.
any one know if this is a ordenary shoot grups with r 700adl or shuld i try to find more suiteble ammo fore it,what ammo is best fore it?
any one know? ,i use it fore red deer hunting.
please help me,,lol

one of us
posted Hide Post
Normally, a Remington ADL in .222 is very accurate. There are many possible causes of poor performance (although groups as small as one inch at 88 yards is not all that bad). Check the stock screws, the bedding for stock warpage or uneven pressure, the condition of the barrel, and the scope and mounts.

A .222 is pretty light armament for red deer. Are you sure you don't want something heavier?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
eouropean red deer is normaly not bigger then 35-40kg. i have chekd the stock screws and the scope mounts,is the 1-14inch barrel twist better fore 1.9-3.2grams
bullets?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use 50-53gr pills, and IMR4198 or IMR4895. My stock rem788 in 222 is digesting both of these powders quite well and 1/2moa at 100yds is pretty normal.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "bench mark" load that I always use in a 222 consists of 24.3gr BLC and bullets between 50 and 53gr. I've owned quite a few 222s (still have 2) over the years and unless there was something wrong with the rifle (or the shooter) this load has always come in under an inch and in most cases a lot better.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of roebuck222
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRdeer:
eouropean red deer is normaly not bigger then 35-40kg.

I'm afraid your information regarding European red deer is way off mark,IMHO the 222 is not a adequate calibre for Red deer unless you were very close or went for a neck shot,the following is a link to correct info on Red Deer

http://www.deer-uk.com/red_deer.htm

I shoot a 222 all the time,and I am confident that it would take a Red under very specific circumstances...but these are very very few

Cheers Roebuck

Posts: 165 | Location: Scottish Highlands | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of roebuck222
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek
A .222 is pretty light armament for red deer. Are you sure you don't want something heavier?

Totally agree heres a few pics of what you might be thinking of shooting MRdeer

http://www.deer-uk.com/red_deer1.htm

I think you will agree for the most part you will be under gunned,and do a lot of wounding and have a lot of tracking on your hands,if shooting from any reasonable distance.

Not flaming you but a Calibre rethink may be needed

Cheers
Roebuck222

Posts: 165 | Location: Scottish Highlands | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had this happen many moons ago - same thing, only I had had the rifle for quite awhile & knew it shot well. Cure finally ended up taking some J&B bore polish and scrubbing hell out of the barrel.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with roebuck222,

The Rem. 222 is too light for deer this size and for deer in general.

I did shoot a yearling white tail once with a 222, right behind the shoulder. I had to chase it down and finish it with a second shot. I won't ever use that light of a round on deer again.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRdeer:
eouropean red deer is normaly not bigger then 35-40kg. i have chekd the stock screws and the scope mounts,is the 1-14inch barrel twist better fore 1.9-3.2grams
bullets?

The 1-14" barrel twist should stabilize everything up to around 60 grains in a spitzer bullet, so a 55 is certainly no problem. If the gun is used, have you done a thorough bore cleaning?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
well i have cleaned the barrel with outres super solvent,but not polishd the barrel yet.
may bee the barrel is yust to new and have to be
shoot in more,i have removed the wood under the
barrel at the front of the stock.well im gonna try to polsih it and se if its shoot better and even try normas 3.2sp,but i know lot of hunters think that the bullet is to weak fore deer.
red deer is maybee not the right name for the deer we hunt with .222..capreolus capreolus is the latin name fore it,dont know the english word fore it.fore bigger game il use my sako75ss .308.. troll

one of us
posted Hide Post
capreolus capreolus = roe deer.

A .222 Rem will do for those, given a healthy dose of self-discipline. Choose a bullet that will stick together well - as opposed to a varmint bullet. Something like a Hornady 50 or 55 grs SP normally does the job. A .222 Rem will likely have a 1-14" twist barrel, so you'll be limited in your bullet choices to bullets at or below 55 grs. I don't know the characteristics of the Scandinavian bullets you mention.

As to what is the cause of the largish groups?? Hard to tell from a distance. One way of telling whether the gun will shoot or not, is to get a box of RWS target cartridges: "Scheibengeschoss" - 50 per box, not immensely expensive - although, I don't know if they are available in Norway? (Guessing about location here). If the RWS ammo won't shoot, then start looking at what might be wrong with the rifle, scope or mount.

It sounds like the rifle is new, yes?? Are action screws tight?? Who mounted the scope, and are the screws tight?? What kind of scope is it, and is that new as well? Would it be possible to try another scope and see if that helps?? All this to be tried with the RWS ammo - because we know that almost always shoots pretty decently. If none of this works, take the rifle/scope back to the dealer, and have him help.

For a light barrelled .222, it would not be unreasonable to expect 5-shot groups around 2.5-3.0 cm. If you get that with hunting ammo (not the RWS target ammo!), then you are ready to go hunting.

You should not use the RWS target ammo for hunting roe. It is very accurate, but the bullets are not made for hunting big game - even as small as roe.

Good luck
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Rem. 700 ADL in .222 Rem. in the early 1970's. It took a few hundred rounds before it shot well, but then it was very accurate. I wore it out shooting prairie dogs and ground squirrels. I had good luck with 45 gr. Hornady Hornet bullets, 50 gr. Sierra semi-spitzers, 50 gr. Rem. HPs, and the 63 gr. Sierra semi-spitzers. For something the size of a roe deer, I would recommend the Rem. 50 gr. SP. I watched a friend shoot a mule deer with this bullet from a .223 Rem. It went broadside through the ribs and left about a 1" exit hole and made a clean kill. It also left about a 1" exit hole on several coyotes. I have never gotten the Rem. SP in the .222 to shoot quite as well as the HP, but it is plenty accurate for deer and seems to hold together fairly well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are these ADLs in a 222 even around or available or are these used rifles?

I have been desiring a 222, and in an ADL would be just the ticket if it especially had a 24 inch barrel like the 223 version of the ADL.

I load ammo for a nephew's Savage 340 in 222. and with RL 7 and ballistic tips, this is one accurate shooting cartridge. RL 7 did better for accuracy than all of the other powders we tested. Second honors went to IMR 4198.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote