THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    short barrel : 222 or 22-250?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

short barrel : 222 or 22-250?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an opportunity to buy a cheap Luger chambered in 222 rem or in 22-250. This rifle will be used for target shooting and eventually on foxes, cats, other small varmints, and roe deer, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on an expensive rifle just for that. The barrel is only 50 cm long. My question is, isn't that too short to get all the benefit of the 22-250, and must I go for the 222?
BTW, this gun also exists in 223 which is restricted here in France (military...), what is the difference between 222 rem and 223 rem???

Thanx

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A shorter barrel doesn't necessitate that you pick the cartridge with less powder capacity. It is true that the .222 will lose a lesser % of it's full velocity potential, but that just means that it is more efficient. You will still get much higher velocities (I'm guessing 250+fps as I don't have my reloading manuals nearby) from the .22/250...the reason is that it burns more powder (even in a barrel that is only 50cm long. So I suggest that you choose the cartridge that you really want based on your intended activity as they are both great rounds.

I can't speak to the effectiveness of the .222 on roe deer, but it can certainly handle your other intended usages quite well. I would suspect if your shooting ranges will be under 250 yards then the .222 would perform just about as well as the .22/250. Beyond that and I think I would say that it's a no-brainer to step up in performance.

There is really very little difference in ballistic performance between the .222 and the .223. The performance edge goes to the .223 as it has about 1gr more powder capacity which isn't really significant. You can probably get an extra 75-100fps out of it and thereby extending its effective range maybe 50 yards.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<350RM>
posted
KB, the 222 is a lot more attractive to me: the action is shorter so you get a really diminutive rifle, ammo is cheap as dirt (did you talk about target shooting), and easy to find, efficiency on small critters is real, and for Roe Deer, sako sells a barnes X load.
The 22-250 is an excellent varmint and roe deer hunting caliber, but its velocity is hard on barrels.
By the way, if you shoot for tagets mainly, the luger might be light. A friend of mine is selling an accurate winchester in 222 with a bull barrel, and a 4X12-40 I think for 4000FF...

olivier

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.
Sorry Olivier, You friend's offer sounds attractive but I cannot buy his rifle, unless he is left-handed... [Frown]

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .222 will give you much less muzzle blast and flash in the 19 2/3" barrel, and likely has plenty of power for your intended game.

By the way, what's with pricing merchandise in Francs? I thought you guys were all using Euro's now.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote