New
Find
Notify
Tools

.25-06 improved?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would someone please tell me more about the .25-06 Improved? I assume this is a simple chamber ream to blow the shoulder out. How much extra case capacity is created and what are the gains in velocity with 100 grain bullets? I presume dies are readily available, who is a good source?

I shoot a Ruger #1B with standard contour barrel (26") and I'm toying with the upgrade.
What is the rate of twist for this rifle model and what bullet weights are normally suited to this rate of twist?

Would a rechamber to 257WBY be safely possible in this rifle and what work would need to be done to the extractor, etc? I assume this would be a lot more money to do.

thanks in advance,

Mike (Red)

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go to the expense of improving a #1. To do it correctly you need to remove the barrel set it back and rechamber. The rib will cause problems with this. If you are looking for speed then it would be far simpler to go with the 257 Wby. No setback is required and the motification to the extractor in minor. Or the extractor can simpley be replaced.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Why? Every load I use still has a little room left in the case.