New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222 v .222 mag.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking to get a new caliber, and I am trying to decide what I want. I think that I have it boiled down. I am wanting a rifle that is fun to shoot, and has good accuracy out to about 250 yards. I have been reading some posts about barrel life and it has changed my mind about a caliber I was thinking about, so I have thought maybe these are what I am looking for. I am wanting it plink around with and also varmit hunt with, such as groundhogs, foxes, and cyotes. I was wanting some suggestions on these two rounds and if there was a big difference between them, such at accuracy and killing power.

Posts: 25 | Location: Peebles, Ohio | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brass availability for the .222 Mag is a problem. .222 is a jewel but unless you're just dedicated to being outside the box, get a .223 rem. There is little substantial difference in performance between the three of them, but the .223 is common as dirt and available in every configuration under the sun.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really want something off the wall go for a 224 Weatherby Mag.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
whiter, If you are looking to walk into a gunshop and buy one of these 2, you will probably find some 222's but a 222MAG is going to be hard to come by! I have a 222MAG and have shot them for going on 30 years! Super little varmint round with inherrent accuracy! As has been stated, brass is not very plentiful but Lock, Stock and Barrel usually has a good supply! Try one if you can find it...you'll love it! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am planning on reloading the rounds once I decide upon a gun. I am in no hurry to get one, so once I figure out which one will best fit me, then I will get it. I will look around some local gun shops and see if I can find both. So, will both of these rounds do fine on the game I mentioned earlier around 250 yards and also be accurate? The reason I am not going to get a 223 is because I shoot mostly with my uncle, and he already has one, I love that round though, but I just want to get something a little different to play with.

Posts: 25 | Location: Peebles, Ohio | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can see a safety issue coming up here, you're using 222mag, uncle, 223rem - in the heat of the moment, it's too easy to grab the wrong cartridge and you have problems. The 223/222mag is so much the same, it's not worth the bother of different cartridges, and instead of EACH of you carrying enough ammo for the day, you can split the load! My 2 cents worth after spending a LOT of time in the bush. Don't worry about 'different', if you're serious about hunting, it's the result that matters, ie, food, trophy, whatever, rather than the exocitness (?) of the cartridge.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whiter:
I am looking to get a new caliber, and I am trying to decide what I want. I think that I have it boiled down. I am wanting a rifle that is fun to shoot, and has good accuracy out to about 250 yards. I have been reading some posts about barrel life and it has changed my mind about a caliber I was thinking about, so I have thought maybe these are what I am looking for. I am wanting it plink around with and also varmit hunt with, such as groundhogs, foxes, and cyotes. I was wanting some suggestions on these two rounds and if there was a big difference between them, such at accuracy and killing power.

.....As the other post state the 222mag brass is harder to find but with a good chamber match with your dies the brass last for many loadings and is decent brass in the Remington brand.....as the other post states the 223 is much more available and tradeable/sellable if you decide to switch but the 222mag is a slightly better cartridge than the 223 for a handloader with the slightly longer neck but it takes a good chamber and loads to tell the difference and I have both......and had several of each....as to accuracy....toss up...depends on the brass/load/chamber and barrel.....velocity can be slightly higher with the 222mag but not enough to make a difference..imo and experience..and often the accurate load is almost identical in velocity......I've had Remington's and Sako's in the 222mag and I love the Sako small action for the 222mag/222/223 but the Remingtons shot well also....just not as small and streamlined as the small Sako action.....but shooters!! good luck and good shooting-loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the .222 compare the the .223. I know that the 223 is bigger and has a longer range on it, but will there be much of a derrerence in the accuracy. Do they both shoot about the same out to around 250 yards? Since the 222 mag is almost the same as the 223 I probably wont get that one for the reason that you said about getting the ammo mixed up. I can use my uncles gun when ever I want, that is why I am wanting something alittle different. Also will the 222 still do the job on game out at the range I mentioned? By the way thanks for all your input already. It is appriciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whiter,

NOT buying a rifle for fear of "mixing up ammo" or my other favorite; "you can't just go in ANY gun store and find THAT ammo on the shelf" is to me absolutely ludicrous. Makes a person sound like they are so simple they can't exert a little caution or organizational skills.

If YOU want to try a .222 mag, buy or build one and have at it. Brass IS available and 200 rds will last you for many years. IF you shoot varmints by the hundreds each session a .222 or .223 IS certainly easier and cheaper to feed.

Steyr used to chamber the .222 Rem mag years ago. I had a 20" full stock carbine in .222 mag. double set triggers, oil finished wood and super accurate. In a fit of stupidity I sold it years later. STILL kick myself for that one. One still sees a Rem 40X from time to time in .222 mag too.

The standard old .222 Rem is a CLASSIC cartridge; very accurate, as well as easy on YOU and your barrel. That would be a good #2 to look for. For ranges out to 250 yds with the rigt bullet for your intended purpose it will work.

Good Luck

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The RGULAR .222 and then the .223 would be my choice. I have had better luck [25 years ago] with the 222] than with the 223. If you choose the 223 you must DETERMINE THE TWIST and go which ever bullet it was made to shoot.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the .222Rem. and the .222Rem. Mag. and wouldn't part with either. Get yourself a few hundred Remington cases from Sinclair, Hart or several other suppliers and you'll be in business for years with the .222Rem. Mag. It's a very accurate little bugger and slightly faster than the .223. It is probably a bit less accurate than the .222Rem., but some years ago you would occasionally find them in benchrest matches. I accidently fired a .222Rem in my mag. chamber a while back. Nothing was harmed, but that .222Rem. case sure looked strange when I ejected it. I prefer a heavy barrel in all my varmint rifles. IMR 4198 and IMR4895 get good results with almost any good 50-55 bullet. I think most owners are pretty happy with them. You certainly don't hear too many negative comments. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to a local gun shop today, just looking around to see if they had any of the 222 or 222 mag, and they had one 222. There are a couple of other gunshops close that I am going to take a look at in the next couple of days. I am hoping to find the 222 mag somewhere. I will wait a while and see if any of them can get a hold of one for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whiter: I have a 222 Remington Magnum Custom Varminter now that is built on a Sako action! It is an amazing and superbly accurate rig! I have put away a lifetime supply of brass (as of many years ago) in response to rumors back then that the 222 Magnum brass might go away! Not yet I see.
I have a truckload of Varmint Rifles (and 2 Varmint pistols!) that use the 222 family of brass. Universally all of them are accurate! From 17 MachIV to 6X47 they are ALL impressively accurate! I think I have em all 17 MachIV, 17 Remingtons, 221 Remington Fireballs, 222's, 223's, 222 Remington Magnum and the 6X47. I heartily recommend any of these calibers to Varminters and accuracy seekers!
As far as the 222 Remington Magnum performing in the field it tops the 223 and does so with not much barrel heat, good brass life (forever?), economical and like I said sure to be accurate!
I would say check into availability and costs for factory Rifles I think the Cooper folks make 222 Magnums and maybe some others (T/C - Sako?). I think the brass will be around a while longer! Maybe I should give a W.A.G. here about quantifying the 222 Remington Magnum! I think the 222 Remington Magnum is almost a 3% all around better round than the 223 Remington! If you have any interest in using the 55 grain bullets then the larger capacity 222 Remington Magnum should work out nicely there also.
Beware of some loading manuals though in your considerations as at least one manual (latest Sierra!) shows the 223 outperforming the 222 Magnum! This is incorrect! The 222 Remington Magnum and safe handloads will out perform the 223.
Please refer to Ken waters wonderful (glowing) write up in his loading manual regardingthe 222 Remington Magnum and his comparison to both the 222 and 223.
Good luck with whichever you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .222, .223, and .222 Magnum in virtually identical rifles. As far as accuracy, power, and range, there's really not much practical difference in any of them. The .222 is loaded by the factories to lower pressures than the other two (for reasons known only to them), but if loaded to the same (reasonable) pressure, the .222 is close enough to the others to count it the same. The .222 has a reputation for easily-obtained accuracy (and is, by a very slight margin, the most accurate of mine), but both the .223 and .222M can match it with a little effort.

As I see it, your choice is more likely to be made based on the rifles available, and since both the .222 and .222M are rare in factory chamberings these days, you'll have a much easier time finding a .223 that suits you. Buy what you like an have fun.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you could only have one of the rifles, wich one would it be and why?

<reload>
posted
Take the .222, it will shoot 40 to 50 grain bullets faster than the .222 mag. The mag does a little better with 55 grain and up. If you hit varmint at 250 yard he or she could tell the difference. Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the gunshops around here are making me mad. Everytime I go in one and ask about the 222 they try to talk me out of it and try to get me to buy a 223. I wish that someone would just help me out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
whiter,
I have an original Rem. 700 ADL chambered in 222Rem. Mag. It has been professionally refinished by a gunsmith(bluing&stock finish) I am willling to part with it for a price. I'll throw in 100rnds of new brass, Hornady dies, and a Redding Neck die. It's not what I would consider a tackdriver, but it will shoot 1"moa groups with a 6X scope which isn't too shabby for my old eyes.
How does $500 sound?
That's about as much help as I can offer.
I need a new bow (actually want) a new TD recurve bow, that's why I can part with it.
BTW 222Rem. Mag brass is readily available.

Rem. 222

Posts: 516 | Location: Ar. | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whiter,
You have a PM

Rem. 222

Posts: 516 | Location: Ar. | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad ordered a 40X 222 from the custom shop through a gunsmith friend of his,for about 1750$.when he got the gun it was marked 222 on the box but 222 Rem Mag on the bbl.and was stocked different than he ordered.He called Rem and they told him he was mistaken,because they hadnt made a new 40X 222 Mag in years.he read them the # off the gun and they offered him more back for it than he gave for it.

Its single shot ,27 1/2 inch bbled,Kevlar stocked and stainless steel finished to mirror quality.He put on a Jewel trigger,a 36XBR in Jewel rings and never looked back.

it shoots low .2`s most times.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats is crazy about the rifle. I would have held on to that also. It sounds like I will be happy with which ever one I get a hold of. Everything I hear about the 222 or 222 mag is good. I am glad that everyones is performing well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whiter: The reason gunshops try to talk you into a .223 is that that is all they have available. You'll likely have to go to a used gun to find a .222 or .222 Magnum. That's a shame, but that's the way it is. Try Auction Arms or Gunbroker on the web, or drop a classified WTB on right here on AR.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 700BDL is the only Rem still chambered in 222.I think Cooper & Kimber still make them.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whiter,

Over the last year, the "gun expert" John Haviland, has had at least two stories published in which he pronounced the .222 and the .222 Mag. as dead, and suggested that anyone not accepting this should "seek counseling". That's a good enough reason for me to continue shooting my .222 and I would buy a .222 Mag. if I could fine something I liked. I think I will also stop reading his articles. This is the type of publicity that will kill off good cartridges, that's what happened to the 6mm Rem. and that is why the gun salesmen push you toward the .223. I personally do not care for the .223 but that is no reason someone else sould not own one, or two, or three. [Smile]

Just the way I see it,,,,, [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, at various times the .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, .257 Roberts, 7 x 57, .45/70, and a host of others have all been declared "dead" or "obsolete" by one gun "writer" or another. They have to fill the pages with something between writing fawning articles about whatever new "improved" product is advertised in their pages that month.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Mossberg (by Howa) 223 which was a very accurate gun. I traded it for a Sako Vixen in 222Remmag and am very happy with it. As others have pointed out, there is not very much difference in fps between them and the 223 has an enormous amount of loading data and supplies available. I have 2 disapointments with the 222mag, one is the limited suppliers of brass (Rem is all I have found so far) and in order to fit the magazine I have to seat the bullets deep(this is rifle specific). This rifle is a keeper!
Fred

Posts: 37 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ma Bell,

John's article torqued me more than a little too. It was almost comical. The very reason I ordered my Cooper chambered in .222 was to own something "a little different" than the typical .223.

The 6mm Remington is also one of my favorite cartridges.

JB...currently seeking counseling.

[ 11-01-2003, 05:17: Message edited by: JB in SC ]

Posts: 129 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One advantage to the 222 is Fine Lapua brass and custom dies are much cheaper for it than the 222 mag. Either will work superbly in a properly built rifle . Make sure you get a "tight" chamber and throat it right. The long neck of the 222 will give versatility for a wide bullet weight range. I would suggest that you talk to a true benchrest gunsmith. He will probably try to talk you into a 6mm ppc or a 22 ppc ( with good reason ). But; he can properly chamber a 222 or 222 mag to get optimum accuracy.

[ 11-01-2003, 06:57: Message edited by: Old & Slow ]

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had both the .222 and .223 in different rifles for many years and have shot a ton of stuff with each. Been very happy with both but before the cheap availability of .223 brass and ammo, Jack O'Connor wrote in his book Rifle that if everythig was factored into a computer the .222 mag is the best all around 22 center fire round available. This includes stuff like the 22-250 and 220 Swift. The only problem I have with the .222 mag is that I have never been able to lay my hands on one to play with. Think outside the box, go with a .222 mag and help keep a great cartridge alive. I think its fun to field a rifle/cartridge combo that not every Tom, Dick and Harry has. Your a handloader so after getting some cases on board, you'll be set and it won't cost any more to shoot than the .223. Could also give a slight edge in performance.

woods

Posts: 48 | Location: st. charles | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just Thought about it some more. I have a Rem 700 BDL Varmit in .223 thats gitting a little long in the throat. Bet I could have it rechambered to .222 mag for about $125 bucks. 500 cases from Midway would cost me a hundred bucks and would last till I die. Darn, I like your idea more all the time! What the heck, I can always pick up a .223 to replace it. Kinda like finding walnuts under a walnut tree. Or maybe just shoot the other .223 I have.

woods

Posts: 48 | Location: st. charles | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote