New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Killed With Disease
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know I am probably in the wrong topic but I am gonna ask anyway. A buddy of mine killed this deer and it had what appeared to be blood spots all throughout the meat, we thought someone had shot it with birdshot at first but found no lead. Then as we looked closer it appeared that the spots were rotten. We threw it all away and I have been trying to figure out what this may be. I have contacted the conservation office but haven't heard anything. Just wandering if anyone may have seen this before.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Was that just in the backstrap or other places too?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
That is indeed weird. I've never saw anything like that. Please keep us informed.

Steve E..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend in PA shot an 8 pt buck this season. He got a call from his butcher to hurry over. The deer was rotten inside, the entire body just about. My friend said he noticed it had a stink when he gutted it but he had shot it running away from him and figured it was the intestines getting splattered. They turned it in to the Dept of Wildlife.

May I ask the original poster what state the deer was harvested in?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could it be inected with CWD, Cronic Wasting Disease?

I have never seen it just read about it but from what I have read it slowly rotts the meat from whitin.

Either way I would soak your knife and any other instruments used in bleach to be safe.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_wasting_disease

“Most cases of CWD occur in adult animals. The disease is progressive and always fatal. The most obvious and consistent clinical sign of CWD is weight loss over time. Behavioral changes also occur in the majority of cases, including decreased interactions with other animals, listlessness, lowering of the head, blank facial expression, repetitive walking in set patterns, and a smell like meat starting to rot. In elk, behavioral changes may also include hyperexcitability and nervousness.”

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_wasting_disease

“Most cases of CWD occur in adult animals. The disease is progressive and always fatal. The most obvious and consistent clinical sign of CWD is weight loss over time. Behavioral changes also occur in the majority of cases, including decreased interactions with other animals, listlessness, lowering of the head, blank facial expression, repetitive walking in set patterns, and a smell like meat starting to rot. In elk, behavioral changes may also include hyperexcitability and nervousness.”

KB that PA deer I mentioned was a very healthy looking specimen and he ran as normal as could be. He did not have the wasting disease.

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I am thinking it is parasitic in nature.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In illinois the deer heard was affected by a parasite that has been called EHD or some call it blue tongue, I was told once the first frost occurs the parasite would either go dormant or die

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
RE: Blue Tongue; more than we would like died to this in Kansas over the last two years. I don't know if that is what your deer had or not but we lost a lot of deer here.
Insect vector and drought concentrates the deer and the insects around water.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Around Aurora Ohio there have been found as many as 10 dead deer in one group in a 3 mile area the DNR suspects blue tongue.
The deer count is down

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a reply back from the DNWR and they said they searched through all of their books and pictures and said this resembled nothing they have seen. They are forwarding it to another research team and will let me know when the find something out.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Please keep us informed hammer

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that a deer infected with blue tongue will have internal hemorrhage and will usually show a little bleeding around the eyes. I have never seen this myself though. I have also heard that once a deer is infected it will die in about a day or so.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More then likely Epizootic Hemmorrhagic Disease (EHD), also called Blue Tongue. Here in Missouri we had a lot of it this summer. It is a virus that is transmitted a Midge.
Stockdoc

Posts: 35 | Location: Paris America | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
My doctor & vet friends tell me EHD affects the abdominal cavity, in particular the intestines & bowel, and causes extensive hemoraging in these organs & the cavity. They didn't comment as to what effect EHD might have regarding tissue/muscle damage.

Chronic Wasting Disease affects the glands & neurological tissues. Everything I've read from the Wisconsin DNR indicates that muscle tissue of a CWD infected deer would be safe to eat, but who wants to do that!? cuckoo barf

I'm very interested to hear more about the deer in question. That venison sure does look "off"!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would say EHD....we have been hammered with it here in Northern Indiana and Southern Michigan. Enough in Michigan that they cut back Doe permits.

Posts: 5 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 03 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmokinJ:

My brother had a similar experience a couple of years ago. The butcher's conclusion was that the deer had been hit by a car and the injuries had gotten gangrenous. He threw the entire carcass away.

Rem

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
So no one has come up with a plausible explanation for this.

We know it is not EHD.

Surely we have a vet on here, or someone here knows someone that is a vet.

Looks like some sort of endoparasite/worm infestation to me

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I showed it to my vet as well as the DNR, no one had any clue. They thought that the only way to be sure what it was was to test it in the lab.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
i think that I was abducted by aliens & studied in their space craft then released back on earth.
Big GrinspaceBig Grin
Frowner Roll Eyes Eeker Big Grin popcorn coffee shocker

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To make a diagnosis some of the fresh tissue needed to go into formaldehyde and sent to a pathologist for a microscopic examination and fresh tissue needed to be submitted for culture. A bit of fresh blood for serology and microscopic exam would have been nice. It is possible a diagnosis could be made off the gross exam but it would take a real expert in wild animal diseases.

I hope someone will figure it out as it looks like a really interesting case.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We hunt in michigan in one of the hardest hit counties. We lost about 1400 in our half of the county from ehd. Of the 8 we shot, about 4 had signs of getting over the disease.......deformed and busted up antlers and hooves that looked like the front halves were dead and shedding off. One was much worse.....charcoal grey.colored liver, blood in the brain cavity, and tiny clots through the meat, much like your picture. The blood vessels rupture and cause bleeding and clots....it's a virus spread by the midge fly. I would really suspect it in yours and can't believe no officials said the same.

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ehd is a virus spread by a parasitic insect, most commonly the midge fly. The disease is not parasitic.

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Ken,

Out of curiosity, when such a deer is shot, does your F&W dept call it a tagged deer for your license or how does that work? It would be a shame if so.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote