New
Find
Notify
Tools

.250 Savage Powder(s)?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A Buddy asked me to load .250 Savage cartridges for his Savage Model 99.

As you'll note from our location, .250 Savage isn't either the most inexpensive nor easiest cartridge to come by here in Europe, so the Logistics Chain is wagging the Dog's tail in this case.

He's provided the RCBS F/L Die set already and a box of once fired Winchester cases, he'll provide the bullets next and we've agreed to start with 100 grainers.

A new cartridge to load for; exciting for me at least. I've Quick Load, access to data and many loading manuals but thought I'd ask the experienced out there for recomendations concerning the optimal or preferred powder for the .250 Savage in this bullet weight?

Thx.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
32 grains of H4895 with 100 grain bullets were my accuracy loads, however 87 grain bullets were even more accurate with 34.5 grains of powder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the twist is right the 87 gr will shoot better.I have IMR 3031 and it shoots well even up to the 100 gr bullets.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
For the Savage, I LOVE Re-15, but H4895 will do a good job as well, and some guns seems to do very well with H380.

If the 100 grainers are flat-based and if the twist is the original 1:14, they may do OK. But 85-87 grain bullets may give you better accuracy.

At 2900-3000 fps, the 87 grain Hornady does very well on deer, by the way.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingBL-C-2 and H 335 seem to do nicely. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
olgrouse, plainsman, Bobby & bartsche,

Thank you Gentlememen, exactly the kind of insight I was soliciting for.

Appears from your input we'll add some 87 gr. Hornady's (or similar) to the Wish List in addition to the 100 grainers. Cuz's Savage 99 is an oldie (he's gray-haired and it was his Grandfather's rifle) so perhaps initial efforts with 87 grain bullets may be more fruitfull than with the 100 grainers.

I like the H-4895 reco since it's on hand so we're closing in on the execution phase rapidly.

Thx Guys.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted on the load development. There is quite a bit of interest in the 250 Savage on this board as it is a wonderful little round. thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results with RL15 in both the 250/3000 and the 250 Ackley. For 100gr bullets in a 99 I would start at 33.5gr and work up slowly.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). I would suggest you remember that you can "neck up" .22/250 brass to get the .250 case. I am guessing that that might be more available... Guessing. Neck thinned slightly. Don't recall any exact or close European rounds. [Life can be confusing at times.] You can also make it from any standard Mauser rim, 7x57 up, but that is called "work!"

#2). If the rifle is as old as you seem to indicate, the original twist was 1 in 14 to get the 3000 fps in the name. Later, with more modern powders, I believe they produced 1 in 10 rifles. The 1 in 14 is pretty limited to the 100 grain round nose bullets but slightly better with light bullets. If you have the 1 in 10, the 120 spires are possible but won't go too fast.

#3). This is an all time great round. The 6mm version was offerred [6mm International] in the Remington 40X target rifle last I looked-- ruled competition for a time, a while I admit. And if you compare the "new" target cartridge, 6.5x47 Lapua???, it is so close to the .250 Improved (in 6.5 of course)...

My gunsmith buddy used IMR 4320 when he was blasting with the .22/250. Back after WW II. He graduated to the .243 Rockchucker (7x57 necked down and improved by RCBS) then the .243 WCF for prairie dogs and such. Each gun has a "mind of its own." LUCK.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thx Fellas,

Keep up the good work - I'm listening!

quote:
My gunsmith buddy used IMR 4320

Yup, iranger; I was thinking along these lines as well got some IMR stashed away.....

Agree wholeheartely on making up cases from other suitable candidates but that's only if all other options fail.

We may be a little out in the sticks when it comes to easily obtainable US cartidge cases but I think we'll manage to get some good US brass for this fine rifle.

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powders I use for the 250 Savage are, Varget, RL-15, H-4895, 760, IMR-4350.