Notify
Tools

.257 vs .264
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Guys:

I shoot a little .257 Roberts bolt rifle which I really like. However, being a rifle nut, I was thinking about picking up a Ruger No.1 in 6.5 Creedmoor or maybe a 6.5 Swede. For practical purposes, is there any real difference in killing power between the various .257s (.257 Roberts, 25-06, .257 Weatherby, etc.) and the .264s (6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Swede, .264 Winchester, etc.)?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say no.
With similar powder capacities, and proper bullet weights that small a difference in bullet diameter will not make a difference, IMHO.

I have owned and shot game with both a 257 WBY Mag, and a 246 Win Mag.

Actually I could not tell that they killed deer, any better/faster, than a 243 Winchester.

After all you can only kill a deer so dead.

The bigger case cartridges do have an advantage in trajectory and wind bucking that does come into meaningful effect at 400 yards and out...

IF the rifle AND shooter have the accuracy and skill to use that advantage.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will admit to not having a 25 caliber rifle, but I would guess the only difference would be 140+ grain bullets. For whitetail deer, probably not much difference.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would say no real difference. Yep there is a 140 in 264. If I really needed a 140 or else I would also me looking at bigger cases.

But heck gun nuts not need to justify. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldI've hunted with a number of 6.5s , .250-3000, .257 Rob and 25-06IMP. The greatest difference is the 160 grain bullets in the 6.5 vs the 120 grain bullet in the .257. Roll Eyes
IMHO the 160 puts the 6.5 into a different game category especially when you are talking cup and core. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I agree with Roger. Shooting a 155 Mega at close to medium range or 140 partition at long range should give you an edge on larger animals. I love my 257 Roberts but my 6.5x55 is more versatile. For deer, it doesn't matter.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference until you're out past 250 yards with the Roberts or 300 with the .25-06. I have no experience with the Wby version.
There is no aurgument that the 6.5 has better ballistics at longer range. I've toyed with the idea of a Creedmore myself.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah .007 is a huge difference

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:

Confused roger bewildered

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The greatest difference is the 160 grain bullets in the 6.5 vs the 120 grain bullet in the .257.

Yes. +1 to that. And the reason why although I have a 270 Winchester I also have a 280 Remington. Those 160 grain bullet weights and above...

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:

Confused roger bewildered

It's not the .007", it's how you use it that counts Wink

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not the 0.007", it's the extra 40 grains of bullet weight. Moose with a .260 - sure. Moose with a Roberts - not so much.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 257Roberts/25-06/257weatherby and a 6.5X55(want a 264Win Mag) and like them all. For tougher game such as wild boar I prefer the 6.5. For deer/pronghorns the 257's are just as good.
If a 6.5 interests you get it. Never can have too many hunting firearms---or firearms period.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
It's not the 0.007", it's the extra 40 grains of bullet weight. Moose with a .260 - sure. Moose with a Roberts - not so much.

A quick look at the sectional desity of a 160 gr 6.5mm compared to the 120gr in .257 and the difference at longer range should be obvious.

Not nocking the .25, I have several and like them, but bigger animals at distances where the .25 cal is loosing steam the 6.5 heavies are still quite capable.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I find the 140 grain in 6.5 a big step up from the 25 cal for larger animals. The 140 grain loads almost always exit and I can't count on the 257 roberts to do that.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good 115-120 grain bullet from the BOB will penetrate alot of moose before it stops, just dont try to shoot em in the head.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. The difference in diameter is only .007" but the .264 bullets come in weights up to 160 gns where the .257 stops at 120 gns. Imagine a 25-06 with a 160 grain bullet.

In equal bullet weights the two are not significantly different. The .264 has the advantage of heavier bullets.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A good 115-120 grain bullet from the BOB will penetrate alot of moose before it stops..
And a good 140-grain bullet from a .260 will penetrate even more moose - have you even shot one? I have, more than one when I lived 27 years in Alaska. Sure, you can kill them with a .22 Hornet, but few ethical hunters would try to do so. You cannot always count on a nice standing broadside shot - not if you actually want to kill a moose.....

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I find the 140 grain in 6.5 a big step up from the 25 cal for larger animals. The 140 grain loads almost always exit and I can't count on the 257 roberts to do that.

My experience too.

Since trying a 6.5mm I have switched to them and sadly almost never shoot my beautiful Bob.

That said, if deer were my only quarry, I could easily live with my Bob and a good 100 grain bullet.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say if you want a varmint then deer rifle then go with the 257.

If yon want a deer may be bigger game then varmint rilfe go with the 264.

The 257 cal with good bullets well kill a lot of stuff.

The 264 with with heavier bullets well give a bit better Penetration on bigger stuff.

I don't have any trouble hunting with one or the other.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Guys:

I shoot a little .257 Roberts bolt rifle which I really like. However, being a rifle nut, I was thinking about picking up a Ruger No.1 in 6.5 Creedmoor or maybe a 6.5 Swede. For practical purposes, is there any real difference in killing power between the various .257s (.257 Roberts, 25-06, .257 Weatherby, etc.) and the .264s (6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Swede, .264 Winchester, etc.)?

Yes and no. I have a 257 AI and it zaps deer as dead as any 6.5mm. However, when you mention "killing power", I have to gove the edge between the ones you mentioned to the 6.5X55, by a good margin, for its ability to handle larger bullets. I wouldnt use my 257 on a moose. But the Sweedes have been doing it with their 6.5's before I was born. As for deer sized game, dead is dead.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
So what happens to this question when the C&C bullets (regardless of bonded or jacket thickness) are replaced with modern monometal construction bullets with 100% or near 100% weight retention?

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
So what happens to this question when the C&C bullets (regardless of bonded or jacket thickness) are replaced with modern monometal construction bullets with 100% or near 100% weight retention?

In my mind, nothing, the 6.5's will still retain their advantage.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They still have an advantage, but the diffrence in penetration is truely negligable, especially in the case of moose. Really? There is a shot you take on a MOOSE, an ALASKA YUKON MOOSE with a 260 loaded with a 140 that you would pass because you thought the 120 grainer from the Bob might not make it from his ass to his chin? both will breake a big bone and be done in 5". Both will break a rib and give 20" to hide. Both will punch hide and give a solid 35" in all soft tissue given just a decent bullet. If you want to break a femur in Florida and exit a shoulder in Alaska you better start looking beyond the 260, or 257. Otherwise take your pick.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 25-06. I mainly hunted the Texas Hill Country. I really wanted a 257Roberts Improved, until lots of pigs began showing up. I got a 7x57. When tht Creedmore came out I began th crave one of them, until Lapua begin to make Rem 260 brass. Now it's a no brainer. The difference between .257 and .264, is not so much the diameter as the bullets made for the standard twist of both calibers. No 120 grain .257 bullet is going to compete well with the same .264 bullet that weighs around 140gns in SD or BC. For deer there is little difference, but throw bigger, tougher game into the mix and the .264 wins. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 25's.....I have a 257 Roberts and a 25 WSSM.

But to me, talking about any 25 and moose in the same discussion shows lack of sense. Yes, you can lung shoot them and wait for them to wonder why they're falling down and drowning in their own blood....and hope the moose didn't wander out into a swamp to die.....

Please don't forget you are not the only thing hunting moose. I've seen very large brown bears while hunting moose in Alaska....which the gun writer "experts" always overlook when talking about calibers needed for a hunt. Often they have professional backup as well....

When you meet something at the top of the food chain with teeth and claws or a rut-crazed bulldozer with antlers and hooves what do you want to be carrying?

Out of respect for the animals and your hunt (and hunting partners) please use enough gun!

Both of these are good calibers. They just aren't for everything or everywhere.....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
capdavid:

I agree with Dan H's post. While the 6.5 can shoot heavier bullets and can possibly be an elk round, I have other guns better suited for heavier game like elk and moose. In addition, when you hunting moose, especially in big bear country, the calibers begin a .338 and go up from there.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot both 25-06 and 6.5-06AI. If you go to 6.5 move up to the 06 case in either 6.5-06 or the AI version to take advantage of the 140gr to 160gr bullets.

The 6.5-06AI is very efficient and approaches 264 Win Mag velocities but with much less powder.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote