Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 WMR with v-max
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone tried the Remington .22 WMR with the 33 gr V-MAX bullet?

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
CoolI have.

My CZ452 was pretty picky about what it would group, best was RWS at around .75-1" at 100 yards. Hated all forms of CCI, winchester etc.

The RWS were £15 for 50 (around $25) and became unobtainable here. I was about to get rid of the CZ in favour of a .17hmr but a local gun dealer offered me the Rem Premiers with the 33gr Vmax. These turned the old Brno into a genuine 1/2" 100 yard gun. I haven't worked out how to post photo's yet of the targets, but I can email them. Not bad for a cheap rimfire, unaltered since new, including the creepy trigger. I might even splash out and buy it a new trigger group and scope now.

I have not killed much with it yet, a few magpies and crows, plus one fox. I reckon they make the .22mag into a decent 120 yard gun.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a link showing how my 22 Magnum shoots the Remington load.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=406982&sort=7&thecat=998&password=

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Johnly, Nice group! I must agree that the Lilja barrels are awesome when attached to a good Ruger. My standard 10/22T will shoot like that with it's Lilja and The Federal 711B or 911B subsonics. Ain't life grand........

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
anyone used it on game?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, against a buddy with a .17HMR, at all distances it is a superior game getter than the .17. True it drops a tad more but nothing that can't be dealt with. My CZ452 loves them, under 1" with boring regularity at 100 yards. It has dispatched badgers, coons, skunks, crows and opossums with aplomb, far better on coyotes than a .17. Love this loading, the only thing from Remington I like.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington 22 Magnum V-Max is the best shooter - so far - in my Anschutz 1720, but the accuracy isn't what I'd call "good." I get 1.5-inch 10-shot groups at 100 meters. (Winchester 40g HP gives 3-inch groups, for comparison.)

When I find something that it will - or I can - shoot well, I plan to buy a lot of that lot...

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get 1" to 1 1/4" groups out of a hundred dollar NEF. It's the most accurate load in that rifle. It's also all I need in a .22 WMR. I ain't gonna shot it at nothing past 150 yards, and anything I'm gonna shoot it has at least 2.5" kill zone.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have tried about everything in my Ruger 10/22 22WMR. The Rem, Fed, and Win, all with the lighter bullets (30-33gr) shot the best. Best of the Best was the Federal with the older loading using the Sierra JHP bullet.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the custom stuff from Outland Sales? [See link below]. They have an offering they call the "Coyote Killer". It is loaded with a 35 grain VMAX and they claim 2265 fps. I'd love to try it in my HK 300, but I don't want to blow up the rifle!

Jordan

http://www.outlandsales.com/tracer22.html

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
While some lots do shoot very well, others seems to have problems in the form of large shot-to-shot velocity variations and, consequently, accuracy. In a battered Marlin 25MN topped with a Weaver V10x50mm scope, I easily get 3-shot, 100 yard groups of 0.7 to 0.8" -- with the GOOD lots of ammo. I've had some that wouldn't do better than 2 to 2.5", though.

I have taken countless varmints and pests with the 33 grain Rem load and have always been pleased with its terminal performance. Even when a shot hit several inches farther back on a bobcat than I had intended, the animal was still dispatched quickly. And coyotes shot through the chest cavity seldom make it more than 20-30 yards before giving up the ghost, and many fold on the spot.

And before anyone chimes in: no, I don't view the .22 Magnum as the ne plus ultra for coyotes and bobcats. But in some of my calling areas, the ranges WILL be short, and under those circumstances, the .22 WMR works as well as anything out there.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's the best stuff I've found for my Cooper LVT. It groups better than the stuff cooper used to shoot the test target.

Fast Ed

Measure your manhood not by success, but by significance.

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most accurate round that I've found for my 9422M.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting one of the old Marlin 783's in 22 WMR for years. Mine loves the CCI Maxi Mag HP ammo. MV is advertised at 1875 fps. Sub 1/2" groups at 50 yds. Opens up to 1.15" at 100 yds. Original trigger, never worked on. Rifle is topped with a 3x9x40 Bushnell. Works on crows, possums, coons, armadillos, feral cats, coyotes, even prairie dogs, but I know the rifle's limitations and mine. LOL Rifle shoots better than owner!!!

John

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote