Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 57
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
Ok I got a 6.5 x 58 Portuguese as a present its a 1904 original mauser build in Berlin.

Now 6.5x58 ammo is not easy to find anywhere or even just the cases now my thinking is reaming the rifle out to 6.5 x 57 and then I would have ammo to find. The action is very smooth on the rifle and the barrel still looks good. I would have to fix the bolt in order to mount a scope but I think it would make a very fine long range rifle for medium game up to hartebeest.

Does anybody have reloading table on what to expect with velocity and bullet size ?

What are your thoughts ?

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I'd hate to see you mess up an old antique Mauser but that is your business.

the 6.5 x 57 is my favorite cartridge.

if you have access to 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser data, it is pretty interchangable with the 6.5 x 57.

I own several of those also..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can access web site www.ammoguide.com you will find data on your caliber and interesting comments as well. Thought about doing one myself, but perhaps later.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of those rifles were converted to 8x57 Mauser. If yours is in original military configuration, it could be worth quite a bit. Before you chop it, you might explore it's value. It may pay for all or most of a new commercial rifle.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
What's the actual performance differences between the 6.5x55 and 6.5x57? I have Sauer 202 and was considering getting a barrel. chambered for the 57...I already have a 55.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ballistically, there is virtually no difference between the performance of the 6.5x55 and 6.5x57. Either will take care of any medium game at any reasonable range.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
What's the actual performance differences between the 6.5x55 and 6.5x57? I have Sauer 202 and was considering getting a barrel. chambered for the 57...I already have a 55.

I have both.. as Bobby Tomek said, there isn't a difference between the two..

I just favor the 6.5 x 57 because of the oddity of it, and it's age.. it was actually designed before the 30/30...I can use 257 Roberts brass with it.

actually, the 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, and the 6.5 x 57, I think are the most balanced cartridges out there.. throw in the 7 mm Mauser and you are really all set..but the 6.5 x 57 will do anything the 7 x 57 will do..

that case size is just a winner!

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Now to find a Sauer barrel in 6.5x57, or may just have one made.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
I just favor the 6.5 x 57 because of the oddity of it, and it's age.. it was actually designed before the 30/30...I can use 257 Roberts brass with it.

As I remember the research on the subject, the 6.5x55 was also introduced shortly before the 30-30. I also remember reading that the shoulder of the 6.5x57 is further forward compared to the parent case, 7x57, which means as I understand it, that the 257 brass needs to be fire-formed or something to get the shoulder in the correct place.

I've been working with the 6.5x55 lately, and like what I'm getting so far. It's been very cooperative.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
I've decided to keep the rifle in 6.5 x 58 and get some cases made for it especially it will then stay unique.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote