Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need info on 25-06
 Login/Join

posted
Trying to start loading for my .25-06. It's a custom rifle on a Winchester action. Some type of aftermarket barrel. Got is "used" but never shot with a Burris Black Diamond Scope for $300. I've never shot it.

So I make up a dummy round to check with the Stoney Point gauge. Length to ogive is 3.870. When seated to the lands with an 87 grain Nosler BT, there's barely any bullet left in the case neck. Anybody have the length to ogive on their rifle, or how far do you seat off the lands?

Guess I'm going to end up trying something in the 115-120 class unless the smaller bullets like a long jump.

TIA

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 87 may shoot ok. but it is basically just a varmint bullet. There is some of it's length wasted due to the boat tail.

Try a 100 grain Sierra flat base. It is a little longer and no boat tail.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They might be worth a try anyways. My 25-06 shoots the 75 Vmax very, very well. Not sure how far off the lands the load is, but, it's a long jump..... Sometimes, rules were made to be broken.

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is for a PD hunt. Thought I'd use the 25-06 for longer range stuff, maybe in the 350-600 yard range.

I've got a couple 223's and a 22-250. I have 100 Nosler 87 BT's and some light A-Max's. I was just kinda freaked out when I saw how long the throat is.

I seem to remember something in Handloader sometime back about 25's having long throats so they'd be able to use heavier for caliber bullets

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just finished a p-dog shoot and my best results came from my 25/06 loaded with 100gr sierra hpbt match bullets. all of my shots were 400+ yds. the rifle is a savage 110fp with 24" barrel. i found that the 100gr handled the wind much better than 55gr in 22/250 or 75v-max in a 250ackley.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try shooting them before you worry about it.

Because all of the members of AR speculating together is a still worth so little that together with a dollar it still won't buy you a cup of coffee in most places.
and if you wanted a donut with that coffee you'd be going hungry

TRY IT!

My first 25-06 loved the short little Hornady 75gr.
It didn't make any difference that I couldn't get those bullets anywhere near the rifling they would shoot into 1/2"@100yd all day long, but at longer range the 87's did shoot better... and they wouldn't touch the rifling either.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Below is a load I worked up for a tikka useing the 90 gr,if you want to try it.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Seems to really like the 52.0 load. +/- a half grain sure made a world of difference.

How far off the lands??

FWIW...I read the write up and revised write up in Pet Loads. Looks like quite a few of the 25-06's used to have long throats. Just have to try it.

thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just set the 90,s to 3.1 as in the sierra manual.Haven't had a change to play with the col yet.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for a 52.0gr load of H4350 using the 85 gr nosler BT's, WIN brass and CCI 200 primers. They shoot lights out in my Rem 700 (fitted with a 1:10 Hart barrel). I'm getting 3387fps on average from this load. 1" at 400 yards can certainly be attained. I've managed to kill a few groundhogs at 700+ with this combo. Brass is uniformed and sorted based on weight and bullets are seated aproximately 0.015 off the lands. My particular 25-06 seems to like them that way. When I move closer to the lands, the group sizes open up slightly. Another good shooter is 58.5grs of H4350 and the 75gr Vmax. It averages in the .3's at 100 yards and MV on it is right at 3823fps. I don't shoot them much but man talk about vaporizing one...

Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have really been busting up the groundhogs with 100 grain hornady spire points. Think my load is max H4831SC minus 2 tenths with oal adjusted to my rifle per the hornady manual. Made an unsupported standing shot on a groundhog on saturday at 146 yards lasered. He got the full dental plan. Also lung shot a deer with the same load this past year, great load.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SIMON!! Ruck!! It's 85 grain Noslers not 87's!! 87's are for Hornady, Speer and such!! Are you walking around all right?? That wedding stuff can make you wobble kneed for awhile!! CONGRATULATIONS BIG DOG!! All the happiness to you!! ..............Varget and the 75 grain VMAXS are "groundhog devastation"!!! (49.5-49.7 depending on your rifle) 56-57 grains of Re-19 and the 85 Noslers can be hell to pay for a varmint!! The new shop is open just down the road from you!! Come see me sometime!! Charlie (GHD)...........ps: GROUNDHOG SAFARI panned for Friday the 20th in SW VA!!...............do you have "honeydoo's planned?"
OK FOLKS!! Ruck is a newleywed!! Got married on June 23rd to his childhood sweetheart!! Funny thing someone mentioned about dental work........daddy dentist, grandpa dentist, Ruck will be a dentist too!!
Simon!! All the best to you and let's go shooting sometime!! After all, that 25-06 you think so fondly of was because of my generosity!! Big Grin Big Grin Wink clap clap Your friend, Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
GHD, do you getout much?

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
SIMON!! Ruck!! It's 85 grain Noslers not 87's!! 87's are for Hornady, Speer and such!! Are you walking around all right?? That wedding stuff can make you wobble kneed for awhile!! CONGRATULATIONS BIG DOG!! All the happiness to you!! ..............Varget and the 75 grain VMAXS are "groundhog devastation"!!! (49.5-49.7 depending on your rifle) 56-57 grains of Re-19 and the 85 Noslers can be hell to pay for a varmint!! The new shop is open just down the road from you!! Come see me sometime!! Charlie (GHD)...........ps: GROUNDHOG SAFARI panned for Friday the 20th in SW VA!!...............do you have "honeydoo's planned?"
OK FOLKS!! Ruck is a newleywed!! Got married on June 23rd to his childhood sweetheart!! Funny thing someone mentioned about dental work........daddy dentist, grandpa dentist, Ruck will be a dentist too!!
Simon!! All the best to you and let's go shooting sometime!! After all, that 25-06 you think so fondly of was because of my generosity!! Big Grin Big Grin Wink clap clap Your friend, Charlie (GHD)

What have you been smoking?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTDT a time or two!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote