New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 loads with Lil Gun..???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried Lil Gun in the .223? If so, how many grains and what bullet? H.H.

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to fast a powder for a .223. Lots'a good powders for a .223 but I don't think this is one of em.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
<patclem2>
posted
Little Gun cost me a Copper 17machIV.13grains the stock split the bolt was destroyed as was the barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
patclem---- how did you decide to use LilGun for a Mach IV? LilGun is a fast burning powder designed for the .410 shotgun, magnum pistol, and works very well in the Hornets and K Hornets. Not much different than shooting WW-296 or 2400 in a rifle, BAD idea. If ever in doubt about an application call the company that made the powder, most of em even have toll free numbers, ask for someone to answer a technical question. They are always glad to give results of their tests which could help you keep from damaging your firearms or worse. It's never a good idea to arbitrarily use a powder for other than it's intended purpose, and I personally wouldn't use other guys recomended loads without manufacturers recomendation , definitely an unsafe loading practice. Hope you weren't hurt.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I agree that it is way too fast, unless you want to load hornet level loads. For that, there are a number of well-established Blue Dot loads (do a search on this site).

If you want to develop loads, you might consider starting (very) low, using pistol primers. They will indicate pressure long before rifle primers will, and (hopefully) keep you out of trouble. Other than that, the best advice is always to use published loads. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Patclem2,
Wow! Your experience with Lil Gun powder is very scary to say the least. I'm pretty sure there is a thread in this forum about using Lil gun to load .221 fireball cartridges. In fact, there was quite a bit of positive results about velocity/accuracy.

I have to admit, that I have about 5 or 6 Mach 4 cases all loaded with Lil gun starting with 13gr and working up! I have been planning to do some load development and almost went today. - - Man! did I let out a yelp while reading your post! Think I'll be pulling those bullets very soon!
tx for the information/warning.

Posts: 13 | Location: Woodland Calif. | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote