New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage's new Accu Trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just handled my first Savage rifle with the new Accu-Trigger. Wow what a superb trigger. I was also pleased to find out Savage is offering the Accu-Trigger on all their guns for 2004. Guess it's time to buy the 223 Rem I always wanted for varmit hunting.

Anyone else already own a Savage with the new Accu-Trigger? If so, how do you like it?

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not quite offering the Accu Trigger on all the centerfires; their new Mod40V will have the basic trigger. Since it appears to be a totally new action, and it's their "budget" rifle, that could be the reason.
Still an interesting new rifle.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 12BVSS in .223 about 3 months ago. The Accutrigger is certainly nice, very crisp and easy to adjust. I couldn't get my pull weight down to the 1 1/2 lbs minimum that they advertise, mine is at about 2 3/4 lbs according to my RCBS trigger scale and is at its lowest possible setting. Still, this is light enough for me and I really like the trigger.

The rifle is incredibly accurate. Its hard to find a load that doesn't shoot great. Get one, you'll like it.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Boy, this is a frequent topic of discussion. As I've said numerous times on this board and others, I love the rifle, and the basic trigger pull is crisp and sharp, adjustable down to 1 1/2 pounds. I don't like the safety lever, which has a spring not much lighter than the trigger adjusts down to, and a long, creepy, rough pull. It has to be depressed perfectly flush with the trigger before the trigger is pulled, or the safety lever will catch the falling striker and the bolt must be recocked. So you must hold your fingertip perfectly parallel to the face of the trigger, touching only the safety lever at the center and squeeze it back before the shot. If you squeeze the trigger near the tip it won't be fully depressed before you touch the trigger and it'll misfire. The same can happen if the pad of your finger touches the side of the trigger. I've adjusted to this and can avoid the misfires, but I despise the feel of the lever. I seem to be the only online critic of the Accutrigger, and usually someone will suggest that perhaps my trigger is defective (I don't think it is), and someone else will take offense and suggest that I'm a bozo and don't know what I'm talking about. Your mileage may vary, but in my opinion the safety lever in the trigger's as welcome an addition as a moustache on a Playmate. The rifle's otherwise excellent in every way.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, mine came at about 4lbs out of the box (112BVSS .25/06 - one of the first ones, got it last February), and I then adjusted it to minimum - about 1 3/4 lbs.

It took me about 2 shots to get used to it. And I switch back and forth to "normal" triggers without even noticing the difference. My safety lever takes very litle effort to pull back - I don't even notice it's there anymore. I have never tripped the trigger without the safety lever pulled, except when I first got it and intentionally pulled the trigger without touching the safety lever.

It is definitely one of the best triggers I've ever touched!

The following are pic's of 1) a typical group with the rifle's favorite load to date (49.0gr IMR4350, 120gr Sierra HPBT, 0.010" off lands, Fed. 210M Primer, Win. brass - largest group to date with this load was 0.475"), and 2) Load Testing with IMR4350 and 120gr Sierra HPBT (all under 1"):

Favorite Load

Load Testing

Posts: 178 | Location: Pearland, TX | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Ok, assuming someone just hated the accu trigger... can an after market trigger still be fitted?

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've been told it's easy to remove the safety lever. And I'm sure it is. Of course, then you bear the responsibility for having deliberately removed a safety device.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
SUPER TRIGGER! Have one accu-trigger gun now and another on order. It is my favorite trigger and I prefer it over Timney and SharpShooter that are on other guns. Took no getting used to or special technique and is the cleanest breaking trigger I own. I don't notice the safety shoe at all (very light and smooth) when shooting and have had zero complaints using it. Kudo's to Savage for coming up with such a great trigger on an over the counter gun when crisp light triggers seem to be turning into heavy lawyer triggers on most guns.

woods

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote