THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Loading for a new 1-9 twist CZ

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading for a new 1-9 twist CZ
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey fellas
Got me a new to me but used CZ 223 Varmint Kevlar with a 1-9 twist so I would like to load some of the heavier 224 bullets. I have some 70gr Bergers,65gr Sierra's, and 69gr Matchkings. I have some brass prept, Win, and ready to go. I have a variety of powders to choose from, but would like to use Win 748 as I have quite a bit of it.
So if any one would care to help me out with a new load for this rifle, that would be nice. I'm just shooting for fun and not likely to challenge the 500 yard range just yet.
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Fasteel, mine really likes the 50 grain balistic tips and 748 with remington 7 1/2 primers! Shoots little groups. CZ really has a winner with that combination! Stock feels really good! and love the set trigger! It has become one of my favorites! Good Luck. Curly

Posts: 49 | Location: the Evergreen State | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Curly

I had it to the range yesterday shooting 55gr B tips with 24gr of Win 748 and experimenting with seating depth, I shot 1 super group with 3 touching.
My CZ is used and wow he really set the set trigger LIGHT. Love that big palm swell.
Regards Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Greg: You are certainly on the right track with 748 and the Sierra 69-grain Match King. This was my favorite combo in a Savage 12BVSS with 1:9 twist. I can't recall the charge weight, so won't list it. But this pairing will shoot for you, I am sure.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
Thanks Curly

I had it to the range yesterday shooting 55gr B tips with 24gr of Win 748 and experimenting with seating depth, I shot 1 super group with 3 touching.
My CZ is used and wow he really set the set trigger LIGHT. Love that big palm swell.
Regards Greg
. I really like mine also .. I havn,t found a perfect load yet .... Am looking forward to getting it rung out ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..... I,m starting to get mine in the groove ! This past week I got a group once I had the rifle all sighted in that was 1 1/2 calibers wide and .8" tall 3 shots 53 gr TSX pushed by 25.5 gr IMR 4895 in variable ,range pick up brass ...., It was -20degrees F. and the scope was set on 6x .. I really enjoy this rifle .. And I really like the big palm swell also ... It has become my ramblin rifle ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The powder you have is fine, but you may want to try some WC846 surplus if you can find it for it normally is less expensive and works well. Most suggest you load as Bl-C2. Other very good powder for the combo you have is RE 15. In my area the RE 15 is pretty much std. powder for 2-300 yd High Power shooters w/ the 69 Sierras. For ranges beyond the 500 mark believe you can still go up to the 75-77gr weight bullets w/ the 9 twist and do well. Some swear that the VV N140 is the ultimate, but it is hard to come by these days and a bit pricey as well(what isn't??) The 223 w/ the faster twist barrels is a very fine cartidge and performs with very little fuss. If you have not tried any, those Russian Wolfe 223Mag primers are available and lot of guys switching to them for High Power matches. They work. Good luck.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote