New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 6.5 cartridge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also just screw in a Douglas or Shilen 26" long barrel chambered in 25-06 and have a ball with it also.

Just another opinion...

John

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Seafire:

No disrespect to you, but just because a loading manual shows certain loads at a certain powder/velocity charge, that dosen't mean for a particular rifle it is gospel. 200fps difference between 2 different rifles of the same chambering is often encountered. If you read some of the gun writers, they make comments like, "I don't know how Hornady got that much velocity with that powder charge. It took me 5 more grains to reach the same speed in my rifle". I load the 06 case extensively from 6mm to 35, and while my general practice is not to exceed loading manual recommendations, I will keep increasing the powder charge a little at a time, as long as the groups continue to shrink, and or I reach the point where more powder does not increase velocity. Another point, when the 06 case reaches capacity for a given powder (the slower ones), the extreme spreads really shrink.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
Seafire:
Another point, when the 06 case reaches capacity for a given powder (the slower ones), the extreme spreads really shrink.Jerry

I have witnessed this often and not only with the -06 variants; Greatly compressed charges of 4350 and 4831 in the 22-250. The same powders in .257. Lately it has shown up in a number of rifles using DP86. I, however, do not even pretend to understand it. Confused

My shooting buddy, John, is more into fine shooting than I. When he hits this heavey load accuracy he begins to vary the load in both directions in 1/2 gr. increments. It isn't uncommon for him to reduce MOA groups down to .4, .5 .6 or .7 MOA. hijackroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About the 25-06 with a 26 inch. Give the 6.5-06 a 26 inch barrel too and the 25 isn't ever ever going to smell that 6.5.

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5X55 and 2900fps/140 grain bullets. Yes 3000fps Probably
Let's see, I believe the 264 WIN has the biggest case capacity mentioned yet in this thread. And my books show the 24" and 26" barrels in 264 have vels max'n from 2900 to 3100fps.
The fastest published velocity for the Swede, using a 140 bullet that I have found, was in my decade or so old #26 Hodgdon's manual. It shows a vel of 2856fps using 49 grains of RL-22.

Hodgdon shows, using H-4350 with 140's, that their max was at 45 grains yielding 2708fps.
My gun/powder/bullet/whatever is faster. At closer to 2800fps than 2700fps, 44 grains of 4350 is already faster than Hodgdon's max vel. I've not gone past 46 grains which yields ~2890fps. An ES of 49fps for 44 gr loads and an ES 10fps for the 46gr loads. Velocities were read from my Oehler chrono. I don't know about the newer Norma stuff but the older 140 grain ammo was over 2800fps in the M-96.
FWIW, Swede milsurp ammo(~140grain) runs around 2600fps.
Any of these cartridges(6.5X55,AI, X57, '06, 264, u'name'it) can be pushed. Maybe too fast. best-o-luck

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I have is 6.5X68 in a Blaser Rifle works well for me.

short and fat and hard to get at, hit like a hammer and never been hit back.

Posts: 251 | Location: Just north of Salingrad. | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a "European 6.5-06" it is the 6.5x64mm RWS, but it is based upon the 9.3x62mm cartridge case. Pretty hard to buy proper brass, but there is plenty of 9.3x62mm brass laying around. You can find data in the latest Cartridges of the WOrld Cartridges of the World.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote