New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 TSX for deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used a 45 TSX for deer? I am looking for a light load for my son in either a 222 or 223. Shots will be short and we have time to take a broadside shot. Thanks for the help.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've taken a deer with the 53 grain version out of a 22-250 but would defer to the resident deer slayer of "Thousands" using a .223 with blue dot loads.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know after the weekend. Plan on shooting some does with a 45 TSX out of my Model 7 predator in 22-250. We have six tags that we can fill. Small sample size, but I will have a better feeling for this bullet after the weekend.

I can say that the 53gr TSX will work fantastic. We have shot about three dozen deer/antelope with this bullet.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded up some several years ago in a light 223 with the velocity at about 22 Hornet speeds for a small young gal to use ( about 10 yrs old at the time)...

she was hunting with mom on grandpa's farm...she took a nice sized doe with it... bang flop..

one of those families where who knows where meth head father is....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
trouthunterdj, I bought a bunch of 53gr XFB which are now the TSX when Barnes changed the name. I would be happy to part w/ a box if you need a good price. I got them at $19.00 and will sell for the same + shipping which should be a couple bucks. PM me if you are interested. They don't open well on Coyotes unless it is 150 yards+.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...
Logout: The Accurate Reloading Forums
Update LiveCloud Account

I have taken deer with both the 45 X and the 53 X. We shot the 45 x out of a 22 K hornet and a bee. It worked well with in 50 or so yards (we were culling does) We used the 53 X with the 222, and 223. I'd use the 53 X all day long--it works. Just dont get your range out of reason and place your shots thru the lungs. You will have a dead deer on the other side.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I do not have anything to report. Pretty much a comedy of errors and no does killed this weekend. Along with trying to clean up and finish the house remodel before November hits.

Will try again next weekend and report any results then.

That little bullet worked fantastic on a skunk though.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Some states may have a minimum bullet weight so check your state regs. In Oklahoma, it was a 55 grain minimum although I'm not sure if that's still in effect.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally shot a doe this AM. Worked fine, 125yd broadside shot. Punched clean through the ribs, broke one going out. Dead deer. No heavy bone was hit.

I will keep updating as tags are filled.

While skinning, my son asked how such a small bullet makes a big hole. So I explained the expanding bullet concept and showed him examples of previously recovered bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have taken deer with both the 45 X and the 53 X. We shot the 45 x out of a 22 K hornet and a bee. It worked well with in 50 or so yards (we were culling does) We used the 53 X with the 222, and 223. I'd use the 53 X all day long--it works. Just dont get your range out of reason and place your shots thru the lungs. You will have a dead deer on the other side.

Ed

Ed, did those 53gr X's punch all the way through, or just go in and leave a mess?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AS,
I have never recovered a 53gr Barnes TSX out of the dozens critters we have shot.

On another note, I have recovered three 110gr 277 caliber TSX's. They work, but I think the standard 130gr may be a better choice just for the penetration factor. I like two holes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input SD.
I have a couple hundred of the old 53gr x bullets down stairs I was thinking about loading up for the .223. I suspect the velocity would be high enough I wouldn't have to worry about a pencil through.

On the 110 TSX, I imagine you are zipping them out there pretty good, causing a very rapid expansion, so I can see how that could happen. The 110's might give you two holes out of a 6.8 spc, but the 130-140 has always been the sweet spot for the old .270 Win.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to get sidetracked, but I think with the 110gr TSX it is just a weight thing. Simple physics, less weight= less momentum= less penetration.

But two of them penetrated pretty much full length on mature SD whitetail bucks and the third took out about three inches of backbone on an antelope.

I have done some pretty serious studying on arrow penetration as traditional bowhunting is my main focus.

There is a gentleman by the name of Dr. Ed Ashby who has done a tremendous amount of field research on arrow penetration, and much of the same principles can be cross applied to bullets.

With bowhunting, two holes offer a couple of advantages. 1. better blood trail and 2. I feel a complete arrow pass through causes the deer to not run as far after the shot.

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Trouthunterdj and SDhunter, I am curious to know why you would choose the 45 gr over the 53 gr TSX, especially in the 22-250.
In my 221 it would be the more obvious choice.

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to use the 45 TSX in a 222. I am concerned about twist and if my 222 can stabilize a heavier bullet.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I normally shoot the 53gr TSx, and that is what I have shot dozens of critters with and never recovered a bullet.

I am just trying the 45gr. See if they shoot better than the 53gr, and if they perform in the field.

At the range, they performed the same as the 53gr, and after one deer they performed just fine, but a sample of one does not tell us much.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
shoot the ones not holding a scale and they cant tell the differance. one hole in one hole out. as with all other things you still have to hit them right.

223/5.56 nato with 45 gr tsx has been used to kill many deer witnessed by me first person.they never got very far a few steps at most. that bullet in the 223 wssm is a sight to see I was amazed at how it seemed to just knock them down not like they know they are hit and lay down but body slam them down with a double lung.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
quote:

Ed

Ed, did those 53gr X's punch all the way through, or just go in and leave a mess?

Nope never recovered one. One entry one exit!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
an interesing note: when I loaded my brother's 270 ammo with the 110 TSX starting in 2006, he's wanted nothing to do with any bigger bullets, including his stash of 130 btips over 57 gr 4831, or his 130 TSX over 4350. Yes, they work well and are accurate but he's had such great success each year on pronghorn, and deer in Alabama and South Carolina, he's told me to keep the 110s coming. So far he's always had 2 holes. I guess it's luck! But he's also said that they all drop on the spot too.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the latest. Warning for graphic pictures.

Quartering to, approx 95 yards, adult whitetail doe.

Broke front leg, entered chest cavity, destroyed heart, bullet ended up somewhere in he stomach and could not find it while field dressing. Last photo is bone fragments that fell to the cardboard as I pulled the front shoulder.

Here the front shoulder pulled off the deer.

Entrance hole into the chest cavity..

Bone fragments

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
I normally shoot the 53gr TSx, and that is what I have shot dozens of critters with and never recovered a bullet.

I am just trying the 45gr. See if they shoot better than the 53gr, and if they perform in the field.

At the range, they performed the same as the 53gr, and after one deer they performed just fine, but a sample of one does not tell us much.

I've used the 53 grainer and also never recovered a bullet as they almost always seem to be in and then out. One deer was shot at over 300 yards and I thought I might find a bullet in that one but no luck. These things do penetrate.

I was wondering if the 45 grains would tend to shed it's velocity and energy faster when shooting longer ranges. Where I hunt it's very open and the down range performance is a factor.

I do remember Seafire testing some .224 NBT's in the 50-55 grain area and noting that their penetration seemed to increase significantly when the velocity dropped to around 2300-2500 fps. Interesting stuff.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may be correct on the shedding velocity and energy faster.

I shot one deer at 350 yards with the 53gr TSX and it was a complete pass through.

In all actuality the 62gr may be the best, but I do not have the twist to stabilize that bullet. When I burn my barrel out, it will get a faster than the 1:14 factory twist.