THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What Twist For This 6 mm Remington?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Twist For This 6 mm Remington?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to order a 22" Featherweight barrel in 6mm Remington for a M 1999. The rifle will be a walk around rifle for all game and pests up to deer (maybe). I know that 1-10 works great in varmint and target rifles but I wonder if the 1-9 that Remington provides is a better choice considering that 100 gr bullets may be used.

If the solid coppper bullets ever catch on I might want to use them also and they are longer and thus require a fast twist.

What would you get?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Sav 99--

I use 1-12 for all 6mm rifles used for varmint weight bullets (up to 85 gr) and use the 75 gr Barnes X for deer and antelope.

I haven't shot a 1-10 6mm in 30 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's going to be 1-10 or faster for sure. My first 6mm Rem Intl was ordered with a 1-10 and I set a record with that. The next barrel of course is also 1-10 and the bullets from that rifle are all 75 gr and 80 gr for 200 yd shooting. My 243 M 70 was 1-10 and that lasted decades and was also very satisfactory. But those rifles are all specialty ones and this new one is a general purpose field rifle.

I don't intend to shoot 107 VLD's out of this new hunting rifle just some 100 gr spitzers once in a while. So it's either 1-10 or 1-9. As of the moment I am leaning towards 1-9 and since it's going into a M 1999 Montana SA and I read they have a 3.1" box I am considering having the throat cut a tiny bit longer than standard.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote