THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best .223 Bullets (dup in varmit thread)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best .223 Bullets (dup in varmit thread)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Posted 21 February 2008 20:54
I've been using the scattergun approach to finding the most accurate loads for my .223s. Using the bullets I have in stock with the most popular powders. I'm shooting a 700 VLSSTH and a Rock River Entry Tactical.

What are the most accurate bullets for these guns? What are the best bullets considering value (bang for the buck - bad pun)?

Opinions may vary but I'll consider them all

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If both barrels are 9 twist you may want to give the Sierra Match Kings, 69gr HPBT a try.
I doubt that your Remington is that twist, but one can always hope! If not, probably 12 or 14 twist,go with the Sierra MK's in either 52gr or the 50 gr. Good luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, Sierra Match Kings, in my guns the 50 and 52 are the best...but for hunting large varmints and deer size animals I only use the 60 gr. Hornady SP or HP, either one.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent luck with the 55 gr. Sierra GK bullet over 26.5 grs. Varget or RE15 or Win748 using BR4 primers and Winchester brass. It shoots as well as their 69 gr. MK.

In a 26 inch Win 70 Varmint, the loads generally run 3250 ft.sec. Five shot groups at 100 yds. go into the .4-.5 range. Ten shot groups will run in the .6-.7 range. 300 yd. groups will be 1.2 or slightly more depending on wind.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depending on the twist on the RR the sierra 52 gr match is always a 1st choice, but i've found a couple of times with fast twist AR's that they don't really like the lighter bullets. for them the 63 gr sierra of 69 gr nosler seems to be the choice. then if you're shooting varmits with them the 52 gr sierra is a match bullet and won't expand, at which time i'd go to the 55 gr nosler BT

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote