New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens .223 optics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Buying a model 200 in .223 and wondered if anyone here has set one up for a scope, ie base mount and ring hieght for a 40 to 42mm scope. I seem to find Savage info but Stevens model 200 doesen't show up. Sure would appreciate any info. Thanks, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smoker1:
Buying a model 200 in .223 and wondered if anyone here has set one up for a scope, ie base mount and ring hieght for a 40 to 42mm scope.

Will be trying my second -44 today. No matter how you cut it you will not have a super cheeck rest.The difference in eye level between the 43 and 44 is rather small. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Stevens 200 in 223 and mounted a Pentex Gameseeker 4-12x40 in medium Warne rings and Weaver(?) bases. It seems to like the 64 grain Winchester/Olin factory ammo better than any with lighter/faster factory ammo. Since I'm going to leave it at our place in NH, I want to shoot commonly available factory ammo rather than reloads.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you folks. 260remguy, did you seem to have ample room using medium rings with the 44mm or was it a very close fit? Did you use any special base mount or was it common to all Savage rifles? smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 40 on my Stevens 200, with a low ring setup. It clears enough to get the lens caps on. My Savage Model 14 has the same scope and medium set, it is more than ample. I would think a 44 would go alright.

Posts: 16125 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what I was wanting to know! Thank you very much wymple. Like I said the Stevens wasn't coming up anywhere just the common Savage models. So what I have is low rings and any base mount that will fit the common Savage models. Great! I'm probably going to go with a 4-12x40. Have a couple of them and they work fine. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Pentex Gameseeker doesn't have an AO feature and fits fine with Warne medium rings. The front lens cap will fit, so a scope with a 44mm objective "should" fit, but that "could" vary from scope to scope. I think that Warne low rings would make for a very close fit between the objective and the barrel on my rifle, but you'll only know for sure when you mount your scope on your rifle with your mount.

According to www.savagearms.com, the Stevens 200 uses the Weaver #46 bases both front and rear, so those are probably the bases that I have on my rifle.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage and Stevens are the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. Just posted a WTB on the classified for a 4-12x40 bushnell ot Tasco type lower end scope.

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buying a model 200 in .223 and wondered if anyone here has set one up for a scope, ie base mount and ring hieght for a 40 to 42mm scope. I seem to find Savage info but Stevens model 200 doesen't show up. Sure would appreciate any info. Thanks, smoker1

Hi Smoker,

I have a Stevens 200 in a .223. I mounted a Bushnell Legend series 5X15X40 scope with Weaver rings. Very nice scope. I can count bullet holes at 100 yards with it. I have the scope on three different rifles and really like them. I got mine for 270$ mounted and bore sighted. They list (when I got mine) for 200. I bought mine at a mom and pop store and the service was great. I didn't mind paying extra for the service. It was the only place that had them in stock. I think they are a great scope.

Hope this helps,

Tony Wink

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Tony. Bushnell makes a very good scope for the money. I am expecting this rifle to get some unintended abuse being bounced around. I selected the Bushnell Banner in 4-12x40. I have the indenticle scope on a .22 mag. and they are really remarkable. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you Tony. Bushnell makes a very good scope for the money. ...
Yes they do. I did a Survey among almost 30 Gun Shops a couple of years ago. Overall, the Bushnell recieved the highest Reliability Rating.

They told me that they had a good number of Leupold and Burris Scopes returned to them simply because they Failed so early after the purchase. I was VERY surprised at that, because I've had excellent performance with them.

But the Bushnell Scopes were highly thought of by the folks that Sell them, because as one guy said, "Once we sell one, it never comes back!" I found that surprising as well, but too many Gun Shops said basically the same thing for it to be much of an exaggeration.

They make an interesting Illuminated model which is able to illuminate both Red and Green depending on which way you turn the Selection Knob. I've not had an opportunity to check one out at Twilight, so I don't know if the Low setting is too Bright or just fine though. That is a problem with some Illuminated Scopes.

Best of luck with your new rifle and scope.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wymple, should have asked if your scope had an adj. obj. I bought a set of Lyman low rings and two piece bases. Scope would not clear. Just the knurled end would touch the barrel no matter how I located the scope. Had a set of medium rings....all's well. Shoots < .500. Very impressed but not surprised,,,Savage you know. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does. It clears OK. The knurled ring is right at the edge of the base, but it missed.

Posts: 16125 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, probably wasn't holding my mouth rightSmiler

--Thomas Jefferson