THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What about the Super Predator Master?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about the Super Predator Master?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone had any experience with the Weatherby super predator master, good or bad?

Posts: 266 | Location: Montana, up on the Highline | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G'day,
If the Weatherby Super Predator Master's are anything like the Accu Marks I have had and used it should be accurate and very well made.
I hope to get one myself .

Good luck,
Charlie

Posts: 87 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought one and it shoots very well. Be carefull I heard there are some seconds out there flooting around, don't know anything about them.

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
I wonder about those seconds. Local gunshop had a hundred of them in various calibers. The price was around $400 below normal for new guns. Well in the past Weatherby bolts were real smooth. And the triggers among the best in a factory rifle out of the box imo.

Well these had rather rough bolts. Felt much less well made than normal. Triggers were creepy and rough too. Maybe that could be adjusted, and wouldn't be the first rough bolt gun to shoot good.

I asked if these were seconds or something, and couldn't get a straight answer.

In general rather than making you think you were holding and handling a fine firearm, these left one with the impression they were a step below the basic Remington 700.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gander Mt. (chain in mid-west) also had a bunch of seconds. I called weatherby to ask about seconds, and they said they only released seconds if it was something cosmetic (stock, exterior metal blemish, etc.) and it could not be anything that effected function (accuracy, smoothness etc.). I called them twice and talked to different people just to see if I was going to get a consistent response (I did). So either they are telling truth, or are at least getting their marketing story straight [Smile] .

They also reaffirmed that the warranty and accuaracy guarantee (1.5 moa) applied to the seconds.

End of story is I looked at 3 Accumark .280's they had at the store, and bought the one that worked (action, trigger) and looked best and got a great price.

It is a shooter. I have only used factory so far, but I get MOA with Federal 160g TBBC loads. Looking forward to tuning it up with some of my own.

[ 09-06-2003, 19:14: Message edited by: Burropacker ]

Posts: 56 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and purchased a super predator master second. As far as the mechanical aspect , it is the same as others I have looked at. Other than a couple of blemishes it is a new Weatherby rifle.

Posts: 266 | Location: Montana, up on the Highline | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paladin45,

What caliber did you get and how is it shooting for you? Hope it is working out.
Burro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do their varmint guns have long throats? I have a 257 Wby AccuMark and I can't get anywhere near the lands. I heard they do this to get their advertised speeds.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Burropacker, I got the rifle in .223 and hopefully I can get away today and see how it is going to shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I tried 5 different loads and the best I could do was 1 inch groups with factory Winchester 55 Gr. PSP

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paladin,
Thanks for the report. Looks like you are in for some fiddling if you are going to go for tighter groups.

Fortunately, there are a lot of possibilities with a .223, even if you don't reload. Have you tried the Hornady loaded ammo?

Best of luck.

Burro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only the Weatherby calibers have the freebore or long throats. Load to the published oal's or your magazine box and it will shoot fine. The regular calibers are chambered to SAMMI specs. Just nicer and smoother than most. You will love the SPM.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote