Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 grain V max in .222
 Login/Join

posted
For whatever reason other than something to do I'm thinking of trying 40 grain V-max bullets in my Remington 788 in .222. I will be using Benchmark or IMR4198. The rifle has I beleave a 1:10 twist. I have the same rifle in .223 and if it all goes well I will try these bullets in that rifle also.

Keep your powder dry and when you go afield take the kids, and please.......wear your seatbelts.

Posts: 18 | Location: 409 County Road 20, Craig Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like an idiot, I sold a 788 .222 Remington a couple years ago that would shoot 40gr Vmax's into .3's. I'll bet your rifle loves 'em.....

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Benchmark and 40gr V-max is a great combo. If your 788 has a stock barrel, the twist is probably 1 in 14".

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Barrel is stock so you are correct Matt. How much Benchmark? I use it in both the .222 and .223 already. Got most of an 8 lb keg so running short is not a problem yet.

BTW where bouts in Northern CO Matt? I put my place of residence on the table that way people can stop and tell me how full of $#?* I am. Big Grin

Keep your powder dry and when you go afield take the kids, and please.......wear your seatbelts.

Posts: 18 | Location: 409 County Road 20, Craig Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40 grain V-max and H335 is shooting so well, I haven't tried anything else. This is in a Savage 340D.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a rem 788 in .222 and i shoot 50gr v-max in front of 25.5 gr of win 748 and it will shoot .4's at 100m

Posts: 64 | Location: australia | Registered: 29 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
My 221 FB with I believe 24" barrel is shooting 40 V-max at over 3600 with 16.0 gr of Lil Gun.

That powder might work well in the deuce, not sure, but I was amazed at what the FB can do.

A 222 should do that and more with proper powder I would have to believe.

I would want nothing faster than a 14 twist with that bullet and most 222's have just that.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I just saw where you said your gun might be a 10 twist......I would try them anyway, those 788's are known for accuracy, I had one that did great with 50 gr RP HP and either BL-C or 335 cannot recall, but it was an old beat up gun, shortened barrel-21 or 22 I believe... with a cheesy crown and shot half inch and better all day long.

posted Hide Post
I'm sure it's a 1:14 twist now that I have been corrected by ColoradoMatt. I'll have to do the old cleaning rod trick to make sure tho. I've been wrong before homer

My 788 in .223 used to be a .222, just bored out to .223 so it is also a 1:14 twist. I've shot nothing but 55 grain Winchester psp's in it as that's the load I worked up when it was converted. That rifle has over 10,000 rounds thru it as both a .222 and .223. Still shoots under .50 mia (1/2") at 100 meters with that bullet. Started out using H335 but switched to Benchmark when I experienced some blown primers on hot days with the H335. Ruined a good pdog stand that day. Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to give AA2015 a try works great for me.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
2015 was my 'go to' powder for 223, no reason it won't also give a good show on speed and accuracy.

Good choice I would assume.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by recoil junky:
I'm sure it's a 1:14 twist now that I have been corrected by ColoradoMatt.

I said that it is "probably" a 1 in 14" twist. I wouldn't take anyones advise as the absolute truth on the internet. However, even if your rifle has a 1 in 10" twist I think it should still shoot the "short" bullets OK. I try not to quote data on the net, but IN MY GUN I can stuff 24 grains in the case with the bullets seated out farther than normal and a little compression. This load seems pretty mild in terms of pressure, and case is really full. I have experimented with this load, and it is accurate, but prefer 50gr Ballistic Tips for coyotes. I can't seat 40 grainers to the lands in my rifle, like I can with the 50's, but they still shoot 1/2 MOA. If I had a place to shoot pasture poodles, I would use 40 grainers. If you are looking for the best accuracy, I recommend Wilson bench rest dies and an arbor press (Sinclair international makes a good one). They come with an in-line bullet seater, and a neck sizer. To be used with fired cases. Full length resize your cases after every 5 or six shots. I never crimp, as neck tention is all you need, and crimping can hurt accuracy. If you want more speed, go to H4198 (IMR 4198 has longer extruded grains and doesn't meter well. H4198 doesn't meter great either, but is better then IMR). I won't quote any data on this one, as I think you can stuff enough powder to overload. Look in the manual and go from there. The 222 has a low SAAMI pressure limit compared to the 223, so you can juice it up a good bit, but watch your pressure signs. If you don't know how, then don't go over max. I have found that best accuracy in my gun comes with hotter than maximum listed loads, which I think are closer to 223 pressures. Happy Shooting.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt:

Don't know how lucky you are!!!

I shot out the original barrel on my Sako Vixen .222Mag in about 6000. Got where it wouldn't keep them within 6". Gave it up as gone. Rebarreled with a cheap A&?? Midwayusa blank 14" twist.

Then as I had 3 jugs of AA2200, decided to use that up. Imagine how many shells that'll load at 25gr.

Between me and another p/dogger, we had 18 different bullets 55gr and less. I loaded up 5 each, kept them recorded and spent hours at the range testing. Everyone was loaded the same: 25gr AA2200, CCI/SmR. Mixed cases.

Best ten got ten more loads to verify. Best 3 got 50 each for final's.

Best group was 40gr V-Max at .230". TEN SHOTS/100yds.

Chrongraphed them at 3640fps. Both 40's and 35's the same.

55gr/3120fps. This from a new 26" barrel. Still only has about 500 rounds thru it.

Hope this gives someone a little help to learn by, or info to help in guessing what the results will/can be.

Good luck, I'd highly recommend anyone with a new barrel/gun decide on the load, then sort the bullets like I did for accuracy. Take's awhile and lot's of loading. Gotta keep perfect records and keep each load separated.

Was fun and educational as this was my first time to rebarrel one. Gun got the tube, new custom stock, 6-18x Simmons glass and a bi pod all at the same rebuild. Wasn't any thing original other than bolt and action.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oooops, sorry!!

Rechambered to: .223, from the original .222RemMag.

Solely because of brass availability.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote