New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 788
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the chance to purchase a used Rem 788 in 22-250. I was looking at it today and noticed the unique 9 lug bolt and was wondering why it was discontinued--bad design or too expensive compared to the 700/722 design? Anything other than the trigger to watch out for with this model? Barrel looks OK but is the 788 a reasonable basis for a custom project down the road? Any other gremlins with this design a guy should watch out for? Are there aftermarket triggers and stocks available? Thanks a ton for the help!

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My father shot a 788 in 243 for many years and never had a problem with the gun.The rifle was also quite accurate as handloads gave consistant sub 1" groups.I am not aware of the availability of aftermarket stocks or other accessories for the 788 but they may verywell exist.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
The expense of getting nine lugs to all touch was higher than two large lugs. Haven't heard any complaints about the quality of the rifle, it is accurate most of the time.

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Arguably the second best rifle Remington ever made(after the 40XB).

If you don't want it I would be inerested.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington discontinued them because of poor sales. They were ugly as sin and the 700 sold better. Everybody thought the rear locking was a detriment but the action is very strong and does not flex. It was the choice of many benchresters for years. Very accurate rifles but the bolt handles have a tendency to come off.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My version would be that the 788 was so good that it cut seriously into the sales of the 700. Remington put the kiss of death on it the last few years it was made by putting barrels that were much too short on it.

It was available with the bolt on the left at a time when there were almost no left handed bolts and Remington simply would not make enough of them.

There used to be (and maybe still are) all sorts of aftermarket stuff for them. Sleeved, the actions were the poor man's way into a serious benchrest rifle.

My only caution would be to pull the bolt and check the back of the lugs w/ a magnifying glass to see how many are bearing. It's nothing to worry about if a couple aren't. That's common, and you can lap the lugs in if you decide to rebuild the rifle. There were reports, although I never saw one personally, that some very few rifles got out with only one or two lugs bearing. The same reports said that even if the strain of taking all the stress cracked or broke off the one lug, all that happened was that the other lugs could then bear.

The possibility of running into one of those is negligible, but the check is so easy that you might as well do it anyway.

If I have not been quite clear, GRAB THAT GUN if the price is near reasonable.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Got my first M788 in 1978 I think, wasn't pretty but it was and is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. It was in .223. Sold it and got something pretty but didn't shoot as well as the cheap rifle. Got another M788 in .223 with the turned back bolt handle in about 1981, it shot great and wasn't as ugly, then got another in .22/250, same thing shot fantastic. Now the bad news....don't own any of them now. But still have a M581 and it stays forever.

If you can find a good 788 in .223 or .22/250 get it, you won't be disappointed. If you are handy with tools and know your stuff you can get the factory trigger down to 2 lbs.

I shot in bench matches back in the early 80's as did several others and did very well against the Rem. 700's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two 788's, one in .243 and the other in .308 and wouldn't trade either for a custom 700. They shoot like demons with whatever I put into them as long as it's near max, mine don't like the lighter loads very well. The .243 shoots the 55 gr. NBT great and the .308 loves 125, 150, 165, and 180 gr NBT. According to what I have read, they have a lock time (the time it takes from when you pull the trigger to break the sear until the firing pin hits the hammer) that is the fastest ever made by Remington with the exception of the Electronx 700, and it's twice as fast as a M700. I'm not a huge fan of the clip, it drops out easily and doesn't do anything for the lines, but I stripped both of the stocks from the ugly factory finish and the .243 had a beautiful, flawless piece of birch that I clear coated and is now beautiful, the .308 had a walnut that I stained darker and finished. They are my workhorse guns that I'm not afraid to scar a little and they shoot like hell on wheels!!! I agree with the guy above, Remington quit making them because they were losing money because they outsold the 700 and they were much cheaper to buy. This is evidenced by the fact that replacement parts are next to impossible to find, so if you pick up an abused one for less than $100, it would be valuable to have if you own other 788's. By that puppy and if needs rebarreling, do it. The next one I find for a reasonable price with the .473 bolt face will be come my custom rifle chambered for a .20 BR for varminting fun! Buy it, shoot it, and love it! Bell and Carlson used to make stocks for it, I think they still do. It's from Remington's good years, treasure it.
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rarely do you hear such an unequivocally positive response about a production rifle--I went down and purchased the 788 this evening. It appears to be in 85% condition, bore looks good, its been shot but taken care of. All lugs appear to be bearing. Ran out, loaded a round, and put yet another hole in a fence pole in the dark just to hear the bang. I'll get down to business tomorrow. Thanks for the positive responses, I needed just the slightest coaxing--I'll let you know how she shoots.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let my tell you something about those damn 788's. I had a 1917 Enfield custom built with a Lilja benchrest barrel installed. It had a custom varmint thumbhole stock and a 8-32 target scope. It was chambered in 22/250 and shot very well. A friend of mine who is a gunsmith said I could take his 788 in 22/250 out varmint hunting and see how I liked it. The 788 shot circles around my custom Enfield. I've been able to shoot groups as small as 1/2" at 200yds with this 788. It took some horse trading and alot of whinning but that 788 is sitting in my safe now. The only problem is now there is four 788's setting in my safe now. There was a fifth. It was an almost new 308 with a short barrell. My gunsmith said if he could ever find one that it would never leave his place. I gave him that one. I have one 788 that is a custom switch barrel. It has a blue and white fiberglass stock, Stainless steel barrel, Target scope. It's my favorate gun in the safe right now. Don't ever get rid of your 788. Everyone who ever has wishes they'd have kept it. Good luck with your 788 and good shooting, The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Hutt>
posted
The 788 action design seems very close to the the superbly accurate 540 class rimfire rifles with a very fast lock time I might add.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold one, I almost don't regret. It was a .30-30. Wouldn't shoot cast bullets which was why I bought it.

But if I could get it back, I would try a new barrel for cast bullet shooting. Or maybe go to a .25-35 Impoved of some sort.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hutt,

So close to the 540 series that you can get the adjustable trigger for them on a 788.

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
snowcat - I believe Boyd's makes stocks for the 788. If it's like
my Dad's, brother's and cousin's 788 22-250's you'll LOVE it!!!

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
The story I got from a Remington VP years ago was that the 788 cost more to build than the 700s and it was supposed to be the econo model. So, they came out with the Sportsman 78, a no frills version of the 700. Now, the cheap rifle is the 710, a real step backwards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leftover-
Is the rimfire trigger truely interchangeable and if so, is it widely available (Canjars are great but $300...)? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowcat,

I have been out of tinkering with guns for ren years or a bit more, but my memory tells me that the adjustable trigger off a Rem 541 can be fitted to a Rem 788 with minor fitting if any.

I KNOW that the 788 trigger could be made adjustable, but that was back when if you messed it up, you could order another. I also KNOW that I tinkered several 788 triggers down to 2.5 pounds, nice and crisp. You gotta be careful, though, since the body of the 788 trigger is pot metal and cracked ones are not uncommon.

GEEZ, $400 for just the trigger of a gun I remember selling new for $99.95? (LH, $119.95)?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, Leftoverdj. I'll have to try that. - Dan

[ 11-18-2002, 20:18: Message edited by: dan belisle ]

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun Parts advertises 788 triggers for about $48 US, but they don't have any 541 triggers. Any ideas where a fellow could find one? - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just FYI--
Even with the heavy (but crisp) trigger on my "new" 788, to say I'm pleased would be understatement. Took the rifle to the range for the first time today and was amazed. 10 mph wind and light snow, bipod front rest as my bags are lent out, and the first 5 shot group of factory Win 45 grain rounds (bought for brass) went into an honest .66. 5 rounds!! I'm 31 years old and by all accounts fairly level headed but if anyone else had been dumb enough to be at the range today would have thought that I was nuts yipping and dancing around like that. Accuracy fell off slightly as my timing of the gusts became less precise and the barrell fouled but I can't wait to get to the bench and start loading for this rifle. I expect this kind of performance from new hvy barrelled varmint rigs (had a Savage 112 for a while that would do it) but a 30 year old used gun bought for cheap grouping like that just plain makes my day. Barring some catostrophe, I'll have this rifle as long as I'm able to shoot. Anyway--thanks all for the sound advice!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have yet to see a rifle round chambered 788 that didn't outshoot just about everything. The 44 mags do shoot, but not like the others.

Fastest locktime on a production rifle (excuse the etronix)

9 lugs, seems to cam the bolt in

easy easy to rebarrel... Last one I did was a right gun, left stock, 708... the KID i built it for (11 at the time) put the first 10 shots him fired from it in less than an inch. (i put the 4,5,6 rounds out of it in about .250)

good choice
jeffe

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont know if any one is interested, but I have a Remington 788 6mm LH for sale . It comes with 3mags. It is on consignment at Wild Bills Old West Trading Co. (916)686-7699 OR ezpardner@yahoo.com If your in Sac. the address is 10456 Grant Line Rd. Ste 250 Elk Grove Ca. 95624

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser Kid, I don't need another 6mm 788, but if you would be willing to split up your package I would sure like to buy one of those mags off you. Let me know, thanks - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
36g Varget, Fed 210, WW cases, 50g Ballistic Tip, 2.405 C.O.L. (due to magazine length.) Scary.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another source for 788 parts;
Outback Gun Parts
2110 McLean Ave.
New Albany, IN
812-945-0480
- Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
[EMAIL]ezpardner@yahoo.com [/EMAIL]

May sell off one magazine to reduce overall price of rifle.

916 686-7699

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
I picked up a 788 today. Currently a 222 chamber that I may ask my 'smith to ream to 223 later if he agrees. This is my first Remington sporter out of a bunch of rifles. My first preference has always been mil-surp actions rebuilt to my specs.
I will give this a go and expect darn good results judging by the respect for them in this thread. Besides for 200 bucks I can't go wrong [Razz] 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
45 Nut,
Please shoot it first...then save some money