New
Find
Notify
Tools

250 Savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys just had my Ruger full stock out to the range for its maiden voyage. Real nice shooting cartridge with Winchester 100gr factory ammo.

I would like to know your opinions on loading the 100gr TSX in the round? I have heard that some of you feel that the Barnes bullets require more velocity for best performance. Any powder recommendations?
Thanks Greg
I do have some 110 Accubonds that I can use, they did well out of my 257 AI rifle

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Boy Fasteel..

you sure are getting quite the nice collection of nice rifles up there in AB......

the 100 grain TSX would add a lot of capability to the little Savage..and it will get fast enough velocity to make it work...

wasn't there something about Barnes making an 85 grain TTSX in 25 Caliber?

that should bump you up if you think you need some more velocity..

the 250 AI is a highly efficient little round.. but I wouldn't want to see that special Ruger buggered up for that...

would dramatically decrease any future value..

for that lighter TTSX, my choice would be RL 7...

fast powders in a small case will give you the most velocity with light bullets

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 on the lighter bullet.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
While the small-bore Barnes X, TSX and TTSX offerings have given me mixed results, I have to admit that the newer 80 grain TTSX has lived up to Barnes' marketing in my son's 24" 25x30-30 and gives text-book expansion along with plenty of penetration for such a light projectile.

Nonetheless, even the cup-and-core 100 grainers will do fine on deer at the pedestrian speeds of the .250.

From single shot pistols through traditional rifles, Re-15 has been THE powder in my experience with the .250 and provides the best blend of both velocity and accuracy.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for RL15 and the 250 Savage. I use 100gr Partitions for deer hunting and have been more than satisfied.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The little 250-3000 is perfect for using ordinary, economical, cup-and-core bullets. You can drive a 100-grainer within lying distance of 3000 fps which will give you everything you need on game that is appropriate to this cartridge, ie. the various deer species. You can't go wrong with whatever ordinary Speer, Hornady, or Sierra shoots best in your gun. A Nosler Partition will be okay, but isn't really necessary.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote