THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    who makes a good quality sporter in 243?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

who makes a good quality sporter in 243?
 Login/Join

<nated>
posted
i'm looking for a sporter to start varmint, and have heard good things about ruger and savage, but the jury is still out. i'm looking for best accuracy and dependability, but without breaking the bank. if anyone has an opinion or information on the above or others i'd appreciate it. thanks, nate
opinions are like b-holes, everybody has on e, & thanks for listening to mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From personal experience, I'd go for a Tikka from Scandinavia. Exceelent build quality, reliable and accurate. Good looking too!

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The savage heavy barrels I have shot have all been great shooters easy under .5 in groups with most loads. A lot off .25 to .375 groups. The rugers are tougher rifles and a bit better made. If just for varmints I would go with savage if going for bigger game I would go with ruger I have had just to many miss feeds with my savage's to trust on any thing bigger then the varmints. The savages shoot great but they are not as dependable as the others.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<gunner7mm>
posted
ive got a savage tactical 308 and i really like ive got under 1/2 groups with it and a savage striker in 243.first thing i did was put rifle basix triggers in both of them and second i put good scopes on them.im like to see i think its the savage sierra in 243. fore yotes. jason

<Roger 4>
posted
Nated,,,as stated the Savages really do shoot
great,,,you can`t go wrong with their accuracy either,,,another really fun little
shooter is the H&R Ultras,,,243 Bull Barrel.
They are singel shot break open type,,,
will run you about $225 ~ $230 ,,and will
shoot 1/2",,with a good hand load,,,triggers are bad but H&R will do a trigger job for free if you`ll send it back to them.
for what it`s worth to you,,,,,,,,,,Roger

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by nated:
i'm looking for a sporter to start varmint, and have heard good things about ruger and savage, but the jury is still out. i'm looking for best accuracy and dependability, but without breaking the bank. if anyone has an opinion or information on the above or others i'd appreciate it. thanks, nate
opinions are like b-holes, everybody has on e, & thanks for listening to mine.

One of the best values in a .243 for accurate varmint and big game hunting is the Remington M700 VLS. It has a matte blue finish, heavy floated varmint barrel, short action, and a beautiful laminated wood stock. This rifle sells for between $525 and $589. The Savage 112BVSS is a similarly priced rifle also excellent and sports a fluted button rifled stainless steel barrel and a laminated stock by Bishop. Either one will work fine, pick the one you like. I'd probably lean slightly toward the Remington but I'd certainly be very happy with either one.

Good luck.
re5513

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the Savage, my 22-250 shoots in the .3's

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/catalog/md70/m70_coyote.htm

Winchester makes a Model 70 variant called "coyote" with a light varmint barrel in .243. MM

<Daethorn>
posted
I have a Savage .243 and use it 4 Deer. It is the most accurate gun in my arsenal. I also like the Win .243 my buddy bought 1 for ground hoggin and also uses it 4 deer. But in my opinion you just can't gowrong with the Savage.

Dae

<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
To throw a cat amoungst the pigeons.

Howa Stainless Lightning.
Ok Ok I know it's not crf but a very very accurate out of the box rifle.
Its a wetherby vanguard in Howa clothing.

<Reloader66>
posted
WalMart sells both the Savage and Weatherby Vanguard. The Weatherby is a better deal because you can rework the trigger, and sells for $388.00. The Savage at $299.00 on sale at WalMart is hard to beat in the 243, but the trigger in a Savage is the worst on any factory rifle made. You must replace the trigger at a cost of 89.95 to shoot good groups with a Savage.

<Hutt>
posted
Remington Model 788, out of production but the action speaks for itself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll agree with Hutt on this one. I have four 788's in various calibers (22-250, 22-243 Middlestead, 6mm Rem, and 7mm-08) and they are all good shooters. Should be able to find a nice one on the used market, for a decent price. They were also made in 222 Rem, 222 Rem Mag, 223 Rem, 243, 30-30, 308, and 44 Mag in both rifle and carbine configurations. Great rifles. Personally I think Remington stopped selling them because they almost always outshot the more expensive 700. Ok, ok, I know it was a cost thing, but why mess with a good conspiracy theory. Anyway, find yourself a good one and enjoy it. You won't regret it. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote