THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Critter Getter Completed! (Pictures)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Critter Getter Completed! (Pictures)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
Well after a year and a half of piecing this thing together, she's finally complete. beer

Despite the fanciness, this is a HUNTING rifle and will be my varmint rig. It was mainly built for calling coyotes and for getting out of the truck window quickly for runnin’ dogs. Hopefully not too many follow-up shots will be necessary, but it's nice to know they’re there if you need ‘em quickly.

“Overkill,†you say? You bet! gunsmile

The Details…

Upper and lower “Black Diamond Series†receivers:
-made by SOCOM Mfg in North Augusta, S.C. Ernie is a GREAT knowledgeable person to work with. I always
wanted to ask him why the selector reads, “FIRE, SAFE, AUTO� shame Hmmm….
-http://www.socommfg.com/diamond.html
-has a side-cocking mechanism
-built in trigger adjustment system
-built in jacking screw
-the are 100% CNC machined from solid 7 lb. blocks of billet aluminum
-Lifetime warranty
-Built like a brick shithouse

Barrel:
-All barrel work and final assembly done by John Noveske of Grants Pass, Oregon. He is a top-notch
gunsmith, knows his stuff, and is another great person to work with. I highly recommend him. He builds
cool stuff for the military that he can’t talk about… you’ll have to call him to find out more.
-www.jnrifleworks.com
-PAC-NOR 18†SS Fluted barrel
-1 in 12†twist
-SPR contour
-chambered in .223 Rem. Noveske (.223 Remington with a very short throat for varmint weight bullets)
-bead blasted with flames (yea, I know that was overboard too… but that’s the first thing people have
noticed at the range so far)
-DPMS gas block

Jewell Trigger (sweeeeet!!)

DPMS vented free-floating tube (carbine)

DPMS Titanium Nitride Bolt assembly

DPMS Standard Buttstock

Sierra Precision Handgrip

McFarland Gas Ring

Match SS Trigger Pins

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50mm
-For me, this is too large for most hunting situations besides prairie dogs and
squirrels. It’s good for working up loads too, I guess.
-I plan on using a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X33mm or something similar for most hunting… especially coyotes.
Maybe even a red dot or EO-Tech.

Leupold QRW Quick Release Rings (medium or high??)

PRELIMINARY LOADS

I broke in the barrel and fireformed a few pieces of brass.

-Identical powder charge used for all loads = 26.0 gr. of Hodgdon H335
-Used 3 different bullets:
-Hornady 55 gr. V-Max
-Hornady 52 gr BTHP
-Winchester 55 gr. FMJ – bulk “el cheapo†bullet

There was a 5-10 MPH wind mainly from my back, so I think it was negligible at 100 yards. However, for some reason I kept pulling shots to the left all day so those may be flyers in the two Hornady groups… dunno. Regardless, I think the rifle is showing some potential given that these were random loads that grouped well and shot to the same point of impact. The rifle's capability is really beyond most needs and I won’t be able to shoot any better than that in the field anyway… regardless, I'll still develop the best load for her. At least I'll always know that a miss will be 100% human error.

Like I said earlier, this is a varmint rifle that was built for killin'… no 77 grain BTHP match bullets here.

I have a warm spot for the Hornady V-Max and their explosive nature. I will likely shoot the 50 gr. over the 55 gr. The 50 grainer has a boattail (the 55 gr uses a flat base) that seats better when using Wilson hand dies [I use a threaded taper crimp die after seating].

Sorry to write a novel, but I know how you guys are about the details!

I'll post again in June with load development results.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
That's one pretty rig! My Colt Delta can't hold a candle to those flames... Well Done.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do prefer blued steel and dead tree parts over stainless and sythetics, but I gotta tell ya, that's one nice lookin rifle. As an old time hot rodder, I just love the flames! Again, very nice.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fellas. I'm glad to hear you like it. I couldn't afford to build it again, so I'm really happy it's over with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
[Deleted this section and moved it to the "Reloading" forum]

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful system-- I went a slightly different direction with my coyote rig-- it's a Bushmaster lower with a 9 twist 26" Hart. I'm a spot and stalk coyote hunter and wanted to see how far out i could go with a 223-based case. It's a 223AI, and i can get good results out of the 69 Nosler Comp. to about 500 yds. with the 4.5-14X Burris Fullfield/Ballistic Plex reticle. Once the reticle's zeroed well it's just fantastic to long-range under good conditions.

That 2.5-8X should be just great for this application (probably better than my big Fullfield). What kind of reticle r u gonna have in it??

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Soon as I saw the flames i recognized John's work.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Don

Posts: 128 | Location: Oregon,USA | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote