THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Poll - Time for the .264 WinMag to make a comeback?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll - Time for the .264 WinMag to make a comeback?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

Later on Remington did a better job than Winchester in copying the 7x64. Their cartridge was the 7x63. It was initially named the 7mm Remington Express but later renamed to .280 Remington.

Actually, the cartridge was introduced in the 50's by Remington as the 280 Remington. They briefly changed the name to 7MM Express Remington around 1980, but quickly changed the name back to 280, due to confusion over the name 7MM Express with the 7MM Magnum.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a pre-64 Featherweight 264 mag for sale if anyone is interested.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 264 mag was a heck of a Bean Field rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
The .264 suffered from two things when it was first introduced.

The first was Winchester's puzzling decision to use a zero leade so that the full diameter of the bullet could not extend beyond the case mouth. That's why (if you have a standard SAAMI chamber) that the .264 yields such disappointing velocities compared to other 6.5mm cartridges.

The other shortcoming was the lack of availability of appropriate powders. Now we have very slow burners from Vihtavouri, Alliant, IMR, and Hodgdon (as well as the availability of surplus powders like WC 872 and 860) which let the .264 strut its stuff with 140 grain bullets.

A dirty little secret is that the .264 has all of the case capacity (and maybe just a tad more than) the 6.5 bore can use. If you ream the leade for a normal bullet seating depth the difference in it and a 26 Nosler is less than the difference between two random barrels.

I've been shooting a .264 for just over a half-century now (it was my first genuine centerfire rifle and I still have it.) It was only after extending the leade to allow a Nosler 140 Partition to be seated flush with the base of the neck -- and after judicious load work-up with a slow surplus powder -- that I confirmed that it can truly be a fine long-range cartridge which leaves little to be desired.

Bottom line: It does have something of a cult following (just check on the premium that a .264 brings over the same rifle chambered for a more common cartridge). But only if the original SAAMI specs are DESTROYED and a normal chamber is made standard will the .264 merit any future attention from the industry.

As above.

A mate of mine (he posts on AR as Blair 338RUM) ja great results with a couple of 264s. These were accuracy rifles, Jewell triggers, Noghtforce scopes etc)

One problem that does exist today is brass like Winchester and Remington is not as hard as it was up till about early to mid 1990s. I believe that is related to litigation and so the brass will show pressure sign at lower pressure. anyone who has done much loading will know the higher the pressure the greater the pressure will increase with a touch more powder, different primer, barrel fouling and so on.

As you said Mike I had great success with mine.
The main problem with them is with the 140gr bullet you need a very slow burning powder such as N570 to get full velocity with them. And getting those slow powders is a real problem now in Australia.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was the first one to run out and buy a 264 Win mod. 70 pre 64 when it first came out, It recoiled more than I suppected and wasn't any better than a 270 in the killing fields, or over my chronograph, Later I got a fwt and it was a disaster, not even as good as the std. wt and kicked like two mules..Went back to my .270s...

Today if one wants more gun than a 270 or 30-06 then get a 300 magnum of some sort or as in my case a .338 Win.

The 264 is dead as a doorknob and the queen of the internet the 7 mag is losing ground every day..but the 7 mag will stay around from now on, but the 264 is morebound.. sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MIke,
According to firearms companies the 30-06 is holding its own in the USA, they go by ammo sales..
The 7x57 has picked up a little and will probabl never make the top 10, but its status with the masses has nothing to do with my choice, if I had the only one in the world Id be happy as a church mouse! tu2

I don't pick my guns or calibers by what other folks think and I just voice my opinion while wasting time on the internet, and its interesting to see other points of view..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The advent of inexpensive chronographs for the consumer market killed the 264 Win Mag.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And ultra slow burning powders has allowed it to rise from the dead Smiler

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep...the .264 Win Mag and the .270 Winchester are so close ballistically its pointless to discuss the differences. There is no practical difference. For that matter a 7mm Rem Mag in its 140 gr version is also identical to the other two from any practical perspective... The one thing the 7mm going for it that the other two don't is you can oad it with some 175 grain bullets for elk and get some decent velocities with the heavier pills. But in the 120,130 and 140 bullet weights the three cartridges are virtually identical.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the chronograph is a bubble buster for sure! flame

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
The Ross was a shitty gun but as a caliber it was awesome.

Gerlich and Halbe in Kiel Germany put the revs on the Ross and shot a 100 gr bullet from it at 3900 fps and that was before WW2 Eeker Eeker

The Mauser M98 actioned rifles has very long 28 inch plus barrels and they really milked the FPS from the ross

The actual groups and velocities done at the Hallensee proving ground in Germany

The Ross was a fine rifle, that suffered from a British smear-job. First off they hated it when uppitty colonials produced a rifle of their own design then beat them badly with said rifles. Then; after confiscating our good Canadian ammunition for their Victors and Maxims and substituting condemned lots of their own junk they then found it more expedient to bad-mouth the rifle than hang the bastards that did it.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike McGuire,

The .270 Win had a 40 year head start on the 7MM Rem Mag.

Now here's how I see it, and I see it pretty clearly since I own a couple .270 Win rifles & a 7MM Rem Mag that I bought way back when when I thought I needed an authentic elk rifle. I was too naive to figure out that I already had a perfectly good elk rifle in my .270 Win. Yes, the 7MM Rem Mag will kill massive herd bulls just as dead as any mega magnum. It works as advertised with 24" barreled rifles. The .270 Win will kill herd bulls just as dead.

I doubt I'll again hunt with my 7MM Rem Mag. I do have an accuracy attachment to it. That rifle will print very, very tiny groups. My 2 .270 Win rifles shoot just as good & they're a whole lot lighter.

The reality of big game hunting is preference motivates our rifle/cartridge choices. The reality of that reality is any suitable big game cartridge will kill big game just as dead, assuming good shooting.

Marketers can be pretty persuasive. All we gotta do is differentiate marketing propaganda from science. And in big game hunting, science of biology always wins.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Ray,

Some 5 years ago I read an article that indicated that the .308 Win had surpassed the great '06 in rifle sales. I was incredulous until I got to thinking. If we considered only big game hunting, I'd guess the '06 would have not lost its dominance even though the .308 Win will kill big game just as dead. But the article included sales of all rifles. Hence, bench rest shooters seem to love their super accurate .308 Wins & military replica rifles (they're NOT assault rifles) chambered for .308 Win have become immensely popular.

I do not own an '06. I do own a .308 Win that I don't need. The .308 Win will one-shot kill big game. It performs exceptionally well with 22" & shorter barrels, which I love. From a perspective of efficiency and effectiveness, cartridge development could have ended when the US Army introduced the '06. Lots of cartridges have come & gone since the Army gave us the '06. The '06 has never been nor will it ever be in danger of obsolescence. When mega magnum users get tired of taking beatings at benches where accuracy is determined and confidence is created, my guess is they'll figure out an '06 will kill just as dead as a .300 RUM w/o severe punishment.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I inherited a M70 264 Win Mag , it was accurate, heavy, and loud. I shot one Pronghorn with it at 50 yards and sold it.
I did not need it as I had .243, 308, 338 WM, .405 WCF, 45-90, +.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I dont see the 264 making a comeback. The whole 6.5 craze going on is all about precision shooting, and they are going in the opposite direction of hard hitting Mag's. It wouldnt hurt my feelings if some manufacturer decided to try to make bank on current trends and standardize the 6.5-06 though. dancing

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10167 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
I dont see the 264 making a comeback. The whole 6.5 craze going on is all about precision shooting, and they are going in the opposite direction of hard hitting Mag's. It wouldnt hurt my feelings if some manufacturer decided to try to make bank on current trends and standardize the 6.5-06 though. dancing

I doubt a factory 6.5/06 will come. The 270 is the first problem. The second problem it would have is a problem it shares with the 338/06 and 35 Whelen. A 6.5/06, like the 338/06 and 35 Whelen, in general is a market where cost of rifles and ammo will only bear 270 and 30/06 pricing. The 375 H&H is not a big seller but rifles and ammo have a market that will bear higher prices. Look at the Model 70 in 375. It is uses the crappy wood as the standard sporter but costs more than a Model 70 Super Grade.

Consider the more extreme end such as the 30/378 and 378. both have been going for a long times, I think about 1953 for the 378 yet they are available world wide and obviously the market for them is small. However, look at rifle prices and ammo or brass prices and obviously Weatherby don't need to sell very many for them to be profitable calibres.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote