New
Find
Notify
Tools

? on 6.5X55 swedish.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got a Mauser action, 6.5 brass, all I need is a barrel and stock. My question is if I chose a 24 inch barrel and shooting 120-130 grain bullets, about what velocity would I be gettin. I am not sure what powders I'd be using. Its gonna be a Mule Deer and Antelope rifle.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingFor one; AA4350 at 2700 fps. + beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you should be able to push the 120's to 3,000 if you so desire. RL22 will do it.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
3000 w/ IMR 4831 also. My 1600 likes 129gr and they cook.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I Haven't tried RL22 yet, but my 6.5x55 likes 120 NBTs and RL19. I will try RL22 with 140s and heavier. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I use IMr 4350 or 4064 and IMR 4985 in my loads...

any powder will run a 120 grainer at right about 3000 fps...

don't get hung up on max fps tho...

6.5 bores are aerodynamically very flat shooting.. without redlined MV...

I can push 120 grainers to 3200+ fps out of my 29 inch barreled Mauser....however compared to 2800 fps out of the same barrel with the same bullet, one does not notice any less capability of the bullet or ability to hit a far distance target, or to kill game upon impact...

most 6.5 bullets are happiest around 2700 to 2800 fps MV for the best accuracy...

there are no real bad 6.5 bullets unless the shooter misapplies their application...

eg, don't elk hunt with an 85 grain HP Sierra with an MV of 3500 fps..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about mv, it's a better cartridge than the 270, and a damn sight more pleasant to shoot.

Dunno why, but it kills like the hammer of Thor.

Before anyone flames me, I rebarelled my Ruger 270 with a Pac-Nor 6.5 Swede barrel (1:8 twist) and it's more accurate, more flexible, isn't sensitive to bullet weight and as I said, it kills.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't worry about mv, it's a better cartridge than the 270, and a damn sight more pleasant to shoot.

I'm not sure this is totally true, but damn close to it. For sure it's more pleasant to shoot!

And yes, it's a deadly killer.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys, will be going in my load book.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I honestly prefer the 140 grained pills at 2,800 fps than the 120's at 3,000 fps. The longer bullets have much better sectional density and penetration, and you're only losing a couple of inches at most at 300 yards... I guess a couple of inches when hunting prongorn might be an issue, but the extra enrgy and penetration of the 140 grained bullets seems to be worth it in my opinion. I also think, at least in my experience, that the heavier longer bullets will proportionally lose less velocity and trajectory the further along the bullets get.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote