New
Find
Notify
Tools

95 grain sst load data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Want to load some of these bad boys for my 6 BR but can't find any published data? Have Varget for my powder of choice

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mmBR is a good place to start and check Reloaders Nest.
Start at 29.5 gr with a COAL of 2.35"...my 16.5" BR does a few tenths more for ~2600fs. 8208, RL-15 and 760 do about s well.

Powder amounts get a mite touchy in this case near the top end and a couple tenths will cause lockup, and NOT A LOT MORE VELO so I keep the powder on the down low side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't see anything on accurate shooter. I have my COAL at 2.30. Will try that and if it doesn't shoot good will hang it out another 5 thousandths. The only powder I have is Vit N140 and Varget. No RL 15 to be had around here. Will check out reloaders nest to see what they have. I also contacted hornady to see what they say.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mmBR has a very good article and load info on the 6mmBR on it's 6BR page...how did you miss that???...just under the VARMINT PAGES.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked the 6BR site and no info to be had on the 95 grain SST. I have some 95 grain bergers can I use the same recipe for the 95 grain SST bullets ? I was always taught different bullets will have different pressures. Just want to load safely

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No loads specifically for the SST but you can use ANY data for a specific GRAIN weight as long as you start down about 10%...The same can be said for using data for a specific published load. NEVER use data from a different weapon as published AS IS...ALWAYS start at least 10% below and work up.

This information is ALWAYS printed somewhere in the fine print in EVERY reloading manual or published data and it is something that many, including myself, always assume every reloader has learned/knows.

Yes different bullets will produce different pressures...lots of data on AR and other forums concerning this, but it's all relative...the pressure could be higher or lower...YOU have to determine just what YOUR rifle does with various bullets...all the "stuff" floating around on the web needs to be looked at with a jaundiced eye and not as something cast in stone.

Just like gold...YOU have to dig through tons of muck to find it and need to be aware of Iron Pyrite..."fools gold"...lots of it out there.

Odds are that your rifle will digest published loads without problems but most of those loads have been tailored to a specific rifle with a specific chamber/throat/etc., and to get the same accuracy you will need to fiddle a few tenths up or down.

If those loads are on the ragged edge of danger but shoot OK in a particular rifle and you come along with something totally different with the parameters then you could get a nasty surprise.

Luck