New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 Ruger?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are these on the shelves yet? Anyone have any comments?

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing spotted yet at my local Gander Mountain or two other large shops. A buddy is drooling over these so I've been on the lookout for him.

Personally I am lukewarm about these. From what I gather the performance levels advertised can only be attained by using the Hornady ammo, which uses proprietary powders. For the moment, at least, it does not look like an effective handloading proposition. If a person doesn't roll his own it is no matter, of course.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Maybe Mid March

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

....From what I gather the performance levels advertised can only be attained by using the Hornady ammo, which uses proprietary powders. For the moment, at least, it does not look like an effective handloading proposition. If a person doesn't roll his own it is no matter, of course.

Bob,

The velocity advertised for the .204 Ruger and 32Vmax (4225) is actually about 100fps slower than what some shooters are getting with the Tactical Twenty (.223 case) and the old 33 grain Vmax. I believe that a handloader and the .204 Ruger with its larger case (.222Rem Mag) will be able to reach 4400 in a 26" barrel.

Just an opinion, of course. We'll know soon enough.

Let us know when you see them show up at Gander Mountain and the other shops.

Mike Johnston The Twenty Caliber Page

Posts: 43 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What I'm not getting is why Ruger bothers to chamber this in a rifle with a 20" barrel. If it has all that potential, then 26" is where its at. If you want the lightweight, short rifle, then you wight as well go with a more standard cartridge and handload. I am interested in the 204 in a full length rifle for prairie dogs, but I just can't understand the point of cutting 6" off the performance.

Rick L.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aim4thefur: I just reviewed one of the press releases from Ruger. They are going to offer the 204 Ruger in 5 Rifles. 3 of those Rifles are 26" barrel Models. 1 of those Rifles is a 24" Model. And 1 is of a barrel length I am unfamiliar with. Perhaps that is the 20" barrel Model you are worried about?
Solution simply buy one of the longer barreled offerings.
Good luck if you decide to try one!
I am excited about the 204 myself as I live in long range and large Varmint country!
Good for Ruger and Hornady following (admitedly many years and decades behind) Remingtons on going policy and program of offering new and wildcat cartridge chamberings! I for one really appreciate all the new cartridges coming along!
May I list just some of my favorites to become factory chamberings?

Here goes with just a few of my "new" favorites:

221 Remington Fireball
222 Remington
223 Remington
222 Remington Magnum
22 Bench Rest Remington
22-250 Remington
6mm Bench Rest Remington
6mm PPC
6mm Remington
25/06 Remington
260 Remington
280 Remington

Yeah, thanks for the all efforts and risks the Gunmakers have taken to bring us the new cartridge chamberings in factory Rifles! By the way I own and use at least one of each of the above list.
I think the factories need more kudos and encouragement in this regard rather than negativism and scorn!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey VarmintGuy,

I think you will love the .204 for the kind of varminting you do up there. A Tactical Twenty on a 700 action is my most used rifle at this point, and I am extremely happy that Ruger and Hornady teamed up on this new round. Like others, I am sure hopeful (but not confident) that Ruger puts forth its best effort on making these accurate out of the box. There are plenty of good bullets to choose from now in addition to the Hornady, so bullet availability should not be an issue.

Mike Johnston

Posts: 43 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of trying the target rifle with the 26" barrel, I just didn't think there would be a real demand for the lightweight walkaround rifle with the short barrel. Not like you're going to tote one off into the mountains.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to let everyone know. I got my 204 Ruger Hornedy dies today in the mail from Midway. I imagine the ammo and guns won't be far behind. Midway is running specials on 222 Rem Mag brass, and 32gr V-max bullets. Ed

Posts: 88 | Location: Eastern Kansas | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont think this will go very far because the avalibility(or lack there of) of brass. I would much rather just build a 20 tactical or 22/243.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My computer says that a 222 rem necked to .204 shooting a 32 gr bullet has an optimal bbl length of 26.1 inches and will drive a 32 gr bullet 4220 fps.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Sabot,

What software you running that gives optimum barrel length?

Thanks,

Posts: 17 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote