THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What about the new wssm in 223&243?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about the new wssm in 223&243?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted
Whats next? wsssm [Big Grin] The add says the 223 is 200 fps faster than the 22.250 and the 243wssm is 200 fps faster than the 243 win. I think I just might have to try one out.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Of course most of the rifles they'll be chambered for have 22" bbl's... preposterous!

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I would like to see Savage chamber one of the 12bvss , my 22.250 is worth more than i traded for it. [Big Grin] OH yea ,, 26" barrel of course [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The original 243 came out in the M70 Featherweight and sold quite well with it's 22" barrel. I just talked to an old friend of mine who had a new one in 1955. He could shoot about as well as anyone has back then. He had the Balvar 2.5X8 on it.

I suppose Brad will have the first one, cut the barrel to 20" and sell it before I even see one for sale.

It so happens that I contacted them before this came out and asked for a 22" barrel. There was a talk of a 21" barrel in the Classic and a 26" in the push feed.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the brownings will be mostly 21" barrels with the exception of their varminter but remember when the short mags came out winchester went with all 24" barrels and browning went with 23" which is all you need for optimum velocity for the propellants they are using in the factory loads so i don't think browning is cutting any corners with the 21" barrels,

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I dont think 21" pencil barrels will last long at 4000fps. I think the wssm would be better suited fo benchrest and varmint rigs. Just my opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Went over and checked out Winchesters ammunition site for ballistic data on these two new rounds. In the 243 WSSM the 100 gr is advertised at 3110 fps - regular 243 can be handloaded to almost this velocity - and a 6mm Rem will do better. the 223 WSSM was 3850 for the 55 gr bullet - pretty much a 22-250. The only advantage I see is a shorter than short action. Think they would have done better to stick with the original WSM case and brought out a 25, 338 or 35 caliber round(s). Oh well.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a pencil barrel shooting a 64 gr bullet at 3600 will last as long as i need it for smoking a doe on a corn pile

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I think Rifleman1 is on to something.

Maybe they should have designed a 6mm ssm.
Then 6ppc shooters might have some compition?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested if handloaders can improve the velocity very much. My hunch is they are loaded to about the max as is, but I hope I am wrong. What is bugging me about the short mags is they usually "almost" reach velocities of the traditional belted mags. I do think there are some very good features, but I am not going to replace any rifles just to get one. I want to learn more about them from those of you buying them. I may consider one for my young hunter, another young republican Californian out to defend his right to keep and bear arms. (amoungst a world of wacko's brainwashed by Barbara Boxer).

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote