Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 grendel Ballistics ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
. Not having much time to spend on the computer . I was wondering if anyone knowledgeable could tell me how fast the 6.5 Grendel pushes a 120 gr bullet from a 20" barrel AR platform .???
. Thanks .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Phil N
posted Hide Post
Rather broad question. Depending on the powder and load...2100fps up to almost 2500fps.

I am NOT impressed with it or the 6.8SPC.

US Army 1977-1998

Posts: 82 | Location: Carthage, NY | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil N:
I am NOT impressed with it or the 6.8SPC.

Roll Eyes X 2 but at one time, who knows, they could have been great military rounds. flameroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
am NOT impressed with it or the 6.8SPC.

Wow Phil, not impressed with 2500 + out of that dinky little case? I call it pretty impressive.
Alexander arms claims, from a 24" barrel 2650 with a 123 grn lapua scenar at 50,000 psi. If those numbers are true thats darn good vel without unduly high pressure.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
2650 with a 123 grn lapua scenar at 50,000 psi

Thats about 150fps higher than QL can get with the 123 and 50000

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Phil N
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
quote:
am NOT impressed with it or the 6.8SPC.

Wow Phil, not impressed with 2500 + out of that dinky little case? I call it pretty impressive.
Alexander arms claims, from a 24" barrel 2650 with a 123 grn lapua scenar at 50,000 psi. If those numbers are true thats darn good vel without unduly high pressure.

The 6.5x55 did that 100+ years ago. Larger case of course but, I am still not impressed with it. Just my opinion, of course.

US Army 1977-1998

Posts: 82 | Location: Carthage, NY | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil N:
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
[QUOTE]am NOT impressed with it or the 6.8SPC.

Almost as good as a 30-30. shockerroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Well, for what it is, the Grendel is not too shabby. Apparently, it beats the 308 Win at extreme ranges. It is, after all, a 'little' cartridge. And since it was designed around the AR frame, it can only be an improvement on the 5.56 Nato. Just my opinion.Roll Eyes

How does it compare with the 7.62x39 in the same frame?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
How does it compare with the 7.62x39 in the same frame?

What are you wanting to compare? Velocity, Accuracy, Bullet weight, Trajectory, Retained energy, Recoil, Magazine capacity, Suitability for an intended purpose.

There is not a cartridge made that will not compare badly with another in some category or another, but on a range of paremeters one is chosen over another.

For what its worth I realy like this cartridge and visit the Grendel forum ocasionally
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/index.php?

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While it was intended to improve performance on the standard AR15 platform, I have one in a bolt action. CZ 527 in 7.62x39, sent it to Brockman's Rifles for a rebarrel to 6.5 Grendel, 19" Lothar Walther, free floated, action bedded, trigger set to 2.5 pounds, wears a 2x-7x Burris Compact scope in CZ rings. Fun to shoot all day long, easy to carry all day long while deer hunting. Ballistically, does it do anything other cartridges do not? No, but given the cartridge OAL restrictions of the AR15 platform, it comes close to giving the most versatility from a military perspective for that platform.

Do I need a 6.5 Grendel? No, but my German Shorthair Pointer is named Grendel, so once i learned there was a cartridge with the same name, I had to have a rifle that chambered it...Wink

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...Thanks for the replies all . and the link Von Gruff... . My thots for it are as a fur rifle 20" barrel that can double as a smaller big game rifle with the 120 gr TSX bullets and 110 gr Banded Solids for fur .. . my 223 really is affected by the wind alot and so I,ve been thinking about the 264 LBC and the 6.5 Grendel .. or the 6x45 . all on AR platforms .

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've built quite a few 6.5 Grendel AR's, and really like it for some things. Mostly for guys that want to hunt deer with their AR, the Grendel is a fine choice. Better yet is they are very accurate also. I use worn-out high-power 6.5-284 barrels and cut 6" off the breech end and re-contour for an AR. Every one has shot 3/4 MOA or better (most 1/2 MOA) with those used Krieger barrels. I also built one on a CZ 527 for my daughters first deer rifle. That is one trim, lightweight, handy rifle and when she's of age I'm sure she'll appreciate it (she's almost 5 years old now!).

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt; What is a good twist rate for the 120 gr TSX bullet ? any idea?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesFor what it does on the AR pltform the Grendel has a definite use.The use and the excitement for that catridge extends into the sporting field in the bolt action also. This surprises me as not many have that type excitement for the 6.5x54 or 6.5 Carcano which in modern loading can surpass thr Grendel and have been around for a 100 years. shocker
Does this warm and wonderful feeling for the Grendel only exist because it is something new and getting a lot of press?
flameThis is not a Grendel attack, rather it is an effort to gain insight into the Grendel's reception by the shooting fraternaty. Much tado about what? beerroger

<Andrew cempa>
posted
Not meant as a hi-jack-but check out 6mmAR.com- the 6mm AR turbo is a necked down grendel- pushes a 107 grn SMK at ~3000 and is in league with the 6XC for overall performance-and from an AR platform.

Where the 6.5 Grendel falls short- in ballistics for longer range, the 6mm AR series gets its legs. Imagine a 1000 yard AR platform-of course the trade off is going to a 6mm, but the exteriro ballisitic perfoprmance is hard to beat-especially in a AR(15) platform.

Hi-power match rifles will be using this cartridge if it is marketed correctly, Robt Whitley makes a fine set up.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. Roger . I think the Grendel is great because it will fit a micro mauser action or the AR .
. For myself , I'm after a round I can take a fox without blowing a huge hole in it's hide and cleanly kill wolves and caribou with with the same solid , or switch to a 120 gr TSX for the larger game such as caribou .
. The 6x45 is a round I am interested in also as I can use 80 gr Hornady fmj or 90 gr FMJBT Game Kings for fur and 85 gr TSX for Bou .

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Don't waste your time with the Grendel. Go with the 6.5x47 Lapua. tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been working with a 6.5 Grendel for the last 3 weeks. I bought an upper and mated it to a DPMS lower just to see what it would do. It has a 20" E.R. Shaw 1 in 9 twist non chrome lined barrel. After barrel break in I have found a load using Benchmark with the 107 Sierra MK that is giving me consistent 5 shot groups @ 100 yards that are in the .5 and .6's. Velocity it averaging 2684 fps. No pressure issues.

A friend of mine bought an upper just like mine and is working with the 120 gr. bullets. He has found a load with IMR 8208 XBR that is shooting in the .75 MOA range. Velocity is 2490 fps and it is starting to flatten primers. IMHO, if AA is getting is actually getting 2650 fps with the factory loads, it is with powders that are not available to the handloader.

Next up for me is trying to find a load with the 90 gr. Speer TNT. Hope to find a load that gives sub .75 MOA at 2750 fps.

It is a nice little cartridge that does give the AR 15 platform a little more smack. The claims of being supersonic past 1K, well I don't see it with the velocities I am finding achievable. MAYBE in a 28" barrel bolt gun????
I think those claims are marketing hype. There are a lot of older 6.5 chamberings that will do a lot more than the Grendel. Not to mention the host of modern 6.5 chamberings.

Having said all that, I do like the chambering. It will make the wife and darn nice light weight, low recoil deer and hog rifle with more punch than the 223 she uses now. With the health issues she just can't take much recoil. The Grendel will fill that purpose.

PaPa 260

Posts: 109 | Location: Extreme Southwest Indiana | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 29 April 2010 04:53 Hide Post
Don't waste your time with the Grendel. Go with the 6.5x47 Lapua.

Don't think it will fit the AR-15 platform. That is what the Grendel was designed for.

I have two, my first with a 24"barrel, muzzle brake, adjustable stock, is a tack driver plus recoil is so light I can shoot it all day. My second is a 16" gas piston rifle, much lighter and handier to carry, but not as good off a bench or bipod as the big gun. I have been playing with the idea of having one of the little CZ rifles converted, but have been hoping they would offer a 7.62 in a full stock so I could go that route.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Papa 260, I think the claims of supersonic at 1000 yards is with a 28" barrel and the 144 grain Lapua boat tail match bullet. I only load 120 grain soft nose bullets for my CZ 527 Grendel for deer hunting...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote