Find
Notify
Tools

Help me decide
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
Now that I know that I have usable savage action I want to put it to good use. Here's the rub though, most of my gun budget is allocated to the 585 build, so cost is an issue. I figure that if I use the bolt from my other savage and the factory stock, I can get away with just buying the barrel nut, recoil lug, and barrel. That would leave me with a magnum bolt face on a long action. Since I dont have a .25 cal or really any suitable coyote cartridge, (I have been steeling my brothers cooper). I have decided that the gun will be either .25 or 6.5mm. Gun will have a sporter weight 26in barrel. Most of coyote kills in the past were averaging 250yds with my longest being 483yds.

Question:
What cartridge would you choose?

Choices:
6.5 X 300 H&H
6.53 Scramjet
25-264 Winchester Mag
257 weatherby mag
25-6.5 rem mag

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be hard to beat the .257 Weatherby. In a pinch you can make brass from 7mm Rem Mag. Lots of good load data available. And it's smoking fast. I'd never even heard of some of the others.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
257 Whby is way to go. Easy to shoot. Be mindful of barrel twixt if you wish to use heavier bullets.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of those listed I say the .257 Wby but how about a plain ole .264 Win Mag.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
change the bolt head & buy a 6.5x284 barrel.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with the 257 Wea...it is a laser beam with most bullets, brass is avaialbe and no extra forming work to be done. Throat it according to the bullets you plan to use but to be able to use factory ammo too. Don't overheat the barrel and you will be happy with the choice.

Good luck,
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
change the bolt head & buy a 6.5x284 barrel.

because it would be a pain to have to breakdown the entire bolt every time I want to shoot the thing.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 257 wby
don't get a short barrel, < 26"

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think all those you listed are too much rifle for the average distance you're shooting. The 257W and 264 Win Mag are barrel burners too. I agree with the poster that said the 6.5x284 and changing a bolt head on a Savage is as easy as can be in my opinion.

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
I think all those you listed are too much rifle for the average distance you're shooting. The 257W and 264 Win Mag are barrel burners too. I agree with the poster that said the 6.5x284 and changing a bolt head on a Savage is as easy as can be in my opinion.

Coyotes down in Buff co. average around 40lbs. I have personally shot one that weighted 53lbs. So no I dont think that I will be over gunned......Yes I realize that all of the ones I listed are barrel burners but for my use, it should last a few years.

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:

Coyotes down in Buff co. average around 40lbs. I have personally shot one that weighted 53lbs. So no I dont think that I will be over gunned......Yes I realize that all of the ones I listed are barrel burners but for my use, it should last a few years.

I didn't mean in the sense of over gunned in energy...I meant that a 6.5-284 shoots flat enough at the distances you'll be shooting that the calibers you listed are of no advantage. Hell the 25-06 would do you. It's kind of like you want the fastest car on the block and you go and buy a quarter mile dragster rail which yes would be very fast but very impractical. So why would you want to burn barrels out so fast? Even the military doesn't use any of the calibers you listed for long distance sniping.

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank everything for making the decision easy for me. I just put in the order for a 257 Weatherby today. Now I just have to wait 16 weeks.

---Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I am not a big WBY fan, but I like the 257 and 340. Of those you listed, I'd go with the 257, but I'd also give the 264 WM a hard look.!

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote