Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tactical .20 vs .223 Rem
 Login/Join

posted
I would like some input on these two going head to head. Putting them both with a 35gn MEF Berger. You achieve the same velocity. On the other-hand, the Tac. 20 has somewhat a better advantage on B.C. by .025 in this grain weight.
Would ballistics be darn near identical? and bullet drop, how would that differ about the two.

thanks for any comments.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with 35 grain bullets in the .22 cal is with the 35 grain V-Max in the Hornet. In the .22 Hornet the 35 grainer runs out of steam a long time before the 40 grain V-Max the difference is quite significant. In the Tact.20 I shoot a 33 grain V-Max and it's not even in the same ballpark as the 35 .22. Due to bullet length vs caliber the 33 grain .20 has it all over the 35 .22. In fact if you look in Hornadys vol# 5 you'll see the 35 loaded in the Hornet (which it was designed for) and not even recommended in the .223. A better comparison would be a 40 V-Max in the .223 and the .33grain .20, very similar BC's. In that my .223 chronos 3,750ish with a 40 and my Tact.20 gets 4,250ish with the 33. I'm very fond of both rounds but the .20 is far superior to the .223 on light varmints, much flatter shooter. Having said that I must add that I haven't shot Walts 35 grainer and it might amaze me but I'm still betting the .20 has a big edge. My shooting buddy is an old fart much like myself and the first time he shot my .20 at the range on the 300 yard gong he was giggling like a virgin on prom night. 2 inches high at 100 hits 1/2 inch high at 300 and you can see the hit in the scope, happens so fast the guys on benches around you ask what your shooting--"BoomWhap"-- we're talkin light speed . These two rounds are not in the same class,at least in my eyes. I see the .223 at it's best (for varmints ) with a 50 grainer at arould 3,400 fps and the Tact.20 with a 33 at 4,200 to 4,300. I might be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You achieve the same velocity. On the other-hand, the Tac. 20 has somewhat a better advantage on B.C. by .025 in this grain weight.

This is not a fair comparison. Velocity in the .223 will be greater if you load identical weight bullets to maximum pressures. Velocity affects BC, so the difference in BC will be smaller or even non-existent.
With velocity higher, and BC about the same, the .223/35gr. will have a flatter trajectory.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree with you on this one George. When you start going very light for caliber the shorter bullet isn't as stable and lack of weight causes it to bleed velocity much faster. Having shot both 40 grain and 35 grain in both Hornet and K-Hornet the difference is dramatic. The 35 chronos a lot faster but the 40 is markedly more effective at longer distances. What I think is missing from your assertion is consideration of the fact that the same weight in a smaller caliber is much longer plus which I have more room in the Tact.20 case than a .223. Velocity is great but BC to me is equally or more important at distance. Not an apples to apples comparison, and again my experience with the 35 in a .22 is the V-Max and in it it's much like shooting a pointed ping-pong ball, at about 135 yards it goes away. Undoubtedly the Berger is a better bullet, but any way you cut it it's way short for caliber. Look at the long range .223 guys, they shoot long, heavy and slow, short and fast don't cut it. Happy new year to all.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote