Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Classic 6.5x55
 Login/Join

posted
I've been offered one of these to buy (I actually have it in my possession to look over). I really like the feel of it and the look(don't have a scope on it to look through, but the lines are very nice). Do these rifles have any known problems? I've never owned a 700.
What is the twist on the barrel? Any good loads worked up?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one of the Classics in 6.5 x 55

A couple of loads I've worked up are:

45.0 H4350 120 Nosler BT 3.021 oal
47.5 Rel. 19 125 Nosler Part 3.070 oal

Both of these loads will shoot an inch or less center to center at 100 yards.

I've used this rifle to take 1 deer and 1 coyote both with 100 grain Nosler BT's.

Mild recoil, shorter barrel, and fairly light weight make this a nice deer rifle out here on the brushy Oregon coast where shots aren't often over 200 yards.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
8 twist, mine had NICE wood.

One problem, why I sold it. Inside the bbl about 2" from crown the lands were buggered up, as if a crowning tool pilot did the damage.

Fouled and never grouped like I wanted, so it went.

Sad to have had to let it go, but it was problematic, and I hate problem rifles. Did kill 2 deer both with 120 RP corelokts, DRT both.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one as well. Had it pillar bedded. Extremely accurate rifle. And nice looking too.
What a combination!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it feels right, is in good shape, and offered at a decent price grab it. 700s tend to shoot pretty accurately right out of the box and if the trigger needs help many gunsmiths can do a good trigger job or you can install an aftermarket one.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would certainly buy the rifle, if the price is right. A good 6.5x55 is a dream to shoot, and as ideal a Whitetail rig as ever!!

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pat McD, becareful with that 6.5X55, because you are going to love that cart. And the 700 Rem. It is a nice rifle, they seem to fit a person well, and have a good trigger. If the money is wright then take it.

6.5 SWEDE

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yeah, of course I bought it. Rifle is in excellent shape and even came with Leupold mounts. I don't know if $650 is too much, and I don't really care. I paid it.
I've had several surplus Swede Mausers and really enjoyed shooting them, but have never had a modern rifle so chambered. Looking forward to working up some loads and putting it on paper.

one of us
Picture of bama7x57
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if $650 is too much, and I don't really care. I paid it.

Pat

Thats the right attitude! You liked it so you bought it. You can buy a model 700 all day long at walmart for $450, but not a 6.5x55 classic. You could make your money back in about 10 minutes in the classified forum. Enjoy it!

bama7x57

Posts: 84 | Location: alabama | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 questions. What year was the 6.5x55 sweede the year for the 700 classic? And what is the cartridge for 2007?

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
2 questions. What year was the 6.5x55 sweede the year for the 700 classic? And what is the cartridge for 2007?

You can find the year of issue on Remingtons website and they no longer make the "classics"

Posts: 1118 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the Swede was the 1994 edition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous. Enjoy!!

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I was going to make a new thread but decided to bring back an old one instead.

Are these Classic Rem 700's holding their value? (In 6.5x55 Swedish). An all original one showed up in town and I have decent trading material for it if they are coveted. From what I am finding...Remington didn't make very many of them.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What exactly does 6.5x55 offer a US shooter except grief in getting ammunition AND that issue with the base size diameter of the case?

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually ammo is readily available from several sources as well as proper brass. Prices in line with other calibers.
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
What exactly does 6.5x55 offer a US shooter except grief in getting ammunition AND that issue with the base size diameter of the case?

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
My local Wally Worlds and Academy Sports & Outdoors keeps it all in stock Smiler Along with the reloading brass and bullets

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Simply as a piece of trivia I had a factory 700 ADL in 6.5x55 and like an idiot sold it.

Apparently, Remington has some barreled actions left over and put them into ADL stocks and a distributor in TX (IIRC) picked them all up and I got one in about 97 or 98. Sold it to a friend who still shoots into today.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

No more grief then driving down to my local sporting goods store!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
quote:

No more grief then driving down to my local sporting goods store!

Or ordering some on line.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

oldIt just so happens that the base size of American made 6.5x55 ammo and cases are the same as 06 or.308. Ammo and cases are not that hard to get. Loaded by someone who knows what he or she are doing it out classes the CM , .260, and most of the 6.5 military.
The 6.5X55 and the 7X57 (hand loaded) are two of the best all around cartridges to be used in rifles in the lower 48 . beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, I looked for one of these on Gunbroker. They have one. The asking price is $1299. No idea if it will sell for that, but it does sound like the OP got a good deal.

Posts: 7590 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
So is $800 a fair price coffee

Local seller

....I really don't need another rifle rotflmo

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
So is $800 a fair price coffee

Local seller

....I really don't need another rifle rotflmo

It's a fair price if you're willing to pay it.

I don't need another rifle either, but FN commercial Mausers...there's just something about them.

Posts: 7590 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one shot great with R22 120 grain nosler BT, but took safety off once and it fired, also sometimes it wouldn't extract fired Lapua brass, replaced extractor didn't help of course rim is larger dia. on lapua brass, when I shot a running deer and worked bolt and left case in chamber was last time I used it, luckily 1st shot was good. I sold the rifle after that,but I really liked it.Now use Tikka and custom mausers and model 70's.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.