New
Find
Notify
Tools

220 swift throat erosion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am interested in buying a pre 64 mdl 70 220 swift , what should I look for to determine throat erosion?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunny: I own several pre-64 Winchester Model 70's in caliber 220 Swift.
I collect them and seldom shoot any of my collectable Model 70's.
Are you buying the Rifle as an investment or to shoot?
If you are wanting a Rifle to shoot then I highly recommend you take the time to buy or borrow one of Wally Sieberts wonderful bore inspection optical devices.
These are relatively inexpensive ($25.00 to $30.00). But they are wonderful devices for ascertinaing just how much wear and tear has taken place to a barrel, and to the throat or leades of the rifling area of the barrel. This device also is very handy for inspecting the smoothness or finish of a barrels chamber. I never go to a Gunshow or a sport shop without having one of these along!
22 caliber barrels are VERY difficult to accurately assess, wear and tear wise without the aid of a magnifying optical device!
With the Siebert Bore Inspection Tool even 22 caliber barrels are easily assessed for wear - its like looking into a brand new shiney metal garbage can. The rifling and the leades of the rifling should be square looking (they are like this when new or nearly new anyway).
Be sure the barrel is "clean" when you inspect it - or clean it yourself.
Perhaps another way to "check" the barrel if you do not have time to obtain an optical device to inspect the 22 caliber barrel is to ask to shoot it. If you will be buying it to shoot then the proof will be in the "pudding" there when it is shot!
Which model of 220 Swift are you looking at?
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy : Do you have a web site that shows the Bore Inspection Device ? I could use one.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tuck 2: Russ Haydons Shooters Supply used to sell these.
Mr. Siebert of Issaquah, Washington manufactures them but he only sells them in groups of 12 or more. I have bought and sold probably 100 of them.
All my close friends own them and I have never demonstrated the device to an interested person with out that person buying one!
If you buy one and don't like it I will buy it from you!
I think Bruno's used to sell them as well.
Russ Haydon at http://www.shooters-supply.com/
Good luck
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy : Thanks ,I give Haydon a call.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy, Sorry for the late response but have been away. I intend to shoot it but not that much. Am slowly building a pre 64 collection and the 220 has always had my interest. I hunt with all my other calibers and have been to Africa with my .375. Thanks for the information.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunny: I been busy as well! I just did the Spokane, Washington Gunshow over this past weekend. There was for the shortest of times a nice Model 70 standard grade in 220 Swift there. It was in very good condition and still had an excellent bore and leade area!
It was pricey (asking price!) and sold quickly, and then "left the building"!
I have sveral so I was only a mildly interested palyer for it.
I envy you taking the 375 to Africa!
Good for you!
Yeah the old Model 70's had some "minor" glitches but in my experience with them over the past 40 years they are strong, safe, reliable and accurate!
Let me re-emphasize SAFE! Their safeties (operationally and in their resistance to accidental dis-engagement!) are - in my opinion - the safest of any factory Rifle!
I retired two different Model 70's over the decades because they had shot so much game, but I still Hunt on occassion (both Varmints and Big Game) with several of my customized pre-64's!
Truely the Riflemans Rifle!
More later.
Long live the pre-64 Model 70.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmitguy, Do you remember the asking price at the show? Dave Riffle usually lists a mint standard grade for about 18 hundred. Hunted in Southwest montana last year and used my 270 supergrade. Shot a nice whitetail and put a few scratches in the stock, oh well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunny: You may have heard my screams just now - after I read you were using a SUPERGRADE to Hunt the willows!
There are some DANDY Whitetails here in SW Montana! I know, I seen'em!
I did bring to bag a nifty 14 point Whitetail year before last and its mounted on my wall now.
If you get down this away again look me up and I will show it to you.
The 220 Swift standard grade Rifle (with stainless barrel by the way) was being offered at $1,750.00 and I am not certain what it sold for. It was about 96% overall.
Good luck in your search and I will let you know if I come across another.
More later.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmitguy, Thats really not a bad price. Got a really good deal on the supergrade 1500 bucks and it had the original sling and swivels. Sometimes you meet someone who needs the cash and I had a standing offer on that rifle after the original owner passed to the happy hunting grounds.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Here you go, hoss! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=51009957#PIC

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That gun doesnt have an original pad. Its definatly not worth the buy now price.