New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TSX in 224
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought some TSX bullets in 53 and 62 grs with the intent to load the 62gr in an AR-15 and the 53gr in a 22-250. Have any of you loaded these bullets in these calibers? What is your recipe? The game will be deer and hogs in Texas. Have any of yall shot deer and hogs with these bullet weights in these calibers?

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have loaded the 53gr TSX with Varget to about 3800fps in a 22-250 and shot about a dozen deer over the last two seasons. I haven't recovered a single bullet and the only oops was one from shooter error. A follow up and another shot was needed. Shot distances were from 40-350 yards.

I can only imagine the 62gr will have more penetration. The TSX's are long bullets, so the only issue you may have is stabilization on slower twist rifles.

I have zero experience on hogs.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I've tried a few 53 gr. TSX"s in my Tikka T3 Varmint, but can only get a couple shots within 1" and groups run 1.25 to 1.75". Going to try other loads and OAL's, but may not work because of 1:14 twist. Shoots 50 gr. V-Max at 0.3". I'm also interested in posts you get here!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
I bought some TSX bullets in 53 and 62 grs with the intent to load the 62gr in an AR-15 and the 53gr in a 22-250.
Perry

I to was thinking of trying these in my AR. 1:9" twist. Proabably give BenchMark and Varget a go.
Have you tried them yet perry?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the 53 grainers try 36.5gr of IMR-4064. Works great!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
In as much as I really like the performance of all the Barnes bullets IO have tried, I am going to get some of the 53 gr. TSX and run them thru a Ruger Modell 77/22 Hornet on Javelina this next spring.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My load is 38 grains of H380 with the 53 grainers. It is fairly accurate but not perfect, shoots about 2" at 200 yards. Very effective bullet, longest shot was 400 yards on a buck Antelope and it completely scrambled lungs and top of the heart and EXITED the animal.
I think I'm going to work on another load with this bullet that is more accurate and roughly same speed. Have killed many deer with this load and all were dead right there at the shot.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with SD hunter, my experience with the 53 TSX is splendid and I wholeheartidly endorse it.

My wife and I have used it on several deer/lopes/yotes and it is the real deal!

For whatever that is worth.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coyote Caller
posted Hide Post
What size exit hole would the 53 gr make on a coyote with a 22-250? Ive been looking for something that is a little more fur friendly than the 50 gr Vmax.

Posts: 56 | Location: Utah | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you stay away from major bone (spine/shoulder and or the breast bone on a frontal shot) the exit will generally be about the size of a nickle give or take a bit.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
any pictures of the expanded bullet here?,

i have a 5,6x57 that i think would like the 62 or 75 grain of the TSX

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pkt of the 62gr XBT [22560] arrived today. Will work up some loads with Varget and Benchmark probably. Just need to find a starting point?

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
I spoke with a Barnes rep. today and he told me that the bullets can be loaded with the same load data available for conventional bullets of the same weight.
I figured I couldn't go wrong with H335 with the 53's but I still asked what powder he would recommend, H 335 Smiler .

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 53gr in a 223WSSM, shot sub MOA. Took a mule deer at 175 yards, breaking ribs going in and out.

I just shot the same bullets in my Rock River AR last night, 0.66 three shot group using 10X. (0.52 for Sierra 53 gr match bullets :-) ) I am looking forward to using it on does this fall.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote