Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 something ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
While everyone seems to be going to bigger and bigger calibres, I'm looking for something a bit smaller, especially for the light skinned game we have here in Australia. As I'm a 6.5 freak I was thinking along the lines of a 22-250 case necked up to .264, sort of an enlarged 250 savage.I have a Portugese Vergueiro action which would go well in a full wood stock with about a 19 inch barrel .
The problem has always been the lack of easily available cases with a useable rim size and a capacity between 223 and 308, the 6.5x50 or 52 would be good but too hard to find cases for, so the 250 case seems the way to go.
So if anyone has any ideas, info on pressures,etc. or anything that might help.......lets hear it !!

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the 6.5X47 Lapua.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Looking at the case dimensions, there does'nt appear to be a lot of difference, and I can get 22-250 cases anywhere !

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe a necked up 22-250 would be extremely similar to the 260 Rem. Why reinvent the wheel when a perfectly good wheel and tire are sitting on the shelf ready to be installed?

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes6.5x55 homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Pancho said! If you can't get 260 brass, you can make it easily from 308 or 243 brass.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yuma, 6.5 Swede would be the way to go, but it really needs the long action to do it justice.. if your action is shorter, go the 260 Rem. There's bugger all difference.

I've recently rebarrelled my Ruger 270 to the Swede, and I couldn't be happier... apart from giving my ex the flick.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I've necked up 22.250 and put a 6.5 bullet on it just playing around to see what it looked like, since the primer pocket was loosened and the brass was junk...

I thought it was a pretty slick looking little round...

if 22.250 brass is available readily... and 243 is not, then go with what you have..

some of my American brethern here don't realize that in other parts of the world, components aren't necessarily as readily available as here in the USA...you gotta use what you have..

for bullet weights from 85 grains to 120 grains you can use readily available 250 Savage data...

for heavier bullets, you could probably reference conservatively loaded 6.5 x 52 Carcano data, just work up from a hair lower...

what you are considering may be thought by many to be a 'wildcat' but in reality, you are not exactly reinventing the wheel, so I'd ignore any criticism you might get from some of your all knowing mates over it...

good luck with your project..
beer

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nobody has mentioned the 6.5 Grendel yet, so i'll do it.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-250. Is that the 6.5 International.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
The 6.5-250. Is that the 6.5 International.

Von Gruff.

For lack of a better name, I'd say "yes".

Certainly the .250 Savage necked down to 6 m/m is the "6 m/m International". I have a reamer for that down in my shop. So, no reason why the 6 m/m International necked up to 6.5 wouldn't be properly called the "6.5 International".

It's been around for about 60+ years or more, BTW.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.......seafire2 seems to have hit the nail on the head.I'm after a mild cartridge like the 6.5 jap and carcano to use in an old action. I 'm not trying to re-invent the wheel, I know what cartridges are available...factory and wildcat ! I already have a 6.5x55, several actually,a 6.5 zipper imp.and a 6.5 RCBS (6.5-06 IMP.)Reproducing the 6.5 jap with a more readily available case is the purpose of the exercise and also to resurrect a classic action and rifle style....the full wood mannlicher alpine rifle......whizz bang uber velocity shoot a mile dinosaur stoppers don't interest me.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
.......Reproducing the 6.5 jap with a more readily available case is the purpose of the exercise Roger

Actually you can do just that using 220 Swift cases. Eeker beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Excellent !! I'll start looking for some swift cases. Thank you

Roger

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I should have thought about it earlier..

the IHMSA cartridges are based on the 300 Savage..

Hodgdon # 26 has load data for the IMHSA cartridges, using Hodgdon, which are mostly ADI powders...

they list a 6.5 IMHSA in there, with bullet weights from 85 to 160 grains...so that should set you up for load data...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....decided to stay with the 22-250 case, only have to increase neck diameter (I'm lazy ).
These are dummy rounds,left to right :
6.5 zipper imp.-99 savage
6.5 savage -port. vergueiro
6.5 jap
6.5 carcano

I think the 6.5 savage will make a nice efficient carbine round.

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5 BR is a nice case to shoot! I have on on a mod 7 Rem. Shoots VERY small groups as well as these little Blacktails here in Or.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 6.5 Intl looks like a very handy little cartridge. Another advantage of using a home brewed wildcat is you can control the operating pressure in your Vergueiro action. Might even make a nice round for the T/C Contender if you can convince the barrel maker you won't firewall it. Please keep us posted.

posted Hide Post
go with the .260 remington. brass is easily formed from .243, 7mm-08 and 308 . it is an excellent round with high ballistic coefficient.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What would be wrong with a 6.5 x 308 Win? or perhaps a 6.5 X .300WSM

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
A 6.5 on a 250 case would be very similar to a 6.5x47Lapua.

I would just do the 260, if you want to be exotic, do the Lapua.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a Portugese Vergueiro action which would go well in a full wood stock with about a 19 inch barrel .

Roger

Is it a 1904 that was a 6.5x58 or the 1904/39 in 8x57? (not that it matters that much, just curious)

Sounds as though you've picked your wildcat-- though you can go with a longer cartridge in the action if you choose.
Like a 260 AAR.

I have"too many" 6.5's I am told Roll Eyes
from small case capacity to outlandish.

The AAR is one of my favorites.

What twist are you considering?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Why is it that everybody wants me to use a bigger case ?
The object was to duplicate the 6.5 jap, the 250 case seems the closest all round.
The 1904 was an 8mm, not sure on twist yet , depends on if I use 100 or 129 gr pills.....any suggestions ???

Roger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
The object was to duplicate the 6.5 jap,Roger

Personally I think you could not do better if you're a roll your own guy. sofaanother roger

posted Hide Post
I gota say I love allmost any 6.5 and full stock rifles, and I think your 6.5x250 would be a great cartridge for what you are needing it for. good luck with it be shure to post your results

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
The object was to duplicate the 6.5 jap, the 250 case seems the closest all round.
The 1904 was an 8mm, not sure on twist yet , depends on if I use 100 or 129 gr pills.....any suggestions ???
popcornAfter studying the 6.5 Jap cartridge design and performance level with a 140 grain bullet, it might well be that you are looking at an optimum light weight, low recoil rifle for deer size animals out to ,perhaps, 200 yds. shocker Definitely in the winner catagory IMHO claproger

Roger

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:

Roger

Match type bullet twist:
Generally for 100's 10 to 11
120's 9 to 10
130's 8 to 9
140's 8

Most of my original rifles run 8 to 9, some of them handle the lighter bullets well some do not.
almost all were original designed for 156 to 160 grains, most handle the 140's, 142's nicely and all do well with the 160's.

One of my long range 6.5's I had a 7 twist made for some custom ( and very long) 155's.

The 250 case is not a bad case---just has a tad shorter neck than I prefer, kind of like the old 308 Norma/300 Win debate.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
One of my long range 6.5's I had a 7 twist made for some custom ( and very long) 155's.

Do you recall the names of the two cartridges Developed by Dr. Ramon Somavia of Hollister, California in about 1959-1960? They used about a 6-1/2" twist and shot 6.5 bullets of 180 grains, IIRC. (I think he also experimented with 200 grainers.)

Anyway, they were written up in Guns magazine, among others, about 1960 or 1961. I was a Sheriff's Deputy in Hollister at the time, and know he did a lot of work on them, with rather good results.

Interestingly enough, he was the heir to one of the origninal Spanish California land grant ranches of 70,000-to-100,000 acres, and his wife had inherited another similar sized land grant ranch right next door. Two of the classic Old California gentry, the likes of which no longer exist. Both were honest, fabulously rich, and very much into the sports of the West, as well as breeding very fine livestock.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Have not read that article.

Got my start playing with the 6.5's after a conversation with Mr. Ackley many years ago.

He gave me info about Dr. E.L. Arch and his 7 and 5 1/4 twist rifles.

Apparently Barnes made him some 200 grain bullets for the 5 1/4 twist.

My 7 twist is a 6.5/300 WWH, built
(while I (ahem) " assisted")
by an old German gunsmith that had come to Texas after WWII.

It was my first project with him, later he actually agreed to-- "attempt" to train me, as he oft reminded me.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:

Apparently Barnes made him some 200 grain bullets for the 5 1/4 twist..

Fred, indeed, made these heavy 6.5 bullets and had made up a rifle of his own to test them.It was, IMSC, along throated, fast twist, .264 Magnum. If memory serves correctly , Fred's buddy Jack Whitworth was doing heavy 6.5s also. beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about the 260 AAR.It should shoot with the best of them and be a little different.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I remember some articles about a heavy bullet .25 with the author claining to have discovered "aerodynamic lift" unique to the long roundnose bullets in his wildcat. Was that Dr. Ramon Somavia? I believe he was shooting 160 gr custom made Barnes bullets. The jist of the article was that long bullets would "lift" and shoot flatter than gravity would allow.
BTW -- The Vergueiro was made by Steyr before the Portuguese took over it's manufacture and they were made in 6.5x58 and then converted to 8x57JS. A small number of carbines were made in 7x57 and shipped to Brazil. Hard to mount a scope on these things as the rear receiver ring is split.

Posts: 11 | Location: CA | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
I would suggest the 6.5X47 Lapua.

DocEd gave ya some great advice. This is a 6.5X47Lapua necked down to 6MM next to a 6TallBR and a .243.
Leave as a 6.5 for what your talking.

Great brass, extremely accurate, modest yet outstanding performer. Don't have to form anything and buy factory dies.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 106rr:
I remember some articles about a heavy bullet .25 with the author claining to have discovered "aerodynamic lift" unique to the long roundnose bullets in his wildcat. Was that Dr. Ramon Somavia?

Sorry, but I honestly no longer know the answer to that, if I ever did. I can't even look it up any more. I don't recall Ramon ever having said that, but that doesn't mean he didn't.

Until about 10 years ago I had a copy of every isue of "Guns" magazine ever published up 'til then, ditto several other "gun" magazines, such as Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, the American Rifleman, etc. It finally just became too much, space and time wise, to maintain.

So I took several of the comnplete sets, "Guns" being one of them, to the range, the local VA hospital, a local sporting goods store, etc., and just left them there for anyone who wanted any to take home, free. I wish I had had the time, knowledge, and equipment to make CDs or DVD's of them all, but if wishes were horses, beggars could ride.

I honestly believe Ramon Somavia spent the great majority of his experimental time available working with bullets much heavier than 160 grains in the 6.5 m/m bore......

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and check out the 6.5 grendel, its a great case and should do exactly what your looking for.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgulla:
Do yourself a favor and check out the 6.5 grendel, its a great case and should do exactly what your looking for.

On the Vergueiro the bolt face is .473 ish
the Grendel is .439 you could make it work , but it is suboptimal.
Also, the action will feed better with longer rounds (without spacer mods to the magazine)

Don't get me wrong-- I have a Grendel (in an AR type action)and a Creedmoor, and several other 6.5's.

I would just not use it in this instance.

His 6.5/250 choice;
or a 6.5x52, x54, x55, x57, x58, AAR, etc, etc in this action IMO, are better choices.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

posted Hide Post
Is the Verqueiro made for rimmed, semi-rimmed, or rimless case? If you want to recreate the 6.5 Japanese, it can be formed from .303 British. That should be a readily available case for you. Turn the rim down to .475 or .473 if that's what the Vergueiro requires and neck the Brit down in steps. You can start with a 308 Win die with the expander button removed, then a 7/08 die, then a 6.5 Jap die. Yes it's a bit bigger in the head than samples of the Jap case you'll find, but it will fit a Arisaka chamber, as they were large, for dirty ammo. I've done it with both the 30/40 Krag and .303 British. In fact several years ago I wrote Norma about the woefully undersized 6.5 Jap they were selling on the American market, and their 6.5 Jap now has the same head size as the .303 British. To have a peep at that go to: http://www.norma.cc/content.as...20Japanese%20Arisaka