Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger PC Carbine
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Got one of these 9mm carbines this week and went on the first outing with it.

First Impressions: It's 'chunky'; certainly solid, a bit heavier than I expected. I don't consider it a problem, just an observation. Seems well made and well thought out. I like the take-down feature; it's like the take-down 10-22 just a little more robust. I switched it out to the Glock magazine application and that only took a couple minutes.

Shooting: I used six different Glock magazines and several different types of ammo; 115, 124 and 147 grain. Included ball ammo, commercial hollow-points, Blazer, and some nasty Indian surplus military ammo I bought a bunch of years ago. I intentionally mixed rounds in magazines. Everything functioned 100%; feeding and ejection was no problem.

The unit fits in the 10-22 Takedown bag no problem.

I've have (or had) several other PC carbines; Keltec 2000 40, Beretta Storm 9mm, HiPoint 45, and JustRight Carbine 45. My favorite one was the Beretta Storm but it's now on permenant loan to my granddaughter. Never bonded with the Keltec although it functioned fine, I just didn't like shooting it and couldn't mount optics on it easily. The JR Carbine 45acp was a major disappointment; it was very ammo specific and I just couldn't make it work right (sent it back twice). I still have the HiPoint .45; yes it's major league fugley but it goes bang with whatever type of ammo it is given.

Awaiting a thread adaptor so I can run rounds through the Ruger with a suppressor.

At this point in time I have to give the Ruger PC Carbine at least a B+ I'll see if running it with a can affects it's function. Ruger certainly has the take-down feature figured out and being able to use Glock mags is a big plus. One of these in the family Truckster along with a Glock 17/19 in the storage bag would make for great ace-in-the-hole.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I.have the original pc 4 40 s&w,carbine it's awesome .I hope they bring.The new one out in40 s&w,too.I.shoot 200 grain hornady xtp at 1200 fps it's a 10 mm .I want to deer hunt with it.many friends used them for up to 100 yards .I.can shoot 1.5 inches groups at 100 yards with my 200 grain.load .I.have a Burris 2x7 mini.scope .

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I'm told that the design lends itself to other calibers. Some of the internals are marked '9mm', which I think supports the notion that other calibers are on the drawing board. Would be nice to see it in 40, 10mm, and 45.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the review, Matt.

I saw the piece in American Rifleman and thought it looked like it might be a good deal.

I look forward to seeing your future results.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt: From your list of carbines it appears you have an interest. Try a Mech Tech in 460 Rowland. Not a takedown but it has a telescoping butt stock or an M4 type butt stock. 45 ACP also works.

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9YJc2Gxkis
after reading your post. Certainly looks like fun. I would like to know its accuracy at about 50 yards off a bench.

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are fun little carbine .I need trigger job on my 40 s&w,one then it should be even more fun to shoot .I have not meet a kids yet that has not loved to shoot it !

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote