Find
Notify
Tools

Cooper rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy y'all....

Us folk downunder don't often get to see many (if any) high grade rifles...

Mate sent me a link to Cooper rifles, and they sure look the goods, and their accuracy standards are certainly up there.

From a few enquiries I've made, there appears to be a 'bit of an issue' about donations made, but let's leave that out of the discussion, please.

What are your thoughts about the rifles Cooper produces? Worth the money? Are there better rifles out there in the same price range?

I'll be posting the exact same question on the medium bore forum as well.

Ta Muchly.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a cooper 22-250AI and it does shoot well as a single shot.

I have a remington 700 that shoots better and is a repeater in the 22-250AI range and it was ~ $400 dollars cheaper.

I had thought in the past that I would buy a cooper when they came out with a repeater in my caliber (.224 mainly), but after seeing what coopers are charging for there repeater in the 30 cal range, I doubt if I pick up one anytime soon.

After seeing what Savage has been doing, (I just helped a friend sight his in .308), I am looking at picking a few more of these up.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a cooper 52 in 06 and its a very well made rifle. very accurate, very well made. is it worth the price? that my friend is a question that can only be answered in your own mind. today as quality increases price escalated at a greater rate. somewhere in the scheme they may cross. my cooper was expensive when looking at say a ruger or remmy, but looking at say a dakota it was cheap. would i buy it again, sure, i would , why - because i value craftsmanship and am willing to pay for it.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .218 Mashburn Bee (Model 38 in Montana Varminter) that has beautiful wood and is VERY accurate (easy .5" at 100yds). Customer service is excellant - I had one issue and they promptly corrected. You can't get the non-standard calibers from others, and a custom would have cost me a lot more. I just wish they made more repeaters. I also have a .17HMR that is about the same price as an Anschutz(sp?)and very accutae - I wish I had not bought it because the wood is so nice I am nervous about taking it out!!

Posts: 64 | Location: MS & Louisiana | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a spare one in .22 PPC (does not get a lot of use, I shoot .222 Rem much more these days). I'll sell it to you. I can even include brass and dies, as well as load data.

Single shot, entry level varmint model (forget the name).

Not quite sure how I'd get it to Aussie Land, though... Smiler

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Im on the other side of the Tasman and had the same thoughts some time ago.Iv ended up with a cooper model 52 excalibur in 280ai.Very hard to find a rifle with 1/2 inch guarentee out of the box for the money.Im looking to buy another one next year in .243 when their short action repeater comes out.Worth every cent to me.Shoots in the .3s ( not just the odd group but consistantly)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rugeruser,

are you in support of more stringent gun control over there? Do you vote on a candidate's position on gun ownership (for or against)?

We do here, and there are only two sides in the USofA. You believe in the right to keep and bear arms, or you don't. Cooper's owner does not, and contributed to the anti-gun candidate.

I wouldn't let someone with a Cooper park in my driveway or hunt on my property; and I damn sure ain't spending a penny with them.

Rich
I took an oath to protect this country against all enemies, domestic and foreign when I joined the Army. I didn't untake it when I was discharged.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan Cooper made a donation to Barrack Obama, fact!
Cooper arms has since been purchased by the man/Company that own Wilson barrels Fact!
Dan Cooper is no longer attached to Cooper in "any way" Fact!

Boycotting Cooper arms at this point is only hurting all the employees of a rifle company now owned by Wilson barrels who has been with our American arms companies for a long time.

Dan Cooper is an IDIOT!!! But get the facts before destroying an American gun company when there are so darn few left.
As to your signature, I took the same oath when I joined the Corps and feel as strongly as you do about this Country and my and your 2nd Amendment rights.

Kudos to your signature and your stance on it by-the-way thumb . And I wouldn't piss on Dan Cooper if he was on fire!!!

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I think this ground has been plowed before, by the three of us. And once again let me thank both of you for your service.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fellas,

thanks for the 'on track' replies, much appreciated.

Idaho, we have far more stringent controls over here, and it's something a number of us have been fighting for a fair few years... to ask if I'm in favour of more stringent controls is way beside the point, and rather fatuous.

As Geedubya pointed out on the same thread, where does one draw the line?

I own a Mauser actioned rifle, and the action was made just prior to WWII...

I own a Jap car, plenty of Jap and other apppliances, and just so you know, I lost some of my forebears in both the European and Pacific Theratres, my own family arrived in Australia after the fleeing the Japs, my former wife's family arrived after fleeing the Germans - both families saaw some pretty horrific things, and endured much that is not recorded in the history books. Despite being a refugee, my M-I-L was straffed and bombed by American airmen.

That was then...

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In response to your original question.
I have a number of Coopers and a goodly number of custom done rifles as well. In my personal opinion a fella would have to look long and hard or get darned lucky to find a rifle that produces better accuracy and performance than the Coopers especially for the money.
In a hunting rifle if I ever run across a .280 Ackley Improved in the model 52 with the synthetic stock on it the seller will have to be asking a fair stupid price on it to keep me from being the new owner Wink .

Coincidentally, an Aussie friend I have gotten to know from another site who shares similar past family experiences to some of your yours visited the last couple of days while on vacation with his wife. Yesterday I took him up to one of my hunting spots to show him around and as luck would have it we received our first snow of the year yesterday as well. He stated that at 53 it was his first time to see and experience that kind of snow. I stopped in it and we got out at which time I made a snow ball and smacked him in the chest with it before jumping back into the vehicle. I explained it was a day of firsts, he saw his first snow - got in his first snowball fight - and lost, all on the same day Big Grin.

If you get a chance to pick up a Cooper I highly doubt you'd be disappointed.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback montdoug, hehehe, I hope you didn't 'pack down' the snowball like my young bloke did the first time he saw snow over here... (I'm gunna divert my own thread here)... I used to play first grade baseball, and was a great hitter, baseman and outfielder, but a lousy pitcher and an even worse short stop... Young fella and I had a snow fight, and all was good while the snowballs were 'shaped handfulls of snow' but while my back was turned, my young bloke packed a snowball and whacked me fair in the chest... what he sent my way was a ball of solid ice... by crikey it hurt!! dancing

Back on topic, I'm now grappling with the horns of a dilemma... had a look at and handled the new front locking Schultz and Larsen... one a standard set up, the other a 'take down'....

Decisions, decisions.....

posted Hide Post
Rugeruser if you liked the S&L then the titan 6 might be worth a look as well. I have one in .243 luxus,it wont shoot with my cooper but it comes a bloody close second.The three otheres I know of are just as good.Also been some very good write ups from your Aus gun mags.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cooper is still in involved, I was at a gunshow for cooper rifles and he was there. I sold off my last cooper rifle a few months ago. Take a look at a Dakota Predator, they are outstanding

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote